Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amateur shooting sons wedding

As the title states, I'm an amateur shooter. My son is getting married in a small service and my wife offered my assistance with the photos. They are on a very tight budget, so nothing available for a real photographer.

A little background:
1) It's a small church wedding and reception afterwards with around 20 people in attendance, there is no wedding party
2) I hope to visit the church and restaurant the day before the wedding, however, not guaranteed
3) Son #2 will act as 2nd photographer and his wife will coordinate the couple for photos
4) I have three cameras available: K-3, K-5iis w/Katzeye and KX film camera
5) I have three af lenses available: DA 20-40mm, Sigma 70mm macro and FA 28-105mm/4-5.6
6) I also have a number of nice manual lenses, including: 30/2.8, M 50/1.7, M 100.2.8, K 200/2.5, and Vivitar 90-180mm/4.5
7) Only on camera flash and PENTAX AF 200FG available

I'm thinking of using the K-5iis with DA 20-40mm as the primary outfit and K-3 with Sigma 70mm as second outfit. Also, thinking I might shoot a roll or two of film in the KX, lens undetermined. I'm also planning on bringing a tripod for use when necessary, like family photos. Does this plan make sense? What would be your suggestions / recommendations?

I really need your help. All comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

03-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The indoor lighting is always a factor to deal with. The 20-40 sounds like a good idea, being that it covers the wider angle and is f/2.8-4 allowing quite a bit of light while having zoom versatility. The K-5IIs and K-3 are nice cameras, so that is well covered. I want to mention a flash just in case you may need it for shots where light may not be enough. The 50 or 70 you mentioned might come in handy also. It looks like you may have the resources you need and the right idea. That is the main thing. Just suggestions. I am sure others will have other opinions/suggestions. Best wishes.
03-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #3

No comment on the equipment. There are a number of articles regarding how to film a wedding. The main points I took away from them are as follows: Take pictures of the bride in her dress, rings, cake, dress, etc the day before if possible. (less stress and commotion) Next, take the picture of the entire group first. Then the Bride and Groom. After that take pictures of parents, siblings etc based upon who has the most pressing duties to be performed after the wedding. (Create a schedule if at all possible the day or two before of what you will photograph. Finally, as you noted, check the lighting in the church. Talk with the pastor or officiator to confirm if flash can be used or not, where cameras can be used, also if he/she will allow photographs of the actual ceremony. Then establish the shooting points in the chapel.

Good luck.
03-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
As the title states, I'm an amateur shooter. My son is getting married in a small service and my wife offered my assistance with the photos. They are on a very tight budget, so nothing available for a real photographer.

A little background:
1) It's a small church wedding and reception afterwards with around 20 people in attendance, there is no wedding party
2) I hope to visit the church and restaurant the day before the wedding, however, not guaranteed
3) Son #2 will act as 2nd photographer and his wife will coordinate the couple for photos
5) I have three af lenses available: DA 20-40mm, Sigma 70mm macro and FA 28-105mm/4-5.6
6) I also have a number of nice manual lenses, including: 30/2.8, M 50/1.7, M 100.2.8, K 200/2.5, and Vivitar 90-180mm/4.5

I'm thinking of using the K-5iis with DA 20-40mm as the primary outfit and K-3 with Sigma 70mm as second outfit. Also, thinking I might shoot a roll or two of film in the KX, lens undetermined. I'm also planning on bringing a tripod for use when necessary, like family photos. Does this plan make sense? What would be your suggestions / recommendations?

I really need your help. All comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
1) Shoot in RAW on the Digital bodies for sure.
2) Push the ISO if you no other choice.
3) Buy, Rent or Borrow some additional flash gear if at all possible - and practice with it. If you can't - see number 2.
4) 20-40 will be good on one camera. I'd put it on the K-3, the K-3 has more high iso noise than the K-5iis so I'd give it the fast lens.
5) 28-105 on the K5iis with flash might just do a great job. See if you can get an optical flash trigger for the AF200FG and use it off camera and play with flash modes to see what you can do.
6) M50 and M100 will be good on the film camera. Maybe the 30 outdoors also. B&W film may be the best choice.
7) Buy a few disposable cameras and lay them out at the reception to get extra shots made by guests.
8) Be sure to have fun yourself. Don't stress too much. You have a lot of hats to wear. Be ready to hand off the cameras to Son#2 when you have to give away the bride etc.
9) The Sigma 70 is a fine choice for portraits also. Use it for the individual or pair type shots when you do the staged shots.

I've only shot 1 wedding and I was undergeared and the only shooter. I did it for a friend with no money and I was young and dumb (over 30 years ago). They were thrilled with having anything which is what made it a success. I shot it with a Nikkormat FT-3 with a Nikkor 50mm f2 and ASA 400 film. Not a lot of flash as I recall. The shots were a success for the most part but decidedly not pro work.

03-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
1) Shoot in RAW on the Digital bodies for sure.
2) Push the ISO if you no other choice.
3) Buy, Rent or Borrow some additional flash gear if at all possible - and practice with it. If you can't - see number 2.
4) 20-40 will be good on one camera. I'd put it on the K-3, the K-3 has more high iso noise than the K-5iis so I'd give it the fast lens.
5) 28-105 on the K5iis with flash might just do a great job. See if you can get an optical flash trigger for the AF200FG and use it off camera and play with flash modes to see what you can do.
6) M50 and M100 will be good on the film camera. Maybe the 30 outdoors also. B&W film may be the best choice.
7) Buy a few disposable cameras and lay them out at the reception to get extra shots made by guests.
8) Be sure to have fun yourself. Don't stress too much. You have a lot of hats to wear. Be ready to hand off the cameras to Son#2 when you have to give away the bride etc.
9) The Sigma 70 is a fine choice for portraits also. Use it for the individual or pair type shots when you do the staged shots.
Forgot to mention I always shoot raw + jpeg, plus I have 5 batteries so I'll be well covered.

