Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Newspapers,, TV networks...all forms of media are having difficulty hanging on. Some say it's the rapidity and pervasiveness of the internet and social media . Although I worked in the media business, many decades ago, my 'view' is not current. As a result, hard for me to say.
Agree. I too am from the golden age of print and had a career as print material (brochures, catalogs, etc.) designer. By moving onto the management side and managing projects, I avoided learning the technical side of the web. Now, some 15 years later, I am learning how to design websites and do video editing. It is staggering as to how much more one needs to know in software, various computer language and other techie stuff just to do something basic.

I am afraid the same thing (the demise of traditional media), is going to come knocking on the door of traditional camera's, DSLR, MLC, PS, etc. It is not a questions of if. It is a question of when. Who would have thought film was going to almost disappear.

PP closing, very sad day. I remember so many fond memories of reading the magazine and eagerly awaiting the arrival of the next issue.

03-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have never been a regular magazine subscriber. My philosophy has been: Why subscribe to a magazine that I can read at the library for free?
03-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a sad day, but expected. I have no idea how they made it this far. I haven't bought one for years.

They will always live on, on my had drive. At least in this one article.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/313691-...ze-images.html
03-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a sad story, but I never subscribed to them, so I guess I am to blame. I DID buy many a copy of Popular Photography and Modern Photography, but the one I finally subscribed to -- for many years -- was Peterson's Photographic. I liked that it had a much higher article to advertising ratio. I often now wish that I could page through stacks of old photo magazines from the mid-1960s through mid-1980s to read what they were saying in reviews of some legacy lenses I now have, that at the time I never thought I would have. Seeing how those lenses were valued in their time is really almost as important to me, as one interested in historic preservation, as seeing how people today size them up either for their use on film bodies or with digital ones.

03-07-2017, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

My one debt to Pop Photography was an article they did on the best lenses of all time. Based on their testing of the day. The guys you'd expect to be there were there, Zeiss, Hasselblad, Canon, Nikon, but three of the 10 were third party vendors. The other big surprise, no one had more than 2 of the top 10. Even Pentax.

It told me, you can't look at one system. You have to find the lens you want, then buy the body that goes on it. Which is what my Commercial Studio instructor always said anyway. But, according to Pop Photography it could even be a Tamron . or Sigma.

Last edited by normhead; 03-07-2017 at 09:31 AM.
03-07-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Glossy paper magazines have had their time - the smart ones already have a web-based presence.
There is only so much money to be made from online ads, if the glossy printed editions can't earn enough to pay for professional content, the business model fails. The long term trend underlying all of this is that the audience can produce for themselves content that they value as highly as what the professionals produce. I'm not saying it is of the same quality, but it has the same value to the customer. The end is nigh for many varieties of professional content generators in the modern age.
03-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still remember the cover of my first issue. It (subscription) was a Christmas present from my parents. It was a shot down a crowded city street (think NY) with a telephoto lens, and lots of compression in perspective since it was such a powerful lens. Many blocks of traffic all squeezed together, and an overall blue cast since it was a night shot. Pretty sure that was December 1977. I was really excited. Mad at myself for throwing away years of back issues when we later moved. Wish I could undo that. I resumed my subscription a couple years ago as my kids started to show an interest in photography. Bummed out that it's come to an end. Spent some time browsing the Google scan of the January 1980 issue the other night. It was wild. I remember the cover vividly. I was amazed at how much of the content I recognized - faces of writers on columns. Wow, all the old camera store adds. Took me back to the excitement of calling the stores on a Sunday and placing an order hoping it would be there by Friday. Olden, Cambridge, Executive, 47st - all there - almost all gone now. Wow. Times change. Kinda wish we could go back on a lot of this stuff. A lot of good memories of shooting film with friends during the day and developing in the evenings. Good time to slow down and enjoy the art of it instead of the rush rush instant gratification of today's ever moving world.

03-07-2017, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #23

I would always first turn to Keppler's articles, both in MP & PP.

Was pleased when his first personal dslr purchase was a Pentax!
03-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for my first issue of outdoor photography to arrive, it was 10$ for first year, figured would be no harm to try it out. Too bad magazines are shutting down, I guess digital age is not kind to everyone
03-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'm waiting for my first issue of outdoor photography to arrive, it was 10$ for first year, figured would be no harm to try it out. Too bad magazines are shutting down, I guess digital age is not kind to everyone
IN the age before the internet, information on lenses was to be had only in magazine ads. Even lens reviews were rare. It was different. Interested in a lens? Start going through your stack of magazines, see if anyone had anything on it. You felt lucky if you even found an advertisement.

Last edited by normhead; 03-07-2017 at 01:43 PM.
03-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But, according to Pop Photography it could even be a Tamron . or Sigma.
You are right on. Long time ago when Mac and PC were dueling for supremacy, I was told select the software and get the hardware that runs it best. Also, back in my Canon days, my sharpest lenses were the Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye and the Tamron 90 macro, circa early 90's. I owned a bunch of Canon L lenses but the sharpest of the bunch were not Canons. I wish there were more 3rd party options for Pentax.
03-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #27
Pentaxian

That Tamron 90 macro might still be our best lens.
03-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That Tamron 90 macro might still be our best lens.
The Canon is long gone. But when it came to a macro for Pentax in that focal range, I opted for the DFA100. It is as sharp as anything I have ever shot... and it is WR. I got a good deal on it so I could not pass it up. Although, I almost pulled the trigger on the Tamron.
03-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
You are right on. Long time ago when Mac and PC were dueling for supremacy, I was told select the software and get the hardware that runs it best. Also, back in my Canon days, my sharpest lenses were the Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye and the Tamron 90 macro, circa early 90's. I owned a bunch of Canon L lenses but the sharpest of the bunch were not Canons. I wish there were more 3rd party options for Pentax.
I think there are still a lot of third-party lens options for Pentax if we don't exclude all of the legacy manual focus lenses, some of which have a very dedicated following here at PF.
03-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Pop always had a soft heart for Pentax, they even posted Pentax timeline..

New Digital Posters Trace the History of Pentax Cameras | Popular Photography
New Digital Posters Trace the History of Pentax Cameras | Popular Photography