Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #16

Step #1 is to capture evidence of the violation. I hope you saved screen grabs of your image being misused.

Next decision is whether you want any type of future business relationship with the party that misappropriated the image. If you do, take the opportunity to reach out (as you sort of did) and offer them the opportunity to properly license your image for a fee.

If they refuse option #1, or you have no interest in potential future work from the violator, go on full offense. Have a legal rep send a cease and desist letter to all parties involved.

12-12-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikerigel Quote
Yes, I'm well aware about the potential cost of going after her... the funny thing is it's not particularly a great photo, and I don't even care about getting money out of her.. it's just by principle, like you said, to let her know it's wrong for her to do this..
Thanks for your input.
Issue a DMCA takedown notice to her ISP.
12-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Get in touch with the people who paid her for the review and tell them what she did.
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
This is a really good idea. They don't have any legal responsibility in the matter but they may well worry someone else is writing the content. From their perspective, content is content but if people start slapping "FALSE REVIEW" on them, they're in big trouble with the public, so they need to make everything look as clean as possible.
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but wanted to add something else

I'm in agreement with @pathdoc and @MadMathMind about approaching the blog host. By the description in the first post she also violated 17 U.S. Code § 1202 - Integrity of copyright management information. Adding false copyright information is also illegal. The blog host should be much more compliant about removing the offending images. It's one thing to use an image you don't have rights to. it's another to falsely apply your own copyright info to work that is not yours.

@mikerigel did you add copyright info to the exif info? Maybe she wasn't smart enough to remove it. that would be a nice smoking gun. If you did add your copyright info and she removed it, that's a second violation of the code I linked above.

As always consult a real lawyer. These are just things to consider. Good luck.

Last edited by serothis; 12-22-2016 at 04:25 PM.
12-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #19

I am not sure that MadMathMind's statement regarding the purchaser of the stolen content is accurate.

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
They don't have any legal responsibility in the matter
At the very least their ownership or right to use said stolen content would be void. That I am sure of. Legal consultation would be needed to see if further damages could be collected from them. Just the threat of going after the "deep pockets" of the business that may have inadvertently purchased the stolen IP could be enough to push them to in turn go after the real perpetrator. That is what I call leverage.

I'd suggest reading through the DOJ guidelines too. https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ccips/file/891011/download

12-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Get in touch with the people who paid her for the review and tell them what she did.
Excellent suggestion.

In the upside down world of the Internet, she needs "legit" references to keep her online name in view and get eyeballs. Actually getting paid for content, however little a sum it might be, is the best reference going, if she has to start manufacturing interest in what she has to say, she will get the online fate she deserves, which is oblivion. Very few people "unfollow" so the monetary value of having 8000 followers instead of say 6000, is pretty minor, especially if 7000 of them are digitally dead.
12-27-2016, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So quick update, I have been in contact with pixsy.com and after doing a preliminary review of my case with all the proofs, they feel it's strong enough and decided to send it to one of their law firm for further review and action.
Still no guarantee right now and it usually takes 3 to 6 months to resolve a case so we'll see.
It probably wont be much money on this case, but at least, I hope that having a law firm contact the blog owner should scare her enough to start paying for her photos from now on!

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but wanted to add something else

I'm in agreement with @pathdoc and @MadMathMind about approaching the blog host. By the description in the first post she also violated 17 U.S. Code § 1202 - Integrity of copyright management information. Adding false copyright information is also illegal. The blog host should be much more compliant about removing the offending images. It's one thing to use an image you don't have rights to. it's another to falsely apply your own copyright info to work that is not yours.

@mikerigel did you add copyright info to the exif info? Maybe she wasn't smart enough to remove it. that would be a nice smoking gun. If you did add your copyright info and she removed it, that's a second violation of the code I linked above.

As always consult a real lawyer. These are just things to consider. Good luck.
No I didn't have any copyright in the exif on this shot.
12-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikerigel Quote
What to do when your photograph got stolen ?
Send an invoice, for a large sum.

12-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #23

Excellent news. I totally agree, even if you are not able to extract damages, just making them deal with the legal system will cost them time. And time is money.
01-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Send her an invoice. There may be cases where someone uses an image non-commercially and literally didn't know they were doing something wrong (loads of people just think they can use anything they find online nowadays), in that case you may or may not prefer to just kindly let them know that what they are doing is not okay.

But this person a) made money off your image, and b) didn't even apologise, but simply blocked you. She's clearly completely immature, and deserves to be invoiced and threatened with legal action!