Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 08:41 AM - 4 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
It is quite well circulated that lenses from film days are not always best option for digital.
It circulates but it is not true.

09-16-2016, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It circulates but it is not true.
Shhhhhh! Don't tell people until I have all the good stuff.
09-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm betting we see the Tamron 35mm 45mm, & 85mm F/1.8 SP lenses either as rebadged K-mounts or with the Tamron badge. I'm hoping for a 24mm F/2.
If Pentax continuous to rebadge Tamron lenses, it means they are no longer capable of creating high grade lens. All they do is rebadge and bump the price ridiculously. Tamron 15-30 costs ~950 euro if you shoot Nikon/Canon, but if you shoot Pentax it will cost you 1600-1700.

Except for 70-200 which lets presume is not a rebadged Tamron, when was the last time Pentax created a truly stellar lens?

P.S. sorry for negativity, just feeling little frustrated.

Last edited by Apapukas; 09-16-2016 at 10:32 AM.
09-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #34
Pentaxian

You're frustrated because there's no new stuff, and you already have all the old stuff? That's just odd. Maybe you should be investigating some of the lenses other companies have never matched. The 31 ltd, the 77 ltd., The 200 ƒ4 macro, the FA 250-600, the list goes on and on. Will Pentax bring out new lenses the same way Sony has to just to catch up with everyone else? Probably not. They don't have to. You have to remember, when Hoya ran the company the only reason they came out with new bodies was to sell the one asset Petnax had. A huge back log of already produced legacy glass blanks, which needed up dated bodies to keep it relevant. If you're not going to buy into that, both Canon and Nikon update their lens line-ups more frequency with lenses that don't have the same performance characteristics that Penta glass has. Not better or worse, just different.

To make a go of Pentax, you have to buy into what they already have to offer, which when you look at most companies, is considerable.

09-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're frustrated because there's no new stuff, and you already have all the old stuff? That's just odd. Maybe you should be investigating some of the lenses other companies have never matched. The 31 ltd, the 77 ltd., The 200 ƒ4 macro, the FA 250-600, the list goes on and on. Will Pentax bring out new lenses the same way Sony has to just to catch up with everyone else? Probably not. They don't have to. You have to remember, when Hoya ran the company the only reason they came out with new bodies was to sell the one asset Petnax had. A huge back log of already produced legacy glass blanks, which needed up dated bodies to keep it relevant. If you're not going to buy into that, both Canon and Nikon update their lens line-ups more frequency with lenses that don't have the same performance characteristics that Penta glass has. Not better or worse, just different.

To make a go of Pentax, you have to buy into what they already have to offer, which when you look at most companies, is considerable.
I understand, but all that high quality legacy glass isn't made anymore and therefore is extremely hard to find and is very pricey.

And even then there are holes. For example, fast prime in the range of 105-135mm.
09-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I understand, but all that high quality legacy glass isn't made anymore and therefore is extremely hard to find and is very pricey.

And even then there are holes. For example, fast prime in the range of 105-135mm.
The Pentax legacy glass is expensive, because it's good. Are you saying you actually believe you can get better deals on modern glass? I used to think the FA* or F* 250-600 was expensive, until I started researching what it would cost to match it with Nikon of Canon glass. First off, it's a unique product that can't be matched, and second, the similar quality Canon and Nikon glass new is a lot more. It's all a matter of perspective.

If you need something, ask folks what you should be looking for. They'll tell you. But don't get all frustrated pretending they don't exist.

I ran a test of 7 different ways to take a 35mm image. The image preferred by the largest number of people was a 40 year old Super takamur 35mm 3.5. Not even the really good version. More than 30% of the 70 or so poll respondents preferred it's image over highly regarded modern lenses like the DA 35 and Tamron 17-50. By only looking at modern lenses, you are seriously crippling yourself in your lens search. You could easily be on that 50% who actually prefer old glass.

Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2016 at 11:55 AM.
09-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #37
Inactive Account

The Pentax legacy glass is expensive, because it's good. Are you saying you actually believe you can get better deals on modern glass? I used to think the FA* or F* 250-600 was expensive, until I started researching what it would cost to match it with Nikon of Canon glass. First off, it's a unique product that can't be matched, and second, the similar quality Canon and Nikon glass new is a lot more. It's all a matter of perspective.

If you need something, ask folks what you should be looking for. They'll tell you. But don't get all frustrated pretending they don't exist.

I ran a test of 7 different ways to take a 35mm image. The image preferred by the largest number of people was a 40 year old Super takamur 35mm 3.5. Not even the really good version. More than 30% of the 70 or so poll respondents preferred it's image over highly regarded modern lenses like the DA 35 and Tamron 17-50. By only looking at modern lenses, you are seriously crippling yourself in your lens search. You could easily be on that 50% who actually prefer old glass.
Different people have different needs. I have no need for 250-600, just like other people might say that they are not interested in 15-30 f/2.8, 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2 etc.

09-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax continuous to rebadge Tamron lenses, it means they are no longer capable of creating high grade lens. All they do is rebadge and bump the price ridiculously. Tamron 15-30 costs ~950 euro if you shoot Nikon/Canon, but if you shoot Pentax it will cost you 1600-1700.

Except for 70-200 which lets presume is not a rebadged Tamron, when was the last time Pentax created a truly stellar lens?

P.S. sorry for negativity, just feeling little frustrated.
Hogwash.

Tamron needs to stop rebadging premium Pentax lenses and selling them at a cut rate in anybody's mount.
09-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hogwash.

Tamron needs to stop rebadging premium Pentax lenses and selling them at a cut rate in anybody's mount.

I wish Tamron sold rebadged premium Pentax lenses at a cut rate not only to Canon/Nikon/Sony but to Pentax users as well.

09-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax continuous to rebadge Tamron lenses, it means they are no longer capable of creating high grade lens.
Not necessarily. It just means that they are not capable of cranking out a bunch of new designs and manufacturing them in large enough numbers to meet the timeline demands of a full-frame product rollout. The last few in-house DA and DFA designs have been rated pretty highly.

Tamron considers the K-mount market to be too small to be worth producing premium lenses for. Would you buy their premium lenses in K-mount if they charged more to offset the cost of small-batch production? How much more? At what point is that different from paying more for a Pentax-badged version?
09-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Different people have different needs. I have no need for 250-600, just like other people might say that they are not interested in 15-30 f/2.8, 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2 etc.
Well then, it would be a mistake for you to buy Pentax, maybe consider searching else where. Personally I would never tell some one with such a shopping list to even consider Pentax. I mean what the hell did you do? Go through the Pentax lens lineup and pick every lens they don't make? Get it through your thick skull. Pentax makes light portable glass, for folks like me, not beg heavy glass for folks like you. You're looking at the wrong company. Not every company does, or should do everything. Get over it.

Personally I hope Pentax never invest in that kind of glass. Others already do it. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Or as my studio teacher said, "Find the lens you love and buy the camera it goes on." Don't waste our time here. You've already said 'Pentax doesn't make the lens I love." Get on with your life.

Just exactly what is it you hope to accomplish coming to a Pentax forum, whining "Pentax doesn't make the lenses I need."

Patient "Doctor I'm getting a headache going through the Pentax lens line up, because they don't make anything i like."
Doctor " Don't do that."

Duh

Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2016 at 02:22 PM.
09-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Not necessarily. It just means that they are not capable of cranking out a bunch of new designs and manufacturing them in large enough numbers to meet the timeline demands of a full-frame product rollout. The last few in-house DA and DFA designs have been rated pretty highly.

Tamron considers the K-mount market to be too small to be worth producing premium lenses for. Would you buy their premium lenses in K-mount if they charged more to offset the cost of small-batch production? How much more? At what point is that different from paying more for a Pentax-badged version?
All good points, but Pentax had years and years to work on lenses for the upcoming K1. Fuji is a small company too, but they came up with plenty of stellar lenses for their xpro's, Xt's etc in 2-3 years.

