Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #526
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think you're investing magical properties in inanimate objects, Uluru.
I've shot with the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art on both my K-1 and A7, and to be honest, now prefer and have moved on to the FA31 f1.8.
Sigma's lenses are inferior to good Pentax lenses.
So I understand your move and support it.

09-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
There is no zoom substitute for an f1.2 or f1.4 prime. Any photographer can see that.
So it is not a matter of carrying around many lenses in the bag, or just one on the camera, but about achieving something what a zoom cannot touch. You never used 35/1.4 on a high performance FF camera like the D810, or 50mm Summilux or Noctilux on Leica M240, so I can understand.

If you, in such a moment, go for zoom and crank up ISO, just because it is easier for you, you certainly compromise on many things and refuse to learn a valuable photographic lesson. You simply never learn what is possible and keep on going like that. It goes with any hobby or profession; you work only within your comfort zone, delivering predictable results.

I am not stating "you specifically", but anyone who dismisses things a priori, and because they too never saw results coming out of the other option, it was never explained to them. With a good prime lens one becomes a much better photographer, there is no doubt about it.

With a 35/1.4 lens on an FF camera you will learn more in 7 days than what you have learned in 7 years of using zooms.
So, when did you purchase a K-1, and when do you plan to start showing images created using it with a wide angle prime lens at f/1.7 or wider?

I looked through the images posted by you in galleries and albums.

I found a lot of created images ... I'm guessing many of them are ones you copied from elsewhere.

I found a few pictures taken by you with your K-7.
The majority of them were taken using a prime lens ... the DA70! {equiv view roughly to 105mm lens mounted on K-1}
I didn't see any taken with an aperture of less than f/2.8.
I'd be a lot more impressed by this sermon if it followed a path of demonstrated use of wide angle lenses at f/1.7 or wider.

added comment: I did spend an entire day on vacation voluntarily restricting myself to using just a 37mm prime lens; I learned two things from that exercise:

(1) I can do it

(2) I don't like it any more than I did when I had a rangefinder camera.

Last edited by reh321; 09-13-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added comment
09-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #528
Veteran Member

In the crop world, consumer kits are sold, yes.

But times have changed — next to crop DSLRs, who buys a 35mm FF DSLR to go around with a toy kit lens on it? Do you really think people are buying a 35mm state-of-the-art camera to attach to it an entry level zoom, bigger and heavier than a kit crop zoom?

A company must have an arsenal of capable optics for serious FF imaging these days. Pentax has addressed standard 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 zooms that are needed for the use of modern FFs.

Now is time for fast primes.
I'd be pretty damn happy with an equivalent to new nikkor 16-60 2.8-4 ff kit lens.
09-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #529
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, when did you purchase a K-1, and when do you plan to start showing images created using it with a wide angle prime lens at f/1.7 or wider?

I looked through the images posted by you in galleries and albums.
I found a lot of created images ... I'm guessing many of them are ones you copied from elsewhere.
No, I created them from scratch. I shot them, I finished them. I used Pentax DSLR for those, therefore I posted them here. I use Pentax crop DSLR as a sketching tool. So those were the sketches. I have an idea, then do some compositions which are 'roughs'. When the idea crystalises, then I use other equipment to make a final project.

QuoteQuote:
The majority of them were taken using a prime lens ... the DA70! {equiv view roughly to 105mm lens mounted on K-1}
I didn't see any taken with an aperture of less than f/2.8.
I'd be a lot more impressed by this sermon if it followed a path of demonstrated use of wide angle lenses at f/1.7 or wider.
Those were done many years ago. I used Pentax short-tele prime because, as said, I prefer Pentax primes. I always advocate people to buy Pentax lenses. I did not use wide lenses at f1.7 because Pentax does not have them. For those things I use something else, but did not post because this is Pentax Forum. If Pentax comes with a 35/1.4, and it is a good lens, and if Pentax comes with interesting 85mm prime lenses for the FF, I may consider buying a K-1 or whatever DSLR they make by then.

QuoteQuote:
(1) I can do it
(2) I don't like it any more than I did when I had a rangefinder camera.
I doubt you can do it. Because if you can do it properly, you would like it. You only scratch it, and retreat to a safe zone. For 35mm shooting one must too kneel down to ground, and crawl. But folks, in time, and in certain age, think it is below their dignity.

09-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #530
Veteran Member

Isn't Sigma art 35 1.4 available for k mount. And the Sigma 85 1.4. Image samples look great in the review section.
09-14-2016, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #531
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Same goes for Pentax. Ricoh is serious, Ricoh has a plan, right. All history of Pentax, from early days of Asahi is now history of Ricoh Imaging. Time to promote the brand, and Ricoh will do their best, right.
HD Takumars on the table, please.

---------- Post added 09-14-2016 at 11:11 AM ----------

The idea is to maximise the time with a camera, and coming to get to know the subject. Reduce the distance, not keep it.

Otherwise we have zoom enabled paparazzi 'photography', and wildlife 'photography'. And that's what photography has turned into.
Next time when you take 70-200 to 'photograph' your relatives and family, and things you care about, think about that.
I shoot with primes a lot. The reason to shoot with a zoom is not for papparazi photography, but because it is flexible. To use your 70-200 example, you can shot a relatively wide shot at 70mm and then zoom in and get a head and shoulders shot. This can be pretty handy.

The reasons to shoot primes are for smaller size, better flare resistance, and wider apertures. Otherwise, they are all just lenses and they are what you make of them.

