Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What I could remember quickly:
That's a good list.

I'd add to that the fact that after K-5, tweaks to the Pentax AF sensor optics and metering (in K-30, K-5II onwards) solved the 'tungsten light causing huge front focus problems' issue. That problem alone was one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade from the K-5. It drove me crazy. (Some brands AF - eg Nikon - are still plagued by that issue, BTW).

01-29-2017, 06:03 PM - 3 Likes   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Is there any chance that Hybrid AF could help the old screw drive lenses to be always accurate?
I doubt screw drive lenses will ever approach the repeatability (precision, not strictly accuracy) of in-motor AF lenses no matter what the AF in the camera body is, because of the slop introduced by two additional mechanical drive interfaces - in-body motor to screw, and screw to lens AF drive gear.

And, I also don't believe any AF system will ever be always accurate. Photo forums are littered with complaints about inaccurate AF even from people that spend $5K on a body and $10K on a lens. The better systems can give more accurate results a greater percentage of time. But if you really cannot be satisfied with less than always accurate, maybe painting would be a less frustrating hobby for you.

I don't care speed too much.

To say honest - my dream is simple - never back or front focus with my camera and lenses.
Don't make the mistake of attributing back or front focus (as caused by inaccurate PDAF calibration, which you've alluded to previously) to all missed focus shots. The calibration process can remove systematic front/back focus errors, but not any other of a myriad of issues which cause missed focus. I think the most significant of those is that the the unfortunately termed "focus point" is not just a point - it's an area.

Suppose you line up the focus indicator in the viewfinder directly over an eyelash. But PDAF doesn't know you are looking at an eyelash. It only sees light/dark contrast, and that nice vertical contrast line from your subject's hair outlining the side of the face, while not directly under the "focus point (shudder)" is still within the area seen by the AF detector, and results in a back-focussed shot. Or suppose your camera has taken a hard knock or two and the focus indicator array (up in the top of the camera) is no longer precisely aligned with the AF detector (in the bottom of the camera). Or suppose you sometimes wobble a bit - I know I do - when taking a shot. Or any of a dozen other things will cause a missed (back or front) focus.

I think the best way to improve focus accuracy has nothing to do with buying better gear or waiting for the latest Pentax camera; it involves experimenting with the gear you have. That is, experiment with intent to learn the intricacies of how AF works on your camera. For example, draw a dainty low-contrast eyelash (or whatever is appropriate for your typical subject) with a fine point sharpie on a piece of paper right near the edge of the paper, and then draw a big, bold high contrast face/hairline (or subject relevant) with a fat sharpee on another piece of paper.

Hang them with one a couple cm in front of the other. Now, with continuous AF setting, and looking through the viewfinder on your camera, approach the eyelash from the "clean" side (opposite the face/hairline drawing) with your selected focus point (again, shudder) and see where the camera locks in focus. Continue panning the camera until focus changes because it's influenced by the face/hairline drawing. Try again with different distances between eyelash/ face/hairline drawings. Try them reversed side to side (results may not be symmetrical!), and then back to front. Try rotating them 90 degrees and panning vertically. My prediction is that if you spend sufficient time doing something like this, the percentage of in-focus "real" shots you make will increase noticeably.

Now, if you've already mastered these things, and there are no other AF issues affecting your results beyond PDAF front/back focus, and speed is of no big concern, then your dream of no front/back focus is already in place. No breakthrough needed, just use CDAF.

Frankly, I'm surprised how well the AF in my K-5IIs works - it can focus accurately on things I can't even see when it's dark. It's a whole lot faster than I am, and it can pick out a subject behind some branches, in spite of the many times I've read complaints about dinner plate sized focus points. Room for advances? Sure. More points (ugh), and smaller - though too small and they aren't sensitive enough. Image recognition sensor separate from PDAF sensor - I think K-3 has the beginnings of this, and Nikon for sure. PDAF sites on main sensor could help with front/back issues and calibration, but not sure how useful generally having to give up image sensors for AF sensor sites.

Yes, improvements will come, though not likely led by Pentax gear if past is a good predictor. But, all new AF advancements will be flawed in this respect: they will not be perfect. They will not meet your "always accurate" requirement. There will be someone on some forum somewhere who will complain about the AF, no matter how many generations hence.

So my advice is to learn to enjoy your current gear, upgrade as it makes sense to you and abandon the idea that certain gears will remove the possibility of inaccurate focus.
01-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax K3 is close to 7D AF perf. + better sensor, price $800. My facts.

The K3 can track almost as well as a 7D.
Good one! Maybe if you refering to 7D Mark I autofocus, then this statement can be taken into consideration.

Later edit. I had K-5 II and K-3 II. I saw a difference in tracking between K-5 II and K-3 II, as I saw a little improvement regarding af speed between K-3 II and K-1. So yes, Pentax cameras have improved af with the new release.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 01-30-2017 at 02:08 AM.
01-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Maybe if you refering to 7D Mark I autofocus
Yes, :-) I wrote 7D . Which is not bad, the 7D stayed unsurpassed for several years. If the K3 is as good as a 7D, it is the unsurpassed camera of several years ago.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-30-2017 at 02:22 PM.
01-30-2017, 02:44 PM - 4 Likes   #80
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I had K-5 and I can say that K-5 was the worst camera in terms of AF. Looks like my ist* DS.
Even K200D is better. A bit slower, but much accurate.
I could tell you what I really think, but then I'd have to issue myself with an Infraction. With all due respect - that's nonsense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a K-5's AF capabilities.