If I walked into a camera store tomorrow I could buy the tamron 15-30mm in Nikon/Canon mount for 922 euro or Pentax 15-30mm for 1600 (on sale, regularly it is 1700).

Who would be willing to pay ~74% more for a rebadged lens?

(I understand that prices vary in different markets).
09-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #43
Pentaxian

All good points, but Pentax had years and years to work on lenses for the upcoming K1. Fuji is a small company too, but they came up with plenty of stellar lenses for their xpro's, Xt's etc in 2-3 years.

If I walked into a camera store tomorrow I could buy the tamron 15-30mm in Nikon/Canon mount for 922 euro or Pentax 15-30mm for 1600 (on sale, regularly it is 1700).

(I understand that prices vary in different markets).
I guess you didn't read my post.

But in answer to your question, folks who value rugged construction, with weather and dust seals. Folks who appreciate owning a lens, that if you have to calibrate it, the camera remembers your settings. people who like the lens info to turn up in the EXIF data. People who might want to use the diffraction or lens correction options. There are so many good answers to this question that affect so many people....

Simple fact, using someone else's lens design or even glass components, does not mean the whole construction of the lens, electronics etc. are the same.

Listen dude, if you have to ask, it's because of your ignorance. I know you think the answer is obvious, it's your ignorance that's obvious.

Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2016 at 02:31 PM.
09-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Well then, it would be a mistake for you to buy Pentax, maybe consider searching else where. Personally I would never tell some one with such a shopping list to even consider Pentax. I mean what the hell did you do? Go through the Pentax lens lineup and pick every lens they don't make? Get it through your thick skull. Pentax makes light portable glass, for folks like me, not beg heavy glass for folks like you. You're looking at the wrong company. Not every company does, or should do everything. Get over it.

Personally I hope Pentax never invest in that kind of glass. Others already do it. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Or as my studio teacher said, "Find the lens you love and buy the camera it goes on." Don't waste our time here. You've already said 'Pentax doesn't make the lens I love." Get on with your life.

Just exactly what is it you hope to accomplish coming to a Pentax forum, whining "Pentax doesn't make the lenses I need."

Patient "Doctor I'm getting a headache going through the Pentax lens line up, because they don't make anything i like."
Doctor " Don't do that."

Duh
Pentax was my first camera and I am still shooting with it. That is how I make a living. i wouldn't be doing that if I didn't like it.

But I think it is pretty natural to seek higher quality glass as you grow as a photographer.

Pentax is already coming with big, heavy, fast zooms (rebadged or not), so fast primes should be coming too.

Not trying to accomplish anything or bother anyone with "whining", just sharing my opinion, discussing certain things about the brand.
09-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Not trying to accomplish anything or bother anyone with "whining", just sharing my opinion, discussing certain things about the brand.
People like to know what you can do using the brand. It inspires them. People don't care much about what you can't do. It has no relevance unless you intend to switch brands.
But now I'm really curious, in what field of photography do you depend on 1.4 glass? Especially since modern AF systems are calibrated for ƒ2.8 so almost all 1.8, even lenses like the Sigma 18-35 1.8 have problems obtaining reliable focus. There are some Pentax options, like DA*55 1.4, and a few Sigma lenses, their 85 1.4 as well as an FA* 1.4, the Sigma 30 1.4etc.. You've tried these lenses and found them wanting?

OK< be honest, if you owned all the glass you've requested in K mount, how many would you carry at once and how many would always be home on the shelf?

Or is "lenses Pentax doesn't currently make that I want but might not pay for" all you find interesting?

Your great list of 1.4 glass is not accompanied by any explanation of what you would use them for or why 1.8 glass won't do.

I have to admit, of the pros I know personally, I don't know a single guy like you. Many of them own gear have options in your wheel house, but none of them owns a gear list like you are requesting. Most have a1.4 lens or two in preferred Focal Lengths, none keep a whole stable of ƒ 1.4 lenses.

Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2016 at 02:58 PM.