Back to the topic, clearly Pentax decided the most important thing was to have focal lengths covered with zooms from the beginning and then fill in the prime spots that were missing. We have focal lengths from 15 to 450mm covered right now with zooms, with primes at 31mm, 43mm, 50mm, 55mm, 77mm, 100mm, 200mm, and 300mm (I may have missed a couple -- I'm doing this from memory). I have used the majority of those lenses and have found them quite good. The FA 50 needs updating and maybe they should add some weather sealing to other primes than the 100, 200 and 300, but if you are a prime person, you could do a lot worse than start with a K-1 and a set of FA limiteds. To me, the big gap is the area wider than 30mm and maybe an 85mm f1.4 lens too.
09-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #532
Pentaxian

Those were done many years ago. I used Pentax short-tele prime because, as said, I prefer Pentax primes. I always advocate people to buy Pentax lenses. I did not use wide lenses at f1.7 because Pentax does not have them. For those things I use something else, but did not post because this is Pentax Forum. If Pentax comes with a 35/1.4, and it is a good lens, and if Pentax comes with interesting 85mm prime lenses for the FF, I may consider buying a K-1 or whatever DSLR they make by then.
You used a tele-prime, never at an aperture wider than f/2.8; you could have used a Pentax wide-angle prime at that same aperture, or wider, so why didn't you do that? Perhaps Pentax has not had wide f/1.7 lenses, but they've had f/2 wide lenses and f/1.7 50mm lenses {I have both}, and I see no evidence of your having owned either of them. So you're speaking out of ignorance. Demonstrate your use with these tools, demonstrate your own ability to get close enough to the subject to know it {in your words}, and then maybe someone will care what you have to say.

I doubt you can do it. Because if you can do it properly, you would like it. You only scratch it, and retreat to a safe zone. For 35mm shooting one must too kneel down to ground, and crawl. But folks, in time, and in certain age, think it is below their dignity.
This is a really dumb sequence of statements. I already told you that I used nothing but primes for the first dozen years of my experience with 35mm equipment. I did do it. I did not like it, because I had could not get both the perspective {distance from subject} and the framing I wanted. This has nothing to do with dignity. It has to do with results.

09-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #533
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
(...)

All six of the TL lenses are based on designs by Konica Minolta.

APO Macro Elmarit 60mm f2.8
KonicaMinolta 60mm F2.8 Macro?????????????So-net???

Summilux TL 35mm f1.4
KonicaMinolta 35mm F1.4(APS-C Mirrorless)?????????????So-net???

APO Vario Elmar 55-135mm f3.5-5.6
KonicaMinolta 55-135mm F3.5-5.6?????????????So-net???

Super Vario Elmar 11-23mm f3.5-4.5
KonicaMinolta 11-23mm F3.5-4.5?????????????So-net???

Summicron 23mm f2
KonicaMinolta 23mm F2?????????????So-net???

Vario Elmar 18-56mm f3.5-5.7
KonicaMinolta 18-56mm F3.5-4.5?????????????So-net???
Thank you for this contribution, I have learned something today.
  • I totally agree with you for the 60mm macro
  • I agree with some nuances for the 11-23mm (no example exactly matches the actual optical formula even though several are very close to it) and the 55-135mm (lens is f/3.5-4.5 whilst patent is about f/3.5-5.6 lenses -f/3.6-5.7 actually)
  • I can't confirm nor deny (I haven't found the optical formula but the numbers of elements and groups match) for the 18-56mm and the 23mm and
  • I am afraid I have to disagree for the 35mm f/1.4: the examples in the patent have 9 elements in 5, 6 or 7 groups whereas the Summilux uses a very different optical formula with 12 elements in 8 groups. The Summilux could be based on a design by Konica Minolta but the patent you are referring to is not the right one.
09-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #534
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Not a rumor,but we have to wait for a price power up about 5 - 10% next month - end of business year.
For K-1 approx. 80 - 100 $,lenses pro class same game.
That's from this week,we will see if this is the last word about prices.
Best regards
Being in the UK, I am fully expecting prices to increase because the value of the £ has crashed against other currencies in the wake of Brexit.

The K-1 is currently about £1,599 at the moment. So, are we looking at that rising to about £1,750 in the near future?
09-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Back to the topic, clearly Pentax decided the most important thing was to have focal lengths covered with zooms from the beginning and then fill in the prime spots that were missing. We have focal lengths from 15 to 450mm covered right now with zooms, with primes at 31mm, 43mm, 50mm, 55mm, 77mm, 100mm, 200mm, and 300mm (I may have missed a couple -- I'm doing this from memory).
Primes on the official FF lens line-up (February 2016):

31, 35, 43, 50 & 50-Macro, 77, 100-Macro, 200, 300, 560

(55 isn't on the official line-up).
09-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #536
Pentaxian

Primes on my unofficial list DA 35mm,DA 40mm,DA 50mm(its plastic and fantastic)
09-15-2016, 02:44 AM   #537
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Being in the UK, I am fully expecting prices to increase because the value of the £ has crashed against other currencies in the wake of Brexit.

The K-1 is currently about £1,599 at the moment. So, are we looking at that rising to about £1,750 in the near future?
Argh! Happened overnight. K-1 is now £1799 from most retailers!
09-15-2016, 03:21 AM   #538
Pentaxian

Still €1999 in Holland but some shops in Germany now use €2099. They are probably repricing. Better order soon when you were planning to get one..
09-15-2016, 03:53 AM   #539
Pentaxian

2082 euro în România. Well, I have mine...
09-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #540
Pentaxian

The Nikon D750 already went from 1950 to 2150 a while ago. So the increase is moderate. Bad news is the price won't drop soon. No new competitors on the market (5d MK IV is too expensive). Maybe if Nikon Introduces a D760 or D820 at photokina we will see some deals on the D750 and D810 forcing Ricoh to respond.