Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
On the latest roadmap for D FA lenses, there's still 5 lenses left that haven't been released yet.
* Wide single focal length (perhaps D FA 28 f/2.8? or D FA 24 f/2.8?)
* Standard large aperture single focal length (D FA 50 f/1.4?)
* Medium telephoto large aperture single focal length (D FA 200 f/2.8? D FA 135 f/2.8?)
* Ultra wide large aperture single focal length (D FA 20 f/2.8?)
* Fish Eye zoom lens

Those are labeled 2017+, and will be released in the above order. So I Think we can expect the wide, standard and medium telephoto next year and the ultra wide and Fish Eye in 2018. (...)
From a Ricoh Imaging Europe executive and FWIW: one to two of the five D FA lenses on the roadmap should be launched in 2017.

12-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Why only "one to two"?
12-31-2016, 04:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

The above is the piece of information he got from contacts at Ricoh Imaging Japan, that's all: one or two of the lenses on the roadmap should be launched in 2017. Thus implying the remaining three lenses should be announced in 2018 or later.
12-31-2016, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why only "one to two"?
Because Ricoh still has not formed an identity yet. Two separate people who know way more than me have made the comment that Ricoh has not decided if the new primes will be the typical fast primes to compete with Canon/Nikon/Sony or with they be lenses inspired by the Limited line with slower apertures and smaller form factors. It appears that Ricoh had originally planned on releasing the typical F/1.4 primes to match Canon/Nikon/Sony, but the user feedback has been heavily in favor of the Limited lenses. This is why we didn't see mock-up lenses at Photokina. At that time they still had not decided which direction they were going.

12-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

The above is the piece of information he got from contacts at Ricoh Imaging Japan, that's all: one or two of the lenses on the roadmap should be launched in 2017. Thus implying the remaining three lenses should be announced in 2018 or later.
What is unclear about it? I'm curious about the circumstances leading to having only one or two of these lenses which IMO is a very low number (especially if it's one). IMO Pentax should've been able to launch maybe not all, but at least 3-4 of them. Unless something happened.

Winder is saying something interesting - thanks! - a priority change which, if true, is bound to delay things.
01-07-2017, 03:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Because Ricoh still has not formed an identity yet. Two separate people who know way more than me have made the comment that Ricoh has not decided if the new primes will be the typical fast primes to compete with Canon/Nikon/Sony or with they be lenses inspired by the Limited line with slower apertures and smaller form factors. It appears that Ricoh had originally planned on releasing the typical F/1.4 primes to match Canon/Nikon/Sony, but the user feedback has been heavily in favor of the Limited lenses. This is why we didn't see mock-up lenses at Photokina. At that time they still had not decided which direction they were going.
Yep, interestingly Pentax appears to listen to the remaining/current customer base. A 1.4/85 with almost 90mm filter diameter is not Pentax style and competing with the big ones is killing you niche. For me a shoprt telephoto lens is between 77 and 135. A well done f/2 or f/1.8 would be perfect in size - happy to pay the lmited price for it! The f/1.4 spots are taken by Sigma art these days. Nikon is fighting back with a new focal length of 105 mm and Canon will probably be first with a new high-end 135 mm lens. Some news would help.

Let me add that a commitment to FF in the K1 requires more than 2 Tamron lenses and two zooms. The primes should be part of the plan. You cannot intorduce a FF system - not even a primer - in 12 months.

Last edited by zapp; 01-07-2017 at 04:24 AM.
01-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Yep, interestingly Pentax appears to listen to the remaining/current customer base. A 1.4/85 with almost 90mm filter diameter is not Pentax style and competing with the big ones is killing you niche. For me a shoprt telephoto lens is between 77 and 135. A well done f/2 or f/1.8 would be perfect in size - happy to pay the lmited price for it! The f/1.4 spots are taken by Sigma art these days. Nikon is fighting back with a new focal length of 105 mm and Canon will probably be first with a new high-end 135 mm lens. Some news would help.

Let me add that a commitment to FF in the K1 requires more than 2 Tamron lenses and two zooms. The primes should be part of the plan. You cannot intorduce a FF system - not even a primer - in 12 months.
Pentax has a great history of both Limited lenses and fast primes. The A 50mm F/1.2, FA* 85mm F/1.4, and the A* 135mm F/1.8 are all excellent lenses. I would love to see Ricoh release some Limited lenses with fast AF. I think there is a good chance that we see the Tamron 35mm, 45mm, & 85mm in K-mount either as a rebadged lens or under the Tamron name. Those are three very good lenses that would be welcome additions to the line up.

Nikon has had a 105mm lens for a long time. There is the F/1.8 and the F/2.8 105mm Nikon. Canons won't be the first with a new high end 135mm. The CZ 135mm F/1.8 has been out for several years and is an excellent lens.

01-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is interesting, thanks. I certainly agree that the smaller lenses of Pentax are attractive and Pentax's USP. I considered the Sigma Quattro, but look at the sizes of the Art lenses.
For larger sizes, there is in more than one way the 645 line.
01-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

There are two different reasons to make an f/1.4 lens - to provide thin DOF, and for use under poor lighting conditions. The K-70 may indicate that higher ISO is Pentax's solution to poor lighting, which reduces desirability of {large} wide-aperture lenses
01-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There are two different reasons to make an f/1.4 lens - to provide thin DOF, and for use under poor lighting conditions. The K-70 may indicate that higher ISO is Pentax's solution to poor lighting, which reduces desirability of {large} wide-aperture lenses
I think Ricoh should produce new Limited lenses first. Ricoh needs some lenses with fast AF and some F/2 glass that is sharp wide open would be perfect. My Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 is one of my favorite lenses and the only reason I'm still shooting with the A7II.
01-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sux when you query your customers (the extensive Pentax France questionnaire) and the response isn't what you had planned it should be.
01-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #27

Pentax has a great history of both Limited lenses and fast primes. The A 50mm F/1.2, FA* 85mm F/1.4, and the A* 135mm F/1.8 are all excellent lenses. I would love to see Ricoh release some Limited lenses with fast AF. I think there is a good chance that we see the Tamron 35mm, 45mm, & 85mm in K-mount either as a rebadged lens or under the Tamron name. Those are three very good lenses that would be welcome additions to the line up.

Nikon has had a 105mm lens for a long time. There is the F/1.8 and the F/2.8 105mm Nikon. Canons won't be the first with a new high end 135mm. The CZ 135mm F/1.8 has been out for several years and is an excellent lens.
Exactly, it might be easier to get those rebadged Tamron f1.8 lenses to out first to fill the lens gaps and indeed it will be a welcome addition. Then release fast DFA* primes and update the FA limited lenses.

I would love to see the revival of A*135mm f1.8 to be updated and becomes DFA* 135mm f1.8, the Sony Zeiss 135mm f1.8 is indeed excellent and one of the reason that makes the Sony Alpha A mount system unique, Pentax should do the same with their 135mm lens by making it f1.8 not f2 like the rest of the 135mm lenses.

And yes updating the FA* 85mm f1.4 is essential, also there is a need of a 35mm f1.4 prime in the system too.
01-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Seems to be plenty of rumours here after all.
01-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I say again, updating the FA Limiteds would be insane. Make new lenses:

D FA 28/2.8 DC WR
D FA 35/2 DC WR (end the FA35/2)
D FA 50/1.4 DC WR (end the FA50/1.4)
D FA* 85/1.4 DC AW
D FA* 135/1.8 DC AW

Let the Limiteds be what they are.

Pentax KP?