Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax in Russia

It is not easy being a pentaxian in Russia.

Here you can easily buy any camera you want. Photography is a very popular hobby. The Russian market offers a wide range of all possible cameras: from CaNikon to Leica. There are thousands of shops etc. However, you will hardly find there Pentax cameras. There are only three shops (official Pentax dealers), including the official Ricoh shop, that offer Pentax. In addition, there is only one service center! It is situated in Saint Petersburg. Therefore, in case I have some problems with my camera – I have to go to Saint Petersburg from Moscow. Madness.

Okay, let’s imagine that to use Pentax cameras I would be ready to go through with it, because Pentax is a cool brand and it offers a high quality for less price. Hmm surely not here. Ricoh uses a very strange pricing policy in Russia. Let´s compare.

On Amazon Nikon D7200 (body) costs $1046. In Russia, you can buy it for $1014 – 1093.
Canon 80D: $1199 and $1218 respectively.

On Amazon Pentax K-3II (the direct competitor of 7200 and 80D) costs $845. Looks good! In Russia, in the official Ricoh shop - $1281(!!!!!). $400 more. At the same time, the price difference of K-70 is not so big: in Russia, you will have to overpay only $120. Nevertheless, it is still a significant figure. To purchase K-1 you have to overpay $700! In this situation who would decide to buy Pentax for such a big sum of money when there is an opportunity to buy Nikon or Canon for the less price and have no problems with accessories? Taking all of the above into consideration about three shops and one service center. Nobody!

Ricoh, if you hear me please, pay a bit more attention to the Russian market! I really don't want to change Pentax for something different But you leave me no choice.

08-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it makes you feel better, there are no options to buy Pentax at stores in Florida as well.
My closest stores to see Pentax before buying are BH and Adorama.Yep, it's about 3 hours of flying.
08-25-2016, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took a train from Moscow to Leningrad as it was known at that time. Seemed to be a decent trip. But then again, I was a 22 year old Marine
08-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The lack of local Pentax stores and support infrastructure is a feature of many countries. I'm sure Ricoh are working on it globally.

Local 'official' Ricoh retail pricing is always over-stated on the official web site and store, in Australia and even in Japan for example. Ricoh/Pentax don't want to under-cut those local stores that decide to sell Pentax.

And exchange rates (plus import duties/taxes) can often cause huge and inexplicable price variations between countries, brands and products. We see that a lot in Australia.

Hang in there.

08-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

here in romania I had to wait ages to get a K1. seemed like they'd never have it in stock so I ended up getting a 2nd hand K3 from olx to upgrade from my k50, then the next week the k1 was in stock can't say I mind now mind you... turns out it was the only one they had tho and haven't had any more since.

with battery grip and spare battery the k1 cost me (with current exchange rates) 2535 usd.
08-26-2016, 02:05 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Keep in mind that US taxes do not include some tax.
But yes, the price difference is still significant. But if you compare US and EU you will see that in EU prices are also higher than in United States.
Also, Ricoh need time to change the situation with the service centers and distribution. It all about time and expedience. Two years ago there were only several stores selling Pentax brand cameras in here. Now we have two in my city (that is so unnoticeable, that some Germany do not know that it is part of Germany), one of them is official dealer.
So, be patient. Time will bring changes.
YR
08-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Local 'official' Ricoh retail pricing is always over-stated on the official web site and store, in Australia and even in Japan for example. Ricoh/Pentax don't want to under-cut those local stores that decide to sell Pentax.

But the problem is that 2 other shops offer the same price( So the main competitive advantage of Pentax is not an advantage here.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And exchange rates (plus import duties/taxes) can often cause huge and inexplicable price variations between countries, brands and products.
That could be the reason. But it doesn´t explain why for example for K-70 I have to overpay $120 and for K-1 - $700, considering that both cameras are new, produced in the same country and are transported in the same way.

08-26-2016, 05:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
here in romania I had to wait ages to get a K1. seemed like they'd never have it in stock so I ended up getting a 2nd hand K3 from olx to upgrade from my k50, then the next week the k1 was in stock can't say I mind now mind you... turns out it was the only one they had tho and haven't had any more since.

with battery grip and spare battery the k1 cost me (with current exchange rates) 2535 usd.
The same price we have here. I wanted to buy a K-3 II but it wasn´t available at that moment. They proposed me to make a prepayment. In the end I decided to wait for better times and bought panasonic g7 to use it as a second camera.

---------- Post added 08-26-16 at 05:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
So, be patient. Time will bring changes.
YR
All I can do)

---------- Post added 08-26-16 at 05:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
If it makes you feel better, there are no options to buy Pentax at stores in Florida as well.
My closest stores to see Pentax before buying are BH and Adorama.Yep, it's about 3 hours of flying.
Hah thanks, now I feel a bit better