Here's some examples: (Action, macro, low light, etc!)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-30-2017 at 08:23 PM.
01-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I could tell you what I really think, but then I'd have to issue myself with an Infraction. With all due respect - You're talking nonsense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a K-5's AF capabilities.

Here's some examples: (Action, macro, low light, etc!)
Great pictures shows just how good the K-5 still is. Going to make it hard for me to upgrade my K-5 to the KP as a backup to my K-3. These cameras are built to last and they are definitely living up to that promise.
One other thing: THAT IS ONE HELL OF A SCARY LOOKING SPIDER!!!!!
01-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Great pictures shows just how good the K-5 still is. Going to make it hard for me to upgrade my K-5 to the KP as a backup to my K-3. These cameras are built to last and they are definitely living up to that promise.
One other thing: THAT IS ONE HELL OF A SCARY LOOKING SPIDER!!!!!
Thanks! The spider is a Dolomedes Aquaticus, or a Water Spider. They usually live near rivers and streams and are quite harmless.

01-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #83
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I wish we had a STICKY of old Norm's well written article last year regarding all the "things we want in a Pentax" and specifically fantastic AF.

I can't find it or I would post it here, it is well worth reading for anyone that understands the simplest of reason and logic. You can get most anything you want ....you just have to pay for it. It is not really any more complicated than that. Cameras, cars, homes, jewelry.....almost everything has a price/benefit relationship. No one at the best restaurant in town is keeping you from ordering their finest steak.....but it will cost you more than their hamburger.
Doesn't mean their hamburger isn't a heck of a good value...it may very well be! I am no "fanboy" or up on any Pentax soapbox, but I certainly believe I have found great value in Pentax cameras. The AF in my K1 is by far the best of any Pentax I have owned.....and yes, it was more expensive than the others, but still a real bargain!

Regards!
01-30-2017, 08:29 PM - 2 Likes   #84
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am no "fanboy" or up on any Pentax soapbox, but I certainly believe I have found great value in Pentax cameras.
I feel the same way Rupert. What gets me going is the sweeping statements (negative ones) about Pentax this or that. I'm all for fair critique of a product or service, but sweeping statements like the one about K-5's ability to focus properly gets me going. I only have a K-5 and older film cameras. I'd love a K-1, but for now that's not a possibility. In the mean time, I make do with my (very good) K-5 in the same way as I made do with my (very good) SFXn before that, not to mention my Z-10 and my SFX before that.
01-31-2017, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #85
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

What gets me going is the sweeping statements (negative ones) about Pentax this or that.
They are always around, here and at other sites as well. Always looking for the negative, always looking for controversy. Sort of like rats and roaches that hang on despite every effort to eliminate them. Many don't even own a Pentax, and many that do don't ever use them ....you often can't find any photos in their history...with any camera. It is not as much about cameras or Pentax as it is about people with troubled personalities and not much of a real life. Sad really...to be that disturbed and troubled.

Regards!
01-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #86
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
In the new age of "alternative facts" we seem to be entering, or have already entered, where respect and the regard for facts seems to the in the retreat on so many fronts, I happen to value both the freedom of speech and the respect for people, institutions, and facts highly.

Is it really necessary to routinely single out certain forum members and use slurs like boriscleto v. (even if only in jest) for them when this forum prides itself to be the "Friendly Pentax Camera Forum" (which normally it is)? Why is that user constantly picked upon when it is obvious, and only natural, I guess, that many of us have our foibles and idiosyncrasies, including those diseminating such terms?

Just something I couldn't help noticing, and I don't think it is anything to do with political correctness. It's about respect.
Probably because most "normal" user don't go around berating Ricoh/Pentax on their lack of technology/advancement while simultaneously being confrontational with everyone who does not agree with him or provides explanations as to why his point of view is invalid (aka bitching about the AF and lack of advancement while not having tried anything that succeeded the K5 series)

Thats like me going around everyday blasting the driveability of american made cars when I'm driving a 1965 chevy and refuse to update/try any of their models made in the last decade... it rubs people the wrong way (and rightly so) and when he refuses to acknowledge their valid point and factual information and continues to spread and spew his misinformation and fallacies people tend to take that to hearth and pile up on him (I guess in a effort to either provide 3rd party readers with the fact that this person is spewing fallacies left and right; or in the hope that if enough people pile on him, he'll get discouraged that no one is paying attention to his nonsense and just leave).

Dont get me wrong both sides are at fault to an extent but I find it much easier to side with the person trying to bring factual information to the discussion that gets angry and resorts to insults than I find it easy to side with the person who is willingly ignoring facts so that he can continue spewing his willfully ignorant viewpoint even when countered with facts

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-31-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Masked profanities removed.
01-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #87
mee
Veteran Member

Thanks! The spider is a Dolomedes Aquaticus, or a Water Spider. They usually live near rivers and streams and are quite harmless.
Does the spider know this?

I'm pretty sure if one landed on me, there would be great harm to my heart and blood pressure.
01-31-2017, 07:10 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Does the spider know this?
I'm pretty sure if one landed on me, there would be great harm to my heart and blood pressure.
Well, if it ran up my leg, it would have to bath for a week on end to get itself clean!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-31-2017 at 07:34 PM.
01-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5II is not a perfect camera for fast movements but I think I can freeze some shots. It ain't that bad you know.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-01-2017, 12:51 AM - 2 Likes   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
It ain't that bad you know.
For sure I love my k5. This is my sample with motion. there's a little error in exposure setting ( usually I shot with second curtain flash syncro, this time flash didn't fired).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo