Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 03:56 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any news about Pentax AF system breakthrough?

As we know the most photo companies implement different new technologies in AF system.
Canon - Dual Pixel AF system + very advanced phase AF
Nikon has simply the best phase AF system
Sony, Fuji and Olympus - Hybrid AF system - rather advanced already
Panasonic - Depth from Defocus AF system

Ricoh - archaistic phase and contrast AF - nothing new at all.
Hybrid AF in K-70 is used only for video with several lenses and no any serious explanation of this system in marketing information.

When will we see something new? How do you think - could we see new AF system this year?

There was information about possibility of using SR system for better focusing, but...

01-29-2017, 04:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh will do their own thing in their own time - but we know they are trying
01-29-2017, 04:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

For a while, Pentax was leading in low light sensitivity. So it's not like they're doing nothing
01-29-2017, 04:15 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
For a while, Pentax was leading in low light sensitivity. So it's not like they're doing nothing
On paper - yes. For several months. My K-5IIs has EV-3, but it doesn't help in real life.

01-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I noticed a real improvement.
01-29-2017, 04:24 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I noticed a real improvement.
But it can't cancel the fact that we don't see any serious steps from Ricoh in this direction.
To put sensor with higher sensitivity is not new technology.
01-29-2017, 04:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a technical person but, I think improvements on the lens motors would help a lot. Like the new 55-300 with PLM technology. Just my thought, Pentax should upgrade their lens line up.

01-29-2017, 04:41 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

And "Nikon has simply the best phase AF system" is new technology?
Sour grapes. In real life, I noticed significant AF improvements, from the K-5IIs to the K-1 - and with my new lenses. And I will continue to notice significant AF improvements, because I can afford it. I don't have to pretend it doesn't happen.
01-29-2017, 04:46 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm not a technical person but, I think improvements on the lens motors would help a lot. Like the new 55-300 with PLM technology. Just my thought, Pentax should upgrade their lens line up.
It helps too.
01-29-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax is not a very communicative company. I'm sure a different marketing department would phrase that "algorithm improvement " rather differently...
01-29-2017, 04:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am sure Pentax could match Nikon's (or anyone else's) AF if they wanted to. It's fundamentally a matter of engineering, resources and priorities, not magic.
01-29-2017, 04:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

And "Nikon has simply the best phase AF system" is new technology? Sour grapes. In real life, I noticed significant AF improvements, from the K-5IIs to the K-1 - and with my new lenses. And I will continue to notice significant AF improvements, because I can afford it.
Mentioning other brands is more a manifest of envy, rather than a need.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Any news about Pentax AF system breakthrough? As we know the most photo companies implement different new technologies in AF system. Canon - Dual Pixel AF system + very advanced phase AF Nikon has simply the best phase AF system Sony, Fuji and Olympus - Hybrid AF system - rather advanced already Panasonic - Depth from Defocus AF system Ricoh - archaistic phase and contrast AF - nothing new at all. Hybrid AF in K-70 is used only for video with several lenses and no any serious explanation of this system in marketing information. When will we see something new? How do you think - could we see new AF system this year? There was information about possibility of using SR system for better focusing, but...
You use a K5IIs. So, in order to get a significant improvement of AF performance without switching to Nikon, Pentax does not need to raise a finger for you, you only need to buy a K3 :-). And show us all of your nice AF tracking shots.
01-29-2017, 04:51 AM   #13
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
And "Nikon has simply the best phase AF system" is new technology?
There is something new in this old technology.
Check D5 and D500's AF system. It's extensive way in some aspects, but very effective.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d5-pro-dslr-review/9

Ricoh has no even something close.

Last edited by ogl; 01-29-2017 at 04:58 AM.
01-29-2017, 04:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You use a K5IIs. So, in order to get a significant improvement of AF performance without switching to Nikon, Pentax does not need to raise a finger for you, you only need to buy a K3 :-). And show us all of your nice AF tracking shots.
I mean, if Pentax AF is dinosaur, having a camera that's two generation behind the lastly released Pentax gear, place you back in pre-dinausorus era.
01-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Mentioning other brands is more a manifest of envy, rather than a need.
Well, I could've jumped to Nikon instead going K-1, so it's not me. It's not you either. Who is it, then?