Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 168 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2016, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #391
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photokina will start in 2 weeks...No rumours from Ricoh's side.

09-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #392
Pentaxian

And what if nothing new was announced ?

What if things are progressing smoothly and slowly as usual, and Ricoh is happy with the current situation, which leads more or less to :
- new 645 lens & APS-C wide zoom announced and released sometime end of 2016,
- new APS-C topclass 28/32 Mpix SLR in development, and released 6 months later than next Sony Alpha flagship,
- new FF fixed focal lenses in preparation for 2017 or later, same thing for theta and GR,
- future of Q and WG systems under business case challenge evaluation ?

=> RI's business as usual, their own way of life.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-04-2016 at 01:27 AM.
09-04-2016, 02:09 AM   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And exactly this is the old idea of the Photokina.
To show the complete,current program and maybe some new stuff.
The time that the camera and lens manufacturer planned with the date of Photokina,is long time ago.
But boring is the Photokina never,I never will missing one.
09-04-2016, 02:15 AM   #394
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Photokina will start in 2 weeks...No rumours from Ricoh's side.
I think we have seen all new products for this year. No idea why K-70 was'nt saved for an announcement in Cologne.

09-04-2016, 02:42 AM   #395
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think we have seen all new products for this year. No idea why K-70 was'nt saved for an announcement in Cologne.
Why wait, if it was ready?

Perhaps a better question would be: "why wasn't it announced last year?" (Or at some other suitable show).

7 months ago, asahi man said "Looks like 2 new APS-C Bodys this year". I wonder if that is still the case (counting the K-70 as one of them)?
09-04-2016, 03:25 AM   #396
Pentaxian

As far as Ricoh just confirm that new primes are indeed comming in 2017 and not later- I'm good.
Aps-c wide angle zoom is on the roadmap at least since 2013, and still all we get is only another delay by each year roadmap update.
09-04-2016, 03:50 AM   #397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Why wait, if it was ready?

Perhaps a better question would be: "why wasn't it announced last year?" (Or at some other suitable show).

7 months ago, asahi man said "Looks like 2 new APS-C Bodys this year". I wonder if that is still the case (counting the K-70 as one of them)?
Yes,the 70 was one of them and all of them.
Everything strictly for 2017 and later,what we will see is a show of the current program,new accessories and maybe new stuff for theta.
With luck,prototypes of lenses behind glass,like last Photokina two years ago.
But nobody knows exactly about these terms,I remember the Photokina under Hoya.
During small talk with the Pentax stuff,behind in the trade area,the Japanese product manager take a grip under the table and than holds two mock ups of the K7 in his hands.
We could try the body and he asks all known Pentax intensive user and reseller,which body would be better.
The smaller or the higher body.
At the end comes the smaller body in form of the KG.
So,a Photokina is never boring.
With open eyes and ears,you will get lots of little things if you can ask and talk with the right people
It looks like,no big photo bomb this Photokina,not only for Pentax.
Massive new stuff is ready and on the market or not a secret anymore.
Best regards

09-04-2016, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #398
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Yes,the 70 was one of them and all of them.
Everything strictly for 2017 and later,what we will see is a show of the current program,new accessories and maybe new stuff for theta.
With luck,prototypes of lenses behind glass,like last Photokina two years ago.
But nobody knows exactly about these terms,I remember the Photokina under Hoya.
During small talk with the Pentax stuff,behind in the trade area,the Japanese product manager take a grip under the table and than holds two mock ups of the K7 in his hands.
We could try the body and he asks all known Pentax intensive user and reseller,which body would be better.
The smaller or the higher body.
At the end comes the smaller body in form of the KG.
So,a Photokina is never boring.
With open eyes and ears,you will get lots of little things if you can ask and talk with the right people
It looks like,no big photo bomb this Photokina,not only for Pentax.
Massive new stuff is ready and on the market or not a secret anymore.
Best regards
Good lord. Well so long as it's mockups he's gripping under the table at Photokina and not the goolies of the Pentax Forums interviewer, I'm sure we'll be hearing more in due course.
09-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I called the 2nd option "extreme" because I don't think there is anything plausible beyond it. Not because I thought it was very unlikely; I think it will turn out to be the case.

