Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do I need a landscape shooter?
Probably, I would suggest you look for photographers with experience in large format film and MF - as well as experience in alternate processes such as wet collodion & platinotype. Shame you aren't here in OZ,I'm busy with a colleague who does weddings and I'm helping him with restoring a 12X20 banquet camera from the early 19th century that is going to be used for a special wedding shoot. And as it turns out, I have period appropriate* and modern lenses that can handle that format.

I'm thinking two old men Nikon shooters in dark suits and ties kind of pros.
ah, those are a dying breed I'm afraid.

*cooke triplets, petzval lenses are faster, but have too much field curvature that turn the corners on that format into a blurry astigmatic mess.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-15-2016 at 07:58 PM.
10-15-2016, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #17

Fly me out to shoot her wedding!

Not kidding either
10-18-2016, 12:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think if she doesn't get a good feeling about the style of the photographer, she should find someone else. The best way is just to meet them, which can be an arduous process. Speaking from personal experience, a photographer's style can be a serious detriment to the atmosphere of the wedding if it clashes.
01-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the person that is getting married and her family could list exactly what specific shot types/arrangement are the basis of what they want, and present the list to a photographer that is capable of understanding it may not be similar to a shoot that is within his/her normal guidelines, then you may have someone that can do it. You may have acquaintances/friends that know of some good photographers that have shown ability to shoot landscape successfully that they could possibly refer you to. Then you could discuss with them what you want to see and if they can handle it for you, including the indoor shooting (most likely flash). You may prefer to make payment only after valid results are shown to you, and that they are what you needed. That may be something else you want to discuss with the photographers. I have shot an outdoor ceremony before, by a lake, and only after the client had seen and approved of the images, did I request/accept payment. Good luck with finding someone.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-15-2017 at 08:24 PM.
01-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The tricky part is always, finding someone that will do what you need, and who is local enough to shoot.
01-16-2017, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My daughter looked at 15 or so and interviewed three, but their portfolios didn't inspire confidence. She does not have a Wedding Consultant. She found two men in their late 50's who wear a suit and tie. They have a process, a studio for formal bridal gown shots on film and are businesslike. They deliver a product that she wants, and she has put photographs out of her mind.

They're primarily corporate and social 'event' photographers referred by the father of a friend. They're apparently working with the tent / table / catering people on sight lines and backgrounds and have toured the site. Day-of Formals will be interiors in the Victorian house, as suggested, etc.

My daughter said she knew in 5 minutes they understood what she wanted. Their business approach is, "There aren't many like us. Here's what we do. If that doesn't fit your need we'll refer you, but it has to be a good fit for us too - and we might tell you you aren't". She actually found that refreshing.

Plan B is Plan A under the tent. They don't do an Album per se but told her there's a standard set of prints that most people select individually so they start with those and print whatever else she wants. She said it was like someone was finally speaking her language.
01-16-2017, 06:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

That's pretty close to how I run my wedding business (when I can because I'm deployed so often). But yea, I always show up 2-3 hours prior to the requires show time to photograph the facility as you're right - it's always important to do that right (otherwise why use that venue for the wedding).

Glad to hear she was able to put that part of the process behind her

-Heie

01-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Glad you found somebody.

Our wedding photographer cropped our photos very liberally to non-standard aspect ratios, because it looked good to her and worked well for the type of artistic photo album she was making. Needless to say the parents did not understand it and were quite miffed when they ordered prints that did not look correct when framed. We had to go back and work with the photographer to try and rework some of them for framing. It took a couple meetings to get her to understand exactly what we were asking for. How hard can it be? "Crop to standard aspect..." sounded like an alien language to her.

Finally she got it and we got some prints for the parents, but the process was frustrating. By the end everybody including the photographer was irritated.

Now we know: don't expect frameable photos. Ask up front!

Sign of the times, I guess.
01-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Who hangs things on walls? (I think the qualifying hints were "studio" and "film"). Our church lineups were done w/ a 6x7 and we have the negs. IDK what he used in the studio but the prints are art.
01-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only do a wedding or two a year and generally that is the kind of client who seeks me. Someone who wants the setting to be as much of the images as the people. I'm primarily a landscape photographer but I also work with people fairly regularly which helps a ton. I can imagine someone who is exclusively a landscape photographer might not be prepared for the pace and pressure of a wedding.

I'm glad it sounds like you found a suitable option.
01-17-2017, 01:52 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I'm just along for the ride. Wrote a check and willing to do what I'm told when I'm told, but I'm hardly involved in planning or hiring at all.

My daughter's observation: Old film guys have the confidence to correctly expose every shot in one click, so they seem relaxed. The newer, younger digital hipsters are faster paced and higher energy, but that adds stress to an already over-emotional day. I gather it is going to be a set-piece wedding, but low-key, without so many moving parts to worry about. Two bridesmaids/groomsmen, no matching outfits, short but traditionally formal Episcopal Rite Two ceremony, no mixed drinks - seated dinner and DJ is the only big deal, and the location overlooking the Mississippi River (which makes the tog an important piece).

KISS keeps stress down.
01-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I'm just along for the ride. Wrote a check and willing to do what I'm told when I'm told, but I'm hardly involved in planning or hiring at all.

My daughter's observation: Old film guys have the confidence to correctly expose every shot in one click, so they seem relaxed. The newer, younger digital hipsters are faster paced and higher energy, but that adds stress to an already over-emotional day. I gather it is going to be a set-piece wedding, but low-key, without so many moving parts to worry about. Two bridesmaids/groomsmen, no matching outfits, short but traditionally formal Episcopal Rite Two ceremony, no mixed drinks - seated dinner and DJ is the only big deal, and the location overlooking the Mississippi River (which makes the tog an important piece).

KISS keeps stress down.
Smart approach for both you and her. Enjoy the day and relax as best you can. Sounds like a great time will be had by all.
01-17-2017, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Hire someone old who had to learn in the film days?

A huge amount of the pros are the self taught* types who saw something cool on the Internet and mimicked the results.

* - can't talk, am largely self-taught as well, but did have a course in my high school days when digital was non-existent.

EDIT: Well that teaches ME not to finish reading the thread!
01-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sounds like the kind of work I hope to specialize in if/when I get my time off work more situated and get a website together. Glad she found someone.

side note, as someone who learned photography before the digital era (barely), I can't stand how many images are shot without regard to standard image ratios.
02-06-2017, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Find the shooters who have been around since the film days, they always seem to have a more traditional, timeless style. I really enjoy that style personally!

Around here we get a lot of the high-key style wedding shooters and not enough of the traditional, warm toned shooters.

The problem is... those warmer, traditional, non-princessy shooters charge...and charge a lot! $4000+ is the average around here for that style. I'm not sure what the budget is on a photographer, but Id suggest looking at the upper echelon to see what they offer and if they fit her wants/needs.

The entry level price point shoot and burners are all the same... very similar styles, very similar packages.... you could probably hire 5 of them and get exactly the same results....

edit, didn't read the threat. I see you hired exactly what I recommended!