Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2017, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