The 20-40mm is variable f/2.8-4 while the 70mm is f/2.8, that's why I'm planning on using the 70mm on the K-3. Disposable cameras is a great suggestion, didn't think of that.

---------- Post added 03-17-17 at 07:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kchamber4 Quote
No comment on the equipment. There are a number of articles regarding how to film a wedding. The main points I took away from them are as follows: Take pictures of the bride in her dress, rings, cake, dress, etc the day before if possible. (less stress and commotion) Next, take the picture of the entire group first. Then the Bride and Groom. After that take pictures of parents, siblings etc based upon who has the most pressing duties to be performed after the wedding. (Create a schedule if at all possible the day or two before of what you will photograph. Finally, as you noted, check the lighting in the church. Talk with the pastor or officiator to confirm if flash can be used or not, where cameras can be used, also if he/she will allow photographs of the actual ceremony. Then establish the shooting points in the chapel.

Good luck.
Thanks, good advise. If the lighting is poor and I can't use flash, I might try the 50/1.7 on the 5iis. I'll be close enough and the Katzeye will help nail focus. I hope to experiment the day before.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 03-17-2017 at 04:07 PM.
03-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

1 congrats to you and yours on the wedding

2 I have had good luck in renting cameras and lenses from Lensrental.com which is out of Tennessee I believe

They rent all sorts of pentax equipment

They sell used equipment as well

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-17-2017 at 05:51 PM.
03-17-2017, 04:28 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do yourself a favor and hire a pro on your sons behalf - you will be able to enjoy the day instead of stressing or potentially causing a longtime grudge in the family.

03-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

A little background:

First off, congratulations!

Do you think you could get a friend to do it? Perhaps someone here on the forum? In my opinion you shouldn't have to shoot your son's wedding, it's a lot of work, and you won't be able to focus and have this moment in memory. Unless you really want to of course.
03-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My first advice is to hire someone, or you're not going to enjoy the wedding. But since since you are going to do it you have some good advice already and you have the daughter in law to help arrange the shots - that's big, and it's a small wedding which will really help you out too. I would avoid the manual lenses unless you are really quick with them, because wedding shooting is fast paced. I would get a flash for all of the cameras if you can. I shot a wedding for a friend of my daughter, small wedding in a big church, I got there early as I could, had everything ready, and right before the ceremony started someone turned half the lights off so I had to scramble a little. Your 20-40 may work very well on one body, but I would consider a fast zoom for one of the others too. I've rented from CameraLensRentals.com which is close by in Indiana with good fast service. An alternative to disposable cameras is to ask people to take cell phone photos and send them to you. Whatever you do good luck!
03-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I understand it's not the best situation but hiring someone is just out of the question financially. Also, the wedding is out-of-state so I don't know anyone to ask and the couple doesn't have any photographer friends. It's a small wedding in a small church with dinner afterwards in a local restaurant. They did not plan on pictures but my wife offered my services. I don't intend to make a big production out of it, just looking for some friendly input from the forum. When everyone is home son #2 and I take pictures and we have a lot of fun just being a family. I'm hoping this situation is the same.
03-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've taken lots of pictures at the weddings of 3 nieces/nephews. They all had pro's (one of them was worse than me, though!), so I tried to concentrate on the settings and attendees - before and after.

After you get the obligatory shots (the bride & groom, the wedding party, etc.) take lots of what I will call "ambiance" shots (table settings, the crowd & friends at the reception/dinner, etc., various parties at the table(s), dancing, friends of the couple, etc.). Be as informal as possible! These are the ones that they will all remember, since they show their friends and family in familiar (i.e. non-posed!) situations. Bang away as much as you can, at pre- and post-ceremony activities.
03-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had to do similar. I used 2 camera bodies, different lens on each and swapped cameras when necessary.
Surprisingly 28mm was the focal length used the most. Don't discount the FA 28-105, gives wonderful colors with flash.
If you get a chance test the flash settings before you use it. I had different settings for each camera.
Wear the most comfortable shoes you own
03-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Be as informal as possible! These are the ones that they will all remember, since they show their friends and family in familiar (i.e. non-posed!) situations. Bang away as much as you can, at pre- and post-ceremony activities.
I agree, there will be some great opportunities to get the unposed, candid shots that in the end often mean more than the posed shots, even when they are not technically perfect. Don't worry about getting perfect shots every time, but get lots of shots. Also, I've heard some pros use a slow multiple shot setting, so you have a better chance of getting a shot where no one is blinking, etc. I'd rather have to cull out many shots rather than think "Oh, I wished I'd taken a picture of that!"

Also, consider using the Program Mode, if you feel like too much is going on for you to meter and adjust on the fly.

If possible, check out the places beforehand, get an idea of where you'd like to stand, or have the couple and others stand, for a few posed shots, especially if you think you'll need to add lighting.
Otherwise, be flexible, and relax. Sit in one spot and take in the scene, but don't be afraid to move if necessary. Anticipate the best moments, and wait.
QuoteQuote:
When everyone is home son #2 and I take pictures and we have a lot of fun just being a family. I'm hoping this situation is the same
I hope so too. Best of luck, and congratulations!
03-18-2017, 02:43 AM   #14

A little background:

Don't forget to participate as a father to your son during his wedding...
03-18-2017, 02:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
... so I don't know anyone to ask ...
Pentax forums would be a good place to start... I bet there is someone who would be happy to help out for either a symbolic fee or some good wedding food.