Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There is something new in this old technology. Check D5 and D500's AF system. It's extensive way in some aspects, but very effective. Ricoh has no even something close.
Ricoh suggests you buy yourself a D5, it's the best. Please go ahead.

01-29-2017, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Ricoh has no even something close.
It has much that is close. Note that one key to Nikon's effective AF is the close integration of the metering sensor and the AF, which delivers some of the nice features of Nikon AF like good tracking and even face detection under PDAF (in some cameras). That integration is already there in K-3 onwards. Throw in a few dozen AF points and further algorithm improvements and you have D500/D5.
01-29-2017, 05:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting more than a dozen AF points seems iterative to me....
01-29-2017, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

There is something new in this old technology.
Check D5 and D500's AF system. It's extensive way in some aspects, but very effective.
Setting new standards: Nikon D5 Review: Digital Photography Review

Ricoh has no even something close.
Would you pay 2000 euro for an APS-C flagship, or 6500 euro for a FF flagship, then?
Non-buyers have no right to complain.

Pentax was almost destroyed after a hostile takeover. With their current status and user base and no real (expensive) flagship, they had to limit the effort put in their cameras. So their first AF system with advanced tracking function isn't on the same level as Nikon's best.

01-29-2017, 05:13 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

@ogl Stop being a FUD merchant, or you will end up being boriscletoed (ignored) by a majority of users and wind up shouting into empty space.

It's all in the algorithms, and while I'm sure every camera manufacturer has examples of every other manufacturer's cameras and has hacked them all six ways from Sunday, nobody wants to happen to them what happened to Minolta for stealing from Honeywell.
01-29-2017, 05:16 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FUD Merchant much?
01-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Recent trip to Beijing with K-1, DFA 28-105, DFA 15-30: 677 shots taken, missed focus <4. No complaints.

01-29-2017, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's all in the algorithms
And guess what was improved in the KP?
01-29-2017, 05:32 AM   #24
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I don't see the problem to go even in extensive way -
To add AF sensors to SAFOX to cover more surface of frame, add double-cross sensors with higher sensitivity and write new software.

If Ricoh just puts SAFOX 12 into K-3II's upgrade and nothing else - it's really not right direction.

33 AF Points in K-1 - is it really good? Is it enough for good AF-C? No.

01-29-2017, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

The problem is everything is patented. Probably even de lay out of pdaf points on the pdaf sensor, so if you are not the one with the patent, you have to use a less than optimal solution.
01-29-2017, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I don't see the problem to go even in extensive way -
To add AF sensors to SAFOX to cover more surface of frame, add double-cross sensors with higher sensitivity and write new software.
Oh, it's just that? Poor engineers, they must think it's something complicated, taking a lot of effort... Nikon too, it took them 9 years since the introduction of their first 51 AF-point version to its replacement in the D5. But all they had to do was to add AF sensors and write new software!

P.S. Non-buyers have no right to complain.
01-29-2017, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread Ignored. User boriscletoed.
01-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #28
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
@ogl Stop being a FUD merchant, or you will end up being boriscletoed (ignored) by a majority of users and wind up shouting into empty space.
Do you want to prohibit me to realize my right of freedom of speech? I don't offend your favourite toys. Be adult, not a kid.

I'm old user of Pentax and I don't find SAFOX as advanced and really good AF system.
If to use onlу one central AF point in good light SAFOX is not worse than others. But it's not enough.
I'd like use LV, but I don't find contrast AF in Pentax cameras very comfortable of use.

The time goes and Pentax (Ricoh today) is still behind other companies. It's fact.

---------- Post added 01-29-2017 at 06:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thread Ignored. User boriscletoed.
The intolerance and illiberality are the indications of totalitarian society and mentality.

---------- Post added 01-29-2017 at 06:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Oh, it's just that? Poor engineers, they must think it's something complicated, taking a lot of effort... Nikon too, it took them 9 years since the introduction of their first 51 AF-point version to its replacement in the D5.
We don't discuss Nikon, and, by the way, Ricoh has 51 AF-points system like Nikon?

---------- Post added 01-29-2017 at 06:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Recent trip to Beijing with K-1, DFA 28-105, DFA 15-30: 677 shots taken, missed focus <4. No complaints.
It's not about your or my own experience. My K-5IIs can reach 50% missing focus shots in lower light (depends on lenses).
01-29-2017, 06:23 AM - 4 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Freedom of speech means the government can't arrest you for expressing your opinions (though in Russia, that might be debatable). It doesn't mean we have to agree with any BS, nor that we should be forced to listen to it.
01-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #30
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Freedom of speech means the government can't arrest you for expressing your opinions (though in Russia, that might be debatable). It doesn't mean we have to agree with any BS, nor that we should be forced to listen to it.
You always drown discussion with attacks to opponent. Looks silly. If you are Pentax fanatic, it's not my problem.

If you have any good info in the context of the discussion, please, tell us.

---------- Post added 01-29-2017 at 06:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh suggests you buy yourself a D5, it's the best. Please go ahead.
I'm not too rich man to sell all my lenses and buy another system. Especially, I don't want to sell my lenses.