Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #16

I have only used Pentax and Nikon, and comparing those two systems I'd say this comparison is pretty spot on.

IMO, the weakest area Pentax has compared to Nikon is its flash system. Nikon's iTTL system is light years ahead. Even using Nikon flashes (in AUTO mode) on Pentax gives me better results then using Pentax flashes in P-TTL mode.

Nikon AF is also generally faster but not really an issue unless you are dealing with sports where super fast AF becomes critical. Of course the lens you are using will also affect AF speed so it really depends on which specific camera/lens combination that you are using.

BUT despite these 'issues' I vastly prefer the tonal quality of Pentax and gave up on Nikon for that reason

Last edited by Theov39; 04-20-2017 at 01:03 PM.
02-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Cons:

- Worst AF system I ever used
- Lack behind in TTL flash system and number of available choices
- Limited 3rd party support, especially on lenses (Sigma Arts)
- Tethering, Wi-Fi and Connectivity, in general, is horrendous
- Bad Video quality
Can you explain what you mean when you say that Pentax has the worst AF system you have ever used? Does that refer to speed to acquire focus lock, or accuracy or something else? My K-5lls may be a bit slow to lock focus but the keeper rate is near 100%. I used my friends Nikon D5500 recently and it locked focus nearly instantly but half the images were out of focus. I used another friends Nikon D750 and it was fast and accurate, but I didn't notice it being that much faster, but in truth I wasn't shooting anything moving fast, just a person speaking at a lectern. I owned a Canon T3i and it was slow to lock focus AND it was often out of focus. Also, shot a few pics with the fuji X100T and didn't see where it was that much faster to focus lock either and the friend who owned it ended up getting rid of it for the Nikon D750 because he said images were to noisy in low light. So, as an amateur photographer who has made a few dollars shooting portraits and helping in a few weddings, I am genuinely interested in understanding what a great AF systems is compared to what I have with my K-5lls. Thanks!
02-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This already has way more attention than it deserves.

He's a Canon guy forced to use Pentax, enough said.

Last edited by normhead; 02-17-2017 at 07:06 PM.
02-17-2017, 06:57 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe so, but I rather enjoy hearing from others who have tried different systems and what their take is between brands. Also knowing of course it's their interpretation and opinion. Just for fun I looked on the bhphotovideo site for comparable lenses that I currently have with my K-3. Boy Canon is E X P E N S I V E. Good night! $2,000 for this lens, and $2,000 for that lens. Pentax is a bargain compared to what Canon charges.

02-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Maybe so, but I rather enjoy hearing from others who have tried different systems and what their take is between brands. Also knowing of course it's their interpretation and opinion. Just for fun I looked on the bhphotovideo site for comparable lenses that I currently have with my K-3. Boy Canon is E X P E N S I V E. Good night! $2,000 for this lens, and $2,000 for that lens. Pentax is a bargain compared to what Canon charges.
I always said, one thing about Pentax was, I could always afford the best they had to offer. IN that sense, they are becoming Nikon and Canon already. Canon had $2000 lenses I couldn't afford, Nikon had $2000 lenses I couldn't afford. Now Pentax too has $2000 CDN lenses I can't afford. They've joined the club.
02-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Now Pentax too has $2000 CDN lenses I can't afford. They've joined the club
Yea. I won't be buying those $2,000 Pentax lenses anytime soon either LOL. I wonder why you Canadian guys have to pay so much more for the same lenses.

Listed below are my current Pentax lenses and what I paid for them. Note: EVERY LENS I own was purchased USED except for the FA 43. So maybe that's not quite fair but it's worked well for me

FA 43 only NEW lens purchased for $584

FA 31 $749

DA*50-135 $610

DA*200 $665

FA 100 2.8 $239

F*300 $975

DA 14 $100

SMC M 50 1.4 $45
02-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well the prices are high for new Pentax lenses because of little competition and small market.
And the prices for rare Pentaxx lenses are high, well because.
OTOH, Nikon (and others) with its huge market is in trouble.
So which would you rather have to deal with (given the prices are effectively similar?)

M
02-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Seeing as though Pentax's latest offering (KP) sports an older AF system (SAFOX XI) I'm not holding out for any great advances in this rather critical area anytime soon.

The K-1's not bad with the right lenses though, manageable, just not particularly mind blowing performance.