I don't think we should worry about the 1st "extreme". I just wanted it on the table, mainly because I've seen concerns that it may happen. Sometimes in debates it is useful to identify people's concerns so that they won't feel ignored. It has the characteristic that if we simply knew that there would be a new flagship, we could dismiss that extreme without knowing any details.

(To some extent, I was actually talking to myself, but in public!)
Oh, but we can - and should - dismiss it.
09-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Good lord. Well so long as it's mockups he's gripping under the table at Photokina and not the goolies of the Pentax Forums interviewer, I'm sure we'll be hearing more in due course.
You know, there are a couple features still missing that are needed to support full remote control of a camera.... It seems with the built in WI-FI we can adjust every button on the K-1... Haven't tried it, but think that is the case, but what
is missing are two critical things----- the ability to Zoom and pan. Now the panning could be handled by building it in to the Aux-battery pak that can be added to the bottom of the camera bodies...-- simply put a tripod mount that can be
rotated by a worm gear motor. the second is a zoom lens that can be remotely controlled.
09-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Having a K-3, what features would make you buy (a real decision) such APSC flagship ? Would you spend 1k for the 4k video ? or 10fps? anything else?
That good question. For me personally: FPS from 8.3 doesn't matter and that not my stuff really. 4K video, again not my stuff. I quite understand some would be interrested and I think we need at least the 4K tag even if not perfect so that the camera doesn't get trolled by reviewers.

But what would make me think seriouly:
- A real progress on AF This is quite easy: 33 AF point of K1 or greater and the optical system introduced for K1 that enlarge the coverage area. We would be near D500 coverage. With update algoritms and maybe a bit more AF point, Ricoh could also provide comparable performance AF to D500.
- A real progress on high iso, Basically what was started with K1 and K70 maybe futher improved and combined with BSI or something. So that in practice we gain at least 1EV.

Make both together, and really I'll take one once the price settled a bit after the early adopters wave.

What will make it buy as soon as I can get the money would smaller/lighter with EVF. You can make it FF even if you want, no issue I'll grab the improved high iso as I'll be able to select in the viewfinder what area I want to see anyway for APSC lenses; Make it quite smaller, 500g instead of 800g and ensure the LV AF is decent, as this will be the only one available. You'd need at least the performance we have on OMD10, or something so that quite reliable. This in K-mount, of course. Instant buy for me.
09-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An APS-C body that has a focus peaking HUD-like overlay, veiwable through the optical viewfinder, would get me interested. I'm not sure how possible that would be within the space and cost constraints though.
09-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
An APS-C body that has a focus peaking HUD-like overlay, veiwable through the optical viewfinder, would get me interested. I'm not sure how possible that would be within the space and cost constraints though.
you need contrast detection for focus peaking. so the mirror must be up and the shutter open. No OVF anymore. So you would need full oled screen in the viewvinder. Attached to the focussing screen or somehow in front of the pentaprism. A Hybrid viewfinder. The first option would cause you to loose a lot of VF brightness:

The second options would probably result in a much bigger pentaprism housing to accomodate the screen and the optics to switch from OVF to EVF.
09-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
you need contrast detection for focus peaking. so the mirror must be up and the shutter open. No OVF anymore. So you would need full oled screen in the viewvinder. Attached to the focussing screen or somehow in front of the pentaprism. A Hybrid viewfinder. The first option would cause you to loose a lot of VF brightness:

The second options would probably result in a much bigger pentaprism housing to accomodate the screen and the optics to switch from OVF to EVF.
Would you go the hybrid route and still want OVF, you can use a semi translucent mirror, like Sony did and if contrast as well as on sensor PDAF is great, you can remove the dedicated AF sensor for OVF... That would help compensate the size/cost of hybrid. But sure that overall you'd get darket viewfinder in OVF mode.
09-04-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #405
Pentaxian

Sony's slt's don't have an OVF