Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Time to make my camera pay itself

Im not a photog, not even at a amatuer level. I partially work as a insurance salesman and also operate a family based garage sale/thrift shop.
I do love cameras, since my first, a Nikkormat FTN. But both jobs are getting kind of tough, and I need to get some extra income.
I was talking with a buddy, he owns a food truck.Nice colorful truck! So I ask him if hes on FB promoting his truck, and he says well I got this page but I really cant update it, no time. So that struck me an idea, how about promoting these guys,? they dont have time for that and I do! Well, I proposed him a deal, promoting his truck on FB, Instagram, Twitter and Web. He likes the idea, and we have a food shootout next week..
So, question is, how much should I charge him for a whole month? We havent discussed pricing yet. Hopefully I would approach other food truckers, its seems its all the rage right now..

03-20-2017, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much time are you going to invest? Both on site and back on the computer? And how much is your time worth?

And to be honest you might get better answers on social media sites or on advertising sites rather than on a photography site. I could give you a reasonable number for the photography based on my experience. But doing the social media part, that is promotion and advertising not photography. And yes I understand you will need to take photos for the gig, but for social media it is the skill in posting, not the actual image that is important.

It sounds like an interesting gig, but also one that I am sure lots of people have already thought of. So search for other people who are offering this service and see what they are charging.
03-20-2017, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know a guy who fills a CD with appropriately sized images for sharing on various social media - he doesn't make a whole lot of cash to do it, but he has grown his business because he has leveraged the businesses he's provided images to help grow his social presence. His speciality is Yoga Studios - similar sort of idea. It's repeat business because as in academia, social media is a "publish or perish" environment.

Pricing and leveraging "social" will be your keys to winning more business. you wont get rich, but you might be able to afford some new baubles to add to your kit.
03-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im not considering going full time, I was budgeting probably 10@15 work hours, not including the photo part.I was browsing some really nice food trucking blogs and thats great, if you get paid for an opinion. Also, its all in the States, but theres hardly any here in PR..
So lets say I just need 2 truck and area pics, 1 owner pic, 1 menu pic(this could be tricky, they dont like to show prices), and probably 3 specialty dish pics, 1 hour work max. What would be the initial bill?