Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

'Popular Photography' magazine and PopPhoto.com to close after nearly 80 years

'Popular Photography' magazine and PopPhoto.com to close after nearly 80 years: Digital Photography Review

03-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess it is sad news for many subscribers. But for the years I subscribed, I didn't like it. What scared me was, after I let my subscription expire and didn't owe them a penny, I even got a letter threatening to use collection service if I don't restart my subscription. I simply threw away any soliciting letters from them. I can feel this magazine is not well managed.

Last edited by hyyz; 03-07-2017 at 05:06 AM.
03-06-2017, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I found Modern Photography preferable to Popular Photography back in the days of magazines.
03-06-2017, 10:03 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

These days, it's gotten harder for anyone connected with photography to make money, and anyone connected with magazine publishing to make money.

Real hard for anyone connected with publishing magazines about photography!

03-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
These days, it's gotten harder for anyone connected with photography to make money, and anyone connected with magazine publishing to make money.

Real hard for anyone connected with publishing magazines about photography!
Sad but true. Print is a dying medium. That's why I left journalism and took up teaching.
03-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Sad but true. Print is a dying medium.
+1. It is scary and sad.
03-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They did say that computers would reduce paper use . I guess it has come to fruition.

03-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I still have an interest in photography magazines. Just not ones where they push gear and equipment over craft (and offer up the same tired old tutorials on converting an image to black and white, etc.).

Lens Work is a good example of the type of photography magazine I like to sit down with, and Nature Photographer is another pretty nice one. Black & White's annual Contest Winner's edition is a must see. And Outdoor Photography is very good, but seems to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

Unless one is new to photography and has no idea where to begin, gear is best researched online.
03-07-2017, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Sad news, but not surprising. I got the last issue, a short while ago. They went from a monthly to a bi-monthly this past year.
They had gone down to around 80 something pages per edition, think a bit over 100 pages when it went bi-monthly. I chose not to continue my subscription, there just didn't seem to be enough in content to hold me.

I received the last issue, ever...as I found out, reading the link...the March/April 2017....just a very short while ago.

I got my first SLR camera (Pentax S1a) in 1968 and shortly after that started to buy both Modern Photography and Popular Photography at the newsstand. Before the end of the '60's I had subscriptions to both magazines and then on and off throughout the years...right up to the last copy of PP.

Great equipment reviews. I especially liked Bert Keppler's editorials, columns and Jason Schneider's vintage camera columns. In fact I have a copy of Keppler's excellent book ...The Pentax Way and also Schneider's three books on camera collecting.

In fact the reason I bought my Pentax 10-17 Fisheye was due to one of Mr. Keppler's columns. In this column he posed the question...to himself...that if he were ever marooned on an island by himself and could only have one camera body and one lens...what lens would it be ?

His answer...the versatile Pentax fisheye zoom. After much experience with this wonderful lens, I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Keppler. Unfortunately Mr. Keppler passed away a number of years ago. I always had a great deal of respect for his opinion, on things photographic.

I'm quite sad to see Popular Photography go. Even though I just let my subscription expire, I still intended on reading it on occasion...by picking it up at the newsstand. For many years...both Popular and Modern Photography were excellent journals and I enjoyed them very much.

Of late, I've noted a number of well known magazines ...of different focus.... have gone from monthly to 6 to 8 issues per year....and with far fewer pages than they used to have. A sign of the times in the publishing field, I'm afraid and not just special interest magazines.

Newspapers,, TV networks...all forms of media are having difficulty hanging on. Some say it's the rapidity and pervasiveness of the internet and social media . Although I worked in the media business, many decades ago, my 'view' is not current. As a result, hard for me to say.

Still very sad though.
03-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography will always remain relevant, but the way it is published has, and must, change. Glossy paper magazines have had their time - the smart ones already have a web-based presence.

I got into photography as a teenager in the 70's and I can't remember the last time I bought a magazine. It must have been at least twenty years ago.
03-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still buy magazines, even subscribed to a couple (Grassroots Motorsports and Iron&Air, used to subscribe to Juxtapoz). Part of the problem is most magazines, like much of what is on the internet, is hot garbage mediocrity. Good solid content seems to be a thing of the past, at least at the failing concerns.
03-07-2017, 12:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Part of the problem is most magazines, like much of what is on the internet, is hot garbage mediocrity. Good solid content seems to be a thing of the past
That is a result of the problem. The problem is that print media are largely irrelevant now, and those who persist on flogging a dead horse have to pay the bills by appeasing advertisers. Internet based publications have done that from day one.
03-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photography technique/tutorial/interest magazines are absolutely going extinct. You can get the same information (and ads) much more conveniently elsewhere.

There are some exceptions though... I subscribe to British Journal of Photography, which is an art journal, with high-quality prints from current exhibitions and interviews with photographers and curators. There is really no alternative other than going to the exhibitions yourself.
03-07-2017, 02:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I found Modern Photography preferable to Popular Photography back in the days of magazines.
Same here. I stopped buying it when they merged.

Chris
03-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

As someone who has current subscriptions to five magazines (Outdoor Photographer, Pop Photo, Climbing, Successful Farming, and Antique Power) I am disappointed. However, I had already made the decision to let my subscription lapse when it expires next year. It is not that I did not enjoy it anymore, but it was the least inspiring of my subscriptions, and five is just too many for me to keep up with and still have time to read an occasional book. Most magazines seem to get repetitive after a while. For that reason I took a couple years off from Outdoor Photographer, but am now enjoying it once again.

I wonder if Pop Photo will refund the remaining year of my subscription? I better go wait by the mailbox.