Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #91
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, if it ran up my leg, it would have to bath for a week on end to get itself clean!
I once got in to bed, pulled the blankets over me, then felt something tickling my leg... lifted the blankets hastily to see a GIANT cockroach crawling up my leg and at great speed.

I mushed it with the TV remote (got that sucker) then replaced the sheets (as the bug left its gooey guts on my bed). haha.

Wasn't right for months and months... sometimes feeling a phantom twinge on my leg.. always checking and sometimes double checking the sheets before I got into bed.

02-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I once got in to bed, pulled the blankets over me, then felt something tickling my leg... lifted the blankets hastily to see a GIANT cockroach crawling up my leg and at great speed.
I'm not sure what's worse: A spider or a cockroach. I once stayed at a hotel in St Petersburg, Florida that was so thoroughly infested with cockroaches that it felt as if the human guests were severely outnumbered! Liberal spraying of insecticide under the door, around the windows and into all vents etc solved the problem in my room but the rest of the place was still roach city!
02-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You'd have to change your lenses.

Some people got a D500, they have more keepers, since they were not selling their photos, I would say , they have more keepers, hummm more keepers on the SD cards, more SD cards at home, more stuff that no one care about. With a K3, you have up to 8.3 FPS , you can shoot sport games the whole afternoon non stop until the K3+grip is hot, and go home with 2000 shots, even with 50% keepers, that's 1000 photos to play with... hope you have a lot of free time to do this. With a D500, it's worse, you buy expensive SD cards (because the normal SD card aren't fast enough) you can shoot at 10 FPS the whole afternoon and come back home with 3000 photos and 70% keepers. You have to realize that AF keepers does not mean a keeper because some photos aren't frames correctly etc, other photos you missed the subject and the camera did not guess the subject for you... so , even if you have a D5, you won't get 100% and you'll have to go through each image to sort them out.

If you get a K3 and use it like I say... then you'll realize you have already more good photos than you can use, you'll not want a D500 anymore.
For some people that want better AF it has nothing to do with how many photographs they hope to capture in a single burst, they are after better AF so that they can count on the camera to track and capture the subject at peak moments. Having a camera that allows you to concentrate on following a target and clicking on the shutter button at the time you want to capture the subject then having that image in focus is what they are after. This includes having quicker reaction for times when times you are not allotted the opportunity to pre focus or when a target quickly enters the FOV. I don’t want to spray and pray that something happens to fall in focus.

Also add that people want better AF from the body so that they don't have to buy the most expensive lenses to see any gains, people can buy the much cheaper F4 and variable Fstop lenses and still have very fast accurate AF

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 02-02-2017 at 12:22 AM.
02-02-2017, 02:13 AM   #94
Veteran Member

As previously stated no reason Richo couldn't instigate D500 type AF performance new lens would be required and the body would cost fractional more than D500.

Which gives us the main sticking block ... Pentax users will not invest in large enough numbers to be an economic project.

It seems they'd rather whine and shoot obsolete equipment than even invest in the ridiculously cheap incrementally upgraded bodies.!!!

Whilst that mentality exists Ricoh has no option than to follow their current path. Leveraging very creative functionality to produce cheap highly capable cameras.

02-02-2017, 03:47 AM   #95
Pentaxian

The problems is now in my country where Pentax is being made, Pentax cams are more expensive than the Nikon equivalent. For example, the K-3II is about $65 more than the D7200. Basically people will now look at Pentax as not the cheaper alternative. What would come into the minds of people is Nikon offers more at a cheaper price. I'm just disappointed at how the authorize dealer does things here. My experience with their service is also awful. I get my gears directly from Japan. I'm cheaper by about $120. I sure do hope Ricoh will do something about this.
02-02-2017, 03:57 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen incremental improvement in Pentax auto focus over time. There was a time when it was completely unusable for tracking shots (K20 and before) while now, with the K-1 and K3, it does pretty well, assuming decent contrast and a lens with a fast auto focus motor (DFA zoom). Stick a true SDM lens or a lens driven by the body and things get more dicey. A lens like the DA 40 will get places really fast because it is small and has a short focus throw, but it isn't always very accurate.

Anyway, I don't expect any magical breakthroughs, but evolutionary improvements are probably adequate considering where Pentax SLRs are at now.