Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Another new CEO at Hasselblad...

Perry Oosting is stepping down as CEO at the end of the month, and Paul Bram is taking the helm as interim CEO:

Hasselblad announces change of management structure - Press Releases - Hasselblad

And, according to an e-mail I received, the X1D is now shipping in quantity...

01-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And, according to an e-mail I received, the X1D is now shipping in quantity...
Bravo to Hassleblad. They deserve an Oscar for this performance!!

For years, they tried to shove their $40-50k solution down people's throat until Pentax comes up with the 645Z for 1/4 of the cost. Then they come up with this "revolutionary" X1D solution to finally sell a few systems. Then they drag their feet long enough for Fuji to introduce a similar solution for less money, brilliant absolutely brilliant. No wonder the guy was kicked out.
01-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can only trade on a name for so long. After that, you have to have something to offer.

If I had infinite resources and were going MF tomorrow I'd get Pentax, because the cameras are known products with extensive field time, and the lens ecosystem is well established and very, very rich in legacy glass.
01-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Bravo to Hassleblad. They deserve an Oscar for this performance!!

For years, they tried to shove their $40-50k solution down people's throat until Pentax comes up with the 645Z for 1/4 of the cost. Then they come up with this "revolutionary" X1D solution to finally sell a few systems. Then they drag their feet long enough for Fuji to introduce a similar solution for less money, brilliant absolutely brilliant. No wonder the guy was kicked out.
You're not a fan of the Big H, then?

I don't think Oosting was pushed, actually. If the press release is to be believed (and these things are always best taken with a pinch of salt, admittedly), his tenure as CEO has been pretty successful compared to the last fella, what with the X1D and the DJI deal. Bram is only taking over as interim CEO while another is found, and they're allegedly continuing with their current product strategy.

I've only tried the X1D briefly on two occasions, but I liked it. It's out of my price range as a complete system... I'd have to sell all of my gear to afford the X1D and a couple of native lenses. But, if money wasn't an issue, I'd be very happy to have one. I think it's the best move the company has made in a long time.

01-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You're not a fan of the Big H, then?
As a matter of fact I am a big fan. Who does not like a Porche or a Lambo or a Ferrari. I owned a Hassy 500C/M and a couple of lenses since 1983. I put it on eBay many times and decided to pull the ad. I could not bring myself to let it go. How could one let a masterpiece like that go. Finally I got tired of looking at it and sold the set last year.

X1D is out of my price range. But given the options, I would look at 645Z and the Fuji way before Hassy. They are not the Hassy of yesteryear. Did you know Fuji makes all their glass for them? Sony makes the sensor. So what part of the system is Hassy anymore, just the name?

As far as the CEO being let go, at that level they always step down, never fired. It looks better on the resume.
01-27-2017, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #6

I just got my first Hasselblad. It's a $299 attachment to my mobile phone, offering a 10x zoom add on over the phone's internal digital only zoom.

The specs of 4.5-6.5 4.5-45mm makes me think.. well. It's better optical quality than the phones own lens. And actually I like how it balances the otherwise too slim phone.
01-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you know Fuji makes all their glass for them? Sony makes the sensor. So what part of the system is Hassy anymore, just the name?
I certainly didn't know about Fuji making the glass... Did Fuji design them too, or are they Hasselblad's own designs?

I knew about the sensor being Sony-manufactured. Honestly, I don't have a problem with them using parts made by other manufacturers... it happens in other industries too - consumer electronics, automotive etc. I believe the X1D as a complete design is Hasselblad's own. But I do take your point - they're not what they used to be, for sure.

I like the 645Z a lot (I liked the 645D before it, too), but prefer the form factor of the X1D - though, frankly, they're different cameras with different target buyers, IMHO. The Fuji will be very interesting, and it's quite possible I might prefer that to the X1D when I get to try one. Of course, it's all academic as I won't be buying any of the three unless I win the lottery!

01-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The incoming CEO will need to have a vision that will fit in with the new owners, DJI (the Chinese drone maker).

01-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The incoming CEO will need to have a vision that will fit in with the new owners, DJI (the Chinese drone maker).
Indeed. I wonder if Perry Oosting's reason for departure might be disagreement (or poor fit) with DJI...
01-27-2017, 03:19 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... a new CEO and the "three envelopes".

QuoteQuote:
A fellow had just been hired as the new CEO of a large high tech corporation. The CEO who was stepping down met with him privately and presented him with three numbered envelopes. "Open these if you run up against a problem you don't think you can solve," he said.

Well, things went along pretty smoothly, but six months later, sales took a downturn and he was really catching a lot of heat. About at his wit's end, he remembered the envelopes. He went to his drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, "Blame your predecessor."