02-17-2017, 11:56 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I disagree with your assessment that Pentax has the worst AF of them all. I think Fuji's is a lot worse.
The XT2 AF feels quicker than Pentax best AF. But for all previous Fuji camera, the best Fuji AF was worse than the best Pentax AF

---------- Post added 18-02-17 at 08:05 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Final words: Using original lenses Pentax holds a very good value. However lacklustre AF performance + tethering is scaring me to make the K-1 jump. And in the real world one can grab second-hand lenses or 3rd party ones. Considering Pentax 24-70 and 15-30 is just a rebadge of Tamron, replacing brand lenses with Tamron in Canikon will make it cheaper than K-1.
It's a difficult choice. Ideally, I'd like a Nikon AF into a Pentax body and some Canon lenses. Since this combination is not possible, I have to live with what I have, whatever the brand. So , that's what I do. I have a Pentax only system which make it possible that the users interface becomes a second nature (I access whatever I want , in an instant , without thinking about it), I like the superior IQ and good lenses, and I cope with slower AF by knowing its limitations. That's called using human skills to adapt versus the costly alternative of trying to adapt the camera brand to the person. Very often, all it takes to adapt is to take the time to observe and figure things out, and it's totally free.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-18-2017 at 12:08 AM.
02-18-2017, 02:58 AM - 3 Likes   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Maybe so, but I rather enjoy hearing from others who have tried different systems and what their take is between brand
I shot Pentax for over 30 years and recently switch to Canon. I sold my K-1 and K-3 and all my lenses.
Here is my take on Pentax vs Canon. I shoot almost exclusively wild birds and mostly owls now. K-3 and K-1 were fantastic cameras. Image quality superb. I really miss K-1, there is no better FF camera on the market then K-1 if you shoot landscapes, portraits, any kind of studio work and also great for wildlife as long as doesn't require blazing fast AF lock and tracking. I have tried K-1 with flagship Pentax 150-450mm lens and it just wasn't consistent enough to deliver. I tried my friend's older 1D Mark IV paired with older first generation Canon EF300mm f/2.8L USM lens (NON-IS..no image stabilization) and I was blown away. The image quality and autofocus blazing fast and dead on accurate with 10 FPS. This Canon combo allowed me to get shots that I couldn't achieve with K-1 or K-3.
I think that both K-1 and K-3 are capable to do great shots for wildlife and I made tons of good shots, but the weakness is lack of good NEW long fast prime lenses. I was hoping that Pentax would come out with new long prime HQ lens, but that was not the case.
It makes perfect sense for Pentax to focus on it's strength and that is landscape and portrait photography.
What I really miss that most modern Pentax bodies have is the image stabilization in the body and menus, controls and overall design. Pentax is the best.
Far as IQ and dynamic range, nothing beats K-1 period. Said that Canon 1D class bodies has pretty darn good IQ and dynamic range also.
It was really hard move for me to switch to Canon because I love Pentax gear, but at the same time I knew that if I want to get a shots like this posted bellow I need AF system to be able to handle one of the hardest subjects to track in flight like Short-eared owls which they fly like a giant moth.. very erratic, constantly changing speed , elevation and direction.
It really boils down what the photographer primary shoot and choose the gear to match it. For me personally AF speed, superb tracking and high FPS is a must, because otherwise I would miss many shots.
Some recent shots of Short-eared owl Canon 1D Mark IV and Canon 1D Mark III with Canon EF300mm f/2.8L USM NON-IS

This shot won "Editor's Choice" in NatureScapes.net 1D Mark IV

1D Mark IV

1D Mark III (10MB body)
02-18-2017, 03:21 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Well the prices are high for new Pentax lenses because of little competition and small market.
And the prices for rare Pentaxx lenses are high, well because.
OTOH, Nikon (and others) with its huge market is in trouble.
So which would you rather have to deal with (given the prices are effectively similar?)

M
I don't think Pentax DFA zooms are that expensive compared to similarly specified Canon and Nikon zooms. The DFA 70-200 has been priced in the 1600 range, but Canon and Nikon 70-200 f2.8 lenses are not any cheaper (Nikon is over 1000 dollars more). The absence of Tamron and Sigma, lower priced options, is probably the issue, but I don't know that that is something Pentax can fix.

To the OP's comparison, much depends on what you shoot and the K-1 is more than adequate for wedding and landscape photography. Not so great for sports. The biggest thing is to shoot with what makes you happy and you enjoy using.
02-18-2017, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster

He's a Canon guy forced to use Pentax, enough said.

I just wanted to share my thoughts mate. I was fortunate enough to work with several camera systems and just trying to reflect my observations.

---

Tbh I hate canon, I can't explain why but the feeling is not right for me. When holding my K3 I feel happy, I feel secure.

Now, most of my lenses are 3rd party offerings and that could explain my Af performance issues. It just feels too slow to lock on the target. I haven't used the K-1 yet but all AF points being in the centre is not too great. Also from what I read on the internet, it is not a fast camera, the buffer is slow to empty, USB 2 is horrible and weights tonnes like other FF.

No camera or ecosystem is perfect but Pentax is so damn close and far away at the same time. X-T2 is a very promising camera and fuji lens line-up looks well structured. I will try to use both cameras to settle down my "GAS" but it is good to see Pentax community is well aware of these shortcomings and accepting them. (By the way, most of you seems like landscape shooters)
02-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
I am genuinely interested in understanding what a great AF systems is compared to what I have with my K-5lls. Thanks!
K-3 after firmware update with 55-300 PLM!
02-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
K-3 after firmware update with 55-300 PLM!
You might be on to something. Canon brought out a stepper motor system years ago but it never really took off. I think while being more accurate, it was slower than their top of the line AF. Pentax won't have that issue. More accurate but not quite as fast has always been Pentax's M.O.

While I love the owl shots above, a brief look at the Canon 1D's price makes me say "that's nuts." Once my photography income goes over 15,000k per year, I might consider such a body. However, long lenses are problematic where I live. I saw a Pileated Woodpecker the other day but he was gone so fast I didn't have time to turn and shoot. I suspect great tracking is more useful in wide open places, where you actually see BiFs for more than 5 seconds.

I regularly see guys carrying $20k in Canon gear. But they aren't great photographers. Just guys with really good jobs.

Can you really make those cameras and bodies pay for themselves? I was talking to the guy who produces slideshow for Algoqnuin Park the other day. He said, they used to pay $250 an image. These days almost everything is donated. SO any guys with good systems taking great images, who are happy to give them away. 15 years ago, I could have maybe afforded one. I'm not paying that kind of money to give stuff away.

The proliferation of great camera systems has made the images taken with them far less valuable. You almost have to have some kind of gimmick going on these days.

By the way Tess and I submitted work to the Toronto Star contests as part of our "We're bored let's think of something to do" program. , and had 20% of our submitted photos published. , 4 out of 20. So while it's nice to see folks doing well with Canon gear....you can also get recognized with Pentax gear if that's your goal. It really depends on what you want to shoot.

Last edited by normhead; 02-18-2017 at 07:10 AM.
02-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
I shot Pentax for over 30 years and recently switch to Canon. I sold my K-1 and K-3 and all my lenses.
Here is my take on Pentax vs Canon. I shoot almost exclusively wild birds and mostly owls now. K-3 and K-1 were fantastic cameras. Image quality superb. I really miss K-1, there is no better FF camera on the market then K-1 if you shoot landscapes, portraits, any kind of studio work and also great for wildlife as long as doesn't require blazing fast AF lock and tracking. I have tried K-1 with flagship Pentax 150-450mm lens and it just wasn't consistent enough to deliver. I tried my friend's older 1D Mark IV paired with older first generation Canon EF300mm f/2.8L USM lens (NON-IS..no image stabilization) and I was blown away. The image quality and autofocus blazing fast and dead on accurate with 10 FPS. This Canon combo allowed me to get shots that I couldn't achieve with K-1 or K-3.
I think that both K-1 and K-3 are capable to do great shots for wildlife and I made tons of good shots, but the weakness is lack of good NEW long fast prime lenses. I was hoping that Pentax would come out with new long prime HQ lens, but that was not the case.
It makes perfect sense for Pentax to focus on it's strength and that is landscape and portrait photography.
What I really miss that most modern Pentax bodies have is the image stabilization in the body and menus, controls and overall design. Pentax is the best.
Far as IQ and dynamic range, nothing beats K-1 period. Said that Canon 1D class bodies has pretty darn good IQ and dynamic range also.
It was really hard move for me to switch to Canon because I love Pentax gear, but at the same time I knew that if I want to get a shots like this posted bellow I need AF system to be able to handle one of the hardest subjects to track in flight like Short-eared owls which they fly like a giant moth.. very erratic, constantly changing speed , elevation and direction.
It really boils down what the photographer primary shoot and choose the gear to match it. For me personally AF speed, superb tracking and high FPS is a must, because otherwise I would miss many shots.
Some recent shots of Short-eared owl Canon 1D Mark IV and Canon 1D Mark III with Canon EF300mm f/2.8L USM NON-IS

This shot won "Editor's Choice" in NatureScapes.net 1D Mark IV
Great photos and that a very valid reason to make a move as this is your main hobby. You understand and appreciate Pentax for what it can do and you appreciate Canon for the difference. No need to talk bad at one or another.
Each person who progress in photog need to define their key needs and choose proper system for that main need.
Pentax for me is a like a Army Swiss knife good at everything but not the best for everything. But Pentax is probably the best for that.