Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Fuji X-T2 purple veil/grid problem - will Fuji recall all the faulty units?

What the heck, Fuji?!?

Purple veil image quality issue AND grid image quality issue?

Are you the Nikon type silencing the D600 issue?

So the X-T2s and Xpro2s have a screwed up camera and sensor design where you can not be safe when shooting against bright light that the canera ruins your photo.

QuoteQuote:
When shooting in a backlit situation you can encounter a purple veiling flare. This type of flare is not uncommon and I’ve seen it from other mirrorless systems, Micro Four Thirds being the most relevant example. However in the case of the X-Pro2 a grid artefact is also visible in the image. Depending on how strong the purple flare is, the visibility of the grid can increase or decrease.
I bet there will be some apologists for all this, but when will Fuji acknowldge their poor design and recall the faulty units?

On the Fuji X-T2 XPro 2 problem:
Problem solving: How to deal with the Fujifilm X-Pro2 and X-T2 ?grid? artefacts - MirrorLessons - The Best Mirrorless Camera Reviews

More on this uji X-T2 XPro 2 issue:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4080328

Fuji sensor problem in X-T2 XPro 2:
Fujifilmstuff: Purple flares and grid pattern on xtrans: Why its there and how to remove it

Sensor problems again ini X-T2 XPro 2:
diglloyd Mirrorless - Fujifilm X-Pro2 - Image Quality: Grid Artifacts (diglloyd.com excerpt)

When will they recall the faulty cameras or will they ignore it?

The one article states, that these image defects are common on mFT. Really?

12-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #2

One more needle flying toward my "Maybe I will try Fuji camera someday" bubble.
12-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This looks like a nasty interaction between the lens coatings Fuji uses (which create magenta flares) and quirks in the RAW development of x-trans sensor data for dim image areas that lack green (i.e., magenta).
12-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have only read the post not the linked articles. I have owned a few mirrorless cameras (Panasonic LX-7 & GX-1 now, GX-7 and Samsung NX300 in the past) and none of this rings bells. I do know that shooting some legacy glass can induce sensor reflections off the rear element which can show as a blue spot or purple spot. But that's the only thing that sounds like this that I know of.

EDIT: now that I have read several linked articles I can say I haven't examined flared pictures this closely. I tend to assume that a photo with the flare performance seen in the first article should be used in a way that doesn't flare. In other words I assume a lens deficiency when I see this and compose the shot differently never really digging into the results farther. So I need to look for examples of flare in my shots from those cameras before I can comment about this on my mirrorless cameras. I will say that my impression is that I have seen more traditional flare not this purple veil.

---------- Post added 12-08-16 at 11:13 AM ----------

I found this from my GX-1 with the Sigma 30mm ART f2.8 lens. No pattern visible but it looks like similar purple veiling flare:

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-08-2016 at 12:44 PM.