The new CEO called a press conference and tactfully laid the blame at the feet of the previous CEO. Satisfied with his comments, the press -- and Wall Street - responded positively, sales began to pick up and the problem was soon behind him.

About a year later, the company was again experiencing a slight dip in sales, combined with serious product problems. Having learned from his previous experience, the CEO quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, "Reorganize." This he did, and the company quickly rebounded.

After several consecutive profitable quarters, the company once again fell on difficult times. The CEO went to his office, closed the door and opened the third envelope.

The message said, "Prepare three envelopes."

01-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you know Fuji makes all their glass for them?
Fuji did make lenses for hasselblad, which was part of a working relationship that lasted over 30 years. Hasselblad are currently selling remaining stock at the moment. I have heard from my contacts over the past several years that there has been a considerable cooling of the hassy/fuji working relationship.

Perhaps the new CEO will make amends, or squeeze the detonators on the bridge.
01-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I certainly didn't know about Fuji making the glass... Did Fuji design them too, or are they Hasselblad's own designs?

I knew about the sensor being Sony-manufactured. Honestly, I don't have a problem with them using parts made by other manufacturers... it happens in other industries too - consumer electronics, automotive etc. I believe the X1D as a complete design is Hasselblad's own. But I do take your point - they're not what they used to be, for sure.

I like the 645Z a lot (I liked the 645D before it, too), but prefer the form factor of the X1D - though, frankly, they're different cameras with different target buyers, IMHO. The Fuji will be very interesting, and it's quite possible I might prefer that to the X1D when I get to try one. Of course, it's all academic as I won't be buying any of the three unless I win the lottery!
It is a known fact for quite a few years that Fuji is making Hassy glass. I am not sure how many but I would guess quite a few, if not all of their lenses.

It is a shame that the mighty Hassleblad is relegated to the position that it is in. It hurts me to see them struggle but that is the way of the world. They did not adapt and they are paying the price.

As far as the 645Z vs. X1D vs. Fuji, if I had to buy today, I would go for the Fuji. It has a compact form factor and it is the cheapest of the bunch in cost. Fuji is really gunning for 645Z and I hope Pentax has something to be released very soon. Otherwise, Fuji is going to eat both Hassy's and Pentax's lunch.

Fuji is making their own lenses. I know them from my broadcast career days. As far as I know, there are really two serious lens makers when it comes to broadcast cameras, Fuji and Canon. We are talking about $20k, 30K and up in prices. So they know how to make superior glass. They got the body and ergonomics thing down. They are borrowing Sony's sensor for now but they are capable of making their own. I am praying that Pentax has an answer as I would like to stay with the Pentax family. Heck, I would be thrilled with the 645Z any day. For now I will "suffer" with my K1!!

---------- Post added 01-27-17 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Fuji did make lenses for hasselblad, which was part of a working relationship that lasted over 30 years. Hasselblad are currently selling remaining stock at the moment. I have heard from my contacts over the past several years that there has been a considerable cooling of the hassy/fuji working relationship.

Perhaps the new CEO will make amends, or squeeze the detonators on the bridge.
Back in the film days, when Hassy was the undisputed king, their glass was made by Zeiss. So they really never made any lenses as far as I know.

We drooled over owning or even holding a Hassy in our hands. I am not sure the new generation of photographers, the 20 and 30 somethings even know who Hassy is. The same way I get the surprise look when I mention Pentax to the same group. Not too many people know about these two brands whom we can safely say were pioneers in the field of photography.
01-27-2017, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
. I have heard from my contacts over the past several years that there has been a considerable cooling of the hassy/fuji working relationship.

Rumours of going from being a supplier to a competitor would do that.

Last edited by clackers; 01-28-2017 at 02:42 AM.
02-02-2017, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Lenses for the Hasselblad V system were mostly designed and manufactured by Carl Zeiss AG and sold under the Carl Zeiss brand name. The lenses for the earliest Hasselblads (pre-1957) were made by Eastman Kodak in the USA. There were also some third-party oddities such as the Cook & Perkins Dallmeyer 508mm f/5.6 and the Schneider Variogon 140-280mm f/5.6.

Lenses for the Hasselblad H system were designed and are manufactured by Fuji on the basis of specifications prepared by Hasselblad; they are sold under the Hasselblad brand name.

Lenses for the Hasselblad X system are designed by ? on the basis of specifications prepared by Hasselblad. They are manufactured by Nittoh Kogaku K.K. in Suwa, Japan and sold under the Hasselblad brand name.

Per Nordlund is the guy at Hasselblad who was in charge of developing the specifications of the HC and HCD lenses and doing the preliminary design for some of them. Detailed design was done by Fuji. I presume Nordlund is also responsible for working out the specifications of the XCD lenses.