Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Opening a Wedding/Events Venue - Need Help...

So, going to play "Active Duty Entrepreneur" and launch a venue with a business partner. She is an exceptionally talented and well-established local photographer that I have worked with and known for the past two years.

We are struggling to concoct the perfect name, and I figured I would turn here for some assistance. It is to be located somewhere in the Cape Fear Region, North Carolina.

Originally, I thought Cape Fear Barn would be a solid name that was settled, but my partner is having second thoughts. This is why I liked it:
  1. It's decisive - 3 words, one syllable each.
  2. Easy to remember, never mis-spellable.
  3. Building off #2, 12 total letters, making it an optimal domain name (and www.capefearbarn.com is available).
  4. Capitalizes on entire region for marketing with instant name recognition. Same town has "Cape Fear Hospital" and "Cape Fear Botanical Gardens"
  5. SEO is built in, especially if anyone searches "cape fear barn wedding" or "cape fear barn venue"
  6. it's simplicity is part of its strength. "Get married at the Barn!" Because there's only barn that matters in the entire Cape Fear region - The Cape Fear Barn.
  7. "Barn" is used in many famous and highly regarded venues across the U.S. and even in other English speaking countries.
I'm not married to the name, however we're struggling to come up with something that captures the rustic feel of a barn but also its modern elegance and (eventual) prestige. Additionally, we want the venue space to be enticing not just to couples looking for the perfect venue, but also the local military community for formal galas and the like (as we'll be a veteran-owned business) as well as other corporate (non-military) functions.

The property is covered in holly and pine trees (some hardwood, but not much), so we've been playing word-tetris with all combinations of "Holly" "Woods" "Wilds" "Manor" "Reserve" "Ranch" "Landing" etc.

Thoughts?

Also, if you've ever done anything like this and would like to chime in regarding lessons learned from the experience, that'd be great! But please don't comment on the viability of the project because we've done the research and the business plan is solid and we're moving forward. I'd share the actual plan, however it's still in draft form and we haven't presented it to the bank yet. Nonetheless, we're extremely confident, to include the numbers and purposeful growth potential within the first three years as this will be a unique offering for the area.

Thanks for the help! And of course I'll provide more info as to the progress of the project and its details when able.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 02-28-2017 at 07:56 PM.
02-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have anything constructive to say... but Cape Fear Barn sounds like a pretty solid name.

Good luck with the business!
02-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your business fills a need and is well run, even awkwardly cute names like Holly "Woods" won't hurt you, but it won't be a help. I'm with you on keeping it easy to remember enough of the name to google it (most people google domain names instead of directly typing them in the addressbar) and including the location in the name for a building so it is easier to tell if it is close enough to consider is also a good idea. If your partner really hates being associated with a barn, you could try Cape Fear Great Room or anything else that isn't as agricultural as "barn," but I think "barn" is good myself. Good luck!
02-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go buy the name now. Before someone sees this via google search and hijacks it. If you don't use it you barely wasted any money.

As for the name... Barn doesn't scream weddings. But it will likely work.

02-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #5

My dream is always getting into wedding business, i like the name by the way good luck
Which lenses do you prefer for wedding pictures?
02-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Thoughts?
Hi Heie,

You have lots of good ideas and well reasoned arguments for naming the business. I do design work and occasionally I am asked to help with naming of the biz for my clients. If it is an abstract name then you can pick anything you like and go with it. However, when it references a location, I try to make it somehow relate back to some attribute of the location.

I like Cape Fear Barn. Is there a barn involved. Does the place have any resemblance to a barn. If not then be careful with the name because people are gonna come looking for a barn. A barn and wedding in a barn is the coolest think, if it exists. On the other hand you have a bunch of other name ideas that could be equally effective.

I like, Manor, Pines and Ranch. As in Cape Fear Pines, and so forth.

As far as SEO, remember that if someone is interested in getting married in or near Cape Fear, common sense says the search criteria will include Cape Fear and wedding, the third word in the name of the business will not play as much of a role in the search criteria. However, visually and feeling wise it might play a big role. I hope this makes sense.

In any case, good luck with the venture. I have good feelings about the idea. Go for it.
02-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Heie. I also think the name is good. I myself have been trying to get a domain name for my "business" and I know its really hard.
You dont want to be stuck with a name that your partner might not like. But like I said its a good name.

What you could do is add maybe a slogan or phrase that gives romantic idea of what the place is for. She could choose the phrase.

Just a thought. I hope to see your website in your signature soon when your business takes off.

Culture

03-01-2017, 01:43 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Heie, just go for it and drag your partner along with you... kicking and screaming if need be.

Some subtle words from the old Kerrowdown, good luck with this new business venture, whatever you end up calling it.
03-01-2017, 02:15 AM   #9
Forum Member

Your reasoning is solid and hard to argue with. That said, I do not like the name. It's just not appealing to me. First, I think 'barn' is overused nowadays. It may be trendy but for a lot of people it may have an awkward association. Cape Fear is a problem as well. I understand it's a geographical name but Cape Fear Barn sounds more like a torture/BDSM venue than a banquet hall and that's not very enticing for business in my eyes Maybe it's a male/female perception difference, don't know. If I knew nothing about your business, you would not pop very high on my: 'to call and check' list.

Just my two cents

Good luck with it whatever you decide!

Last edited by mag07; 03-01-2017 at 03:58 AM.
03-01-2017, 03:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heie, I like your proposed business name. I would have done exactly what you have done in looking at availability of web address etc. The only other logical name I can think of is Cape Fear Function Venue, which is a lot more wordy than 'Barn'. But, I suppose a website like capefearfunctions.com could work. If the building looks somewhat like a barn, then I'm all for calling it a barn.
03-01-2017, 04:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Different countries, different views.

I have no problem with Cape Fear - after all, it is the locale. It might be an off-putting name to non-locals, after all there were the two psychological thriller movies named Cape Fear and the hotel in the first film was the Bates house from Psycho...... Oddly enough, even though the film was set elsewhere, the name always brings to mind Bodega Bay (see the movie Birds) to where I've been when visiting a friend who lives there.

Not having seen any pics of the building, "modern elegance and (eventual) prestige" doesn't match "barn".

To me , "Manor" evokes a large Estate and home in Britain, not a wedding venue in America.

"Landing" brings up thoughts of a lake with a jetty.

"Ranch" - is it a ranch?
03-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I am not sure the name is descriptive enough. Just what kind of barn is this? A traditional farm? A petting zoo? A storage facility? You may want to consider something like Cape Fear Events Barn or Cape Fear Wedding Barn. Then you could still use caprefearbarn as your web address.
03-01-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for chiming in!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As for the name... Barn doesn't scream weddings. But it will likely work.
Really? Not sure what part of the U.S. you're from but it's extremely popular. Just good a google search for "barn weddings" and you'll get flooded with results. Especially here in the south, it's not a tiny niche...

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Is there a barn involved. Does the place have any resemblance to a barn. If not then be careful with the name because people are gonna come looking for a barn. A barn and wedding in a barn is the coolest think, if it exists. On the other hand you have a bunch of other name ideas that could be equally effective.
So I guess I should have been more clear about at least that lol. But yes, it will be a massive barn that's approximately 8000 sq ft (total footprint). Here's a look at the blueprints (which yours truly drafted up using Photoshop lol):

As you can tell, it will be constructed from scratch. Additionally, this obviously isnt the interiour of our facility, however this is what we're going for. This is the interior of the Sycamore Barn - a $10,000-15,000 venue in Tennessee. No, our property will not be able to compete with those grounds lol (if you click on the link to see it).

Obviously there will be some differences between ours, however that's a good idea of the collors and exposed wood we are looking for. We won't have the mezzanine either (although we've already discussed where to put one should we decide to add it several years down the road).

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Heie, just go for it and drag your partner along with you... kicking and screaming if need be.
Lisa, when you eventually read this, know that this wasn't my idea

QuoteOriginally posted by mag07 Quote
Your reasoning is solid and hard to argue with. That said, I do not like the name. It's just not appealing to me. First, I think 'barn' is overused nowadays. It may be trendy but for a lot of people it may have an awkward association. Cape Fear is a problem as well. I understand it's a geographical name but Cape Fear Barn sounds more like a torture/BDSM venue than a banquet hall and that's not very enticing for business in my eyes Maybe it's a male/female perception difference, don't know. If I knew nothing about your business, you would not pop very high on my: 'to call and check' list. Just my two cents Good luck with it whatever you decide!
She's of the same mentality. Does your perception change now I've added some information above (blueprints and a sample from a similar facility).

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Heie, I like your proposed business name. I would have done exactly what you have done in looking at availability of web address etc. The only other logical name I can think of is Cape Fear Function Venue, which is a lot more wordy than 'Barn'. But, I suppose a website like capefearfunctions.com could work. If the building looks somewhat like a barn, then I'm all for calling it a barn.
Three words is what I'd like to keep it to. I'm a very big proponent of simplicity. And "Functions" is even more generic and with none of the "pinache" lol

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Different countries, different views. I have no problem with Cape Fear - after all, it is the locale. It might be an off-putting name to non-locals, after all there were the two psychological thriller movies named Cape Fear and the hotel in the first film was the Bates house from Psycho...... Oddly enough, even though the film was set elsewhere, the name always brings to mind Bodega Bay (see the movie Birds) to where I've been when visiting a friend who lives there. Not having seen any pics of the building, "modern elegance and (eventual) prestige" doesn't match "barn". To me , "Manor" evokes a large Estate and home in Britain, not a wedding venue in America. "Landing" brings up thoughts of a lake with a jetty. "Ranch" - is it a ranch?
Ha! No, haunted weddings will not be our specialty Locally, and semi non-locally (extending beyond the region), "Cape Fear" is a family name that everyone is aware of and doesn't bat an eye towards. It's also the name of the most significant river in the area (Cape Fear River) that covers over two hundred miles until it ends in the Atlantic Ocean. And I'm with you as to the connotation of each word (Manor being a British estate, etc.).

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I am not sure the name is descriptive enough. Just what kind of barn is this? A traditional farm? A petting zoo? A storage facility? You may want to consider something like Cape Fear Events Barn or Cape Fear Wedding Barn. Then you could still use caprefearbarn as your web address.
Again, too many words.

Thanks again everyone, and hopefully I've done a better job of providing ample information. Your input is sincerely appreciated!

-Heie
03-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm from the south and I guess out of touch. No barn weddings in any of my circles. It looks like a lovely idea from the pictures from the venue in TN so I can only say I hope all goes well.

---------- Post added 03-01-17 at 09:44 AM ----------

I probably should point out that we got married in our great room in our first house. We emptied the room. Rented 50 chairs, had flowers done by a friend at a discounted rate, catered it ourselves, had a stereo freak do the music from a balcony, and a friend who did wedding photography on medium format shot the event. I'm highly skeptical of the value of weddings and think most couples spend far too much on a party that in the end isn't nearly as important as people want to think it is. I've seen lavish weddings and quaint ones and the quaint ones stuck with me more. The signaling of wealth in the lavish ones puts me off more often than not.

But I'm bucking a trend. So I suspect the venue will flourish.
03-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Here's a look at the blueprints (which yours truly drafted up using Photoshop lol)
Now it all makes sense. The name, Cape Fear Barn, is an excellent choice. You have done a great job with the floor plan drawings. One thing I noticed which I should bring to your attention is the kitchen size. If you are going to cook in there, I am assuming for a few hundred people, your kitchen is too small. You have to allow for refrigeration, storage, prep, cooking, plating, etc. I worked for a hotel for a number of years serving events and weddings so I hung out in the kitchen a lot. My other passion besides photograph is cooking so I pay attention to details of a kitchen and food prep. Just my two cents.