Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2016, 04:08 AM   #541
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
I feel like I don't see any good rumors on here anymore of upcoming gear from Pentax. So in light of the big announcements coming out of Canon today...I thought I'd throw out some predictions and questions to the group....

Predictions (ie my wish list)
FF Stripped down K-1 - $1100 - Remove the flippy screen, remove wifi, remove 4k video, and give me a less expensive FF camera. Kind of the Nikon D810 vs D610 roadmap. Making this mirrorless would leap frog them past Fuji too!

Super APS-C camera - $1,800 - now that Pentax is gaining the attention of serious professionals again (are they?), maybe a competitive sports camera that is smaller, lighter, cheaper and better weather sealed than other options on the market but with a huge buffer and frame rate would be interesting.

Mirrorless APS-C camera - $1,100 - Something along the lines of the Sony A6000 with better lenses and a viewfinder. Slap the bodycap 40mm XS on it and you have a Ricoh GR with flexibility and a viewfinder.

FF Lenses - I suspect Pentax will be releasing a slew of new FF lenses in the next year. Tons of primes especially. Maybe dusting off some legendary old glass with new nanocoatings and better, quieter AF motors. Some new lenses that are not as expensive as the FF options with revised SDM for APS-C would be nice too (ie a replacement for the awesome DA* 50-135 especially since you can't get the Sigma 50-150 anymore).

Questions:
Will Sigma ever return to making K mount lenses again?

Is the Pentax Q series dead? Upgrades coming? Something new in this lineup?

Will Pentax ever embrace the vintage history of the K1000 and retro styling that has made Fuji and Olympus popular?

What could Ricoh do to create a wow factor in the market to end run Canikon? I think the Theta is one example of finding these niches and capitalizing on future trends.

What do you want to see from Ricoh in the next year or two?
The starting posts is asking for three new cameras and several lenses.
A new high-end APS-C to kill K1
A mirrorless camera just to have one
A cheap K1 so he can afford one
... at current Pentax speed iw ould give it 10 years ...
Pentax needs to foucs on systems and not expand in all directions.

09-15-2016, 04:21 AM   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Still €1999 in Holland but some shops in Germany now use €2099. They are probably repricing. Better order soon when you were planning to get one..
Managed to get one from a UK retailer at the original price.

The £ falling against the Euro means that the original EU prices were already the same or higher than the original UK £ sterling price.
09-15-2016, 04:33 AM   #543
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Aussie distributor appears to have increased the price here by $100(75US).
09-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #544

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Argh! Happened overnight. K-1 is now £1799 from most retailers!
Just checked: found a couple still at 1600. Don't know if I can post links or names here...

09-15-2016, 05:16 AM   #545
Pentaxian

So, that first "rumor" is on time and was correct.
What's next ?
09-15-2016, 05:41 AM   #546
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The Aussie distributor appears to have increased the price here by $100(75US).
UK prices appear to be increasing by £200, which is about $350AUD, or $264USD!

---------- Post added 09-15-16 at 01:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Just checked: found a couple still at 1600. Don't know if I can post links or names here...
I'm OK now as I was able to get one at the original 1599, but there's always the price watch forum for this kind of information I guess.

It rather forced my hand as I wasn't intending to buy one quite now but TBH - as someone else said - the price certainly isn't going to be falling anytime soon. AND I was going to get one at SOME POINT.
09-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #547
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
So, that first "rumor" is on time and was correct.
What's next ?
The next rumor is that now almost all players increased prices for camera and lenses......sales will go down again (in general) wich we will see in a few months with CIPA presenting their figures. This is a circle down. Camera makers have to increase prices, because production gets more expensive due to lower production while sales go down due to increased prices.

09-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #548
Pentaxian

^^ it is because of exchange rates.
09-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #549
Pentaxian

Not only.
When you look at Canon's last issues, inflation is terrible.
E.g. EOS M-5 EVIL will cost around 1000€ by us, all plastic without sealing nor 4K, and low profile ergonomy for 30% more than K-70...

The best news in this kind of gear inflation trend, is that i-phone 7 too still costs more than last year's i-6....
The gap stays.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-15-2016 at 06:51 AM.
09-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #550
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4 days left
09-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #551
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Not only.
When you look at Canon's last issues, inflation is terrible.
E.g. EOS M-5 EVIL will cost around 1000€ by us, all plastic without sealing nor 4K, and low profile ergonomy for 30% more than K-70...

The best news in this kind of gear inflation trend, is that i-phone 7 too still costs more than last year's i-6....
The gap stays.
The point with this though is its price rising within a products life cycle, not between new versions.

I assume in this case the rise in general is due to the value of the Yen and the issue in the UK is exacerbated by the steep falls in the £
09-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
the issue in the UK is exacerbated by the steep falls in the £
Cant blame that on HOYA!
09-15-2016, 11:40 PM   #553
JPT
Pentaxian

By the way, the price of the K-1 in Japan is way higher than other countries anyway, and has been from the start. The changes in the exchange rate only make the differences more extreme.

The K-1 is (8% tax inclusive):
- ₯280,000 in the Ricoh store
- ₯250,000 street price, including discounts
- ₯230,000 is the cheapest I've ever seen it, from an online retailer I'd never heard of

So even after these increases in other countries, I think it's still cheaper after tax than it is over here. And it's still a bargain for what it is. Of course, I sympathize with anyone who was saving up, only to see the price rise.
09-16-2016, 03:10 AM   #554
Pentaxian

Strange. Japan has no import duties on dslr's and a relatively low sales tax. Is this in consistence with other brands?
09-16-2016, 05:32 AM   #555
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
By the way, the price of the K-1 in Japan is way higher than other countries anyway, and has been from the start. The changes in the exchange rate only make the differences more extreme.

The K-1 is (8% tax inclusive):
- ₯280,000 in the Ricoh store
- ₯250,000 street price, including discounts
- ₯230,000 is the cheapest I've ever seen it, from an online retailer I'd never heard of

So even after these increases in other countries, I think it's still cheaper after tax than it is over here. And it's still a bargain for what it is. Of course, I sympathize with anyone who was saving up, only to see the price rise.
The Japanese street is pretty close to the new UK street price. Although still a bit higher (about 60 quid).

I am not surprised by this, and it's not something that can really be complained about per se re: the K-1 due to its good value anyway. As you say, annoying though.

I remember Pentax did this a few years ago now with lenses. A big price adjustment took the DA* 16-50 up by about two or three hundred pounds IIRC. Smaller adjustments happen fairly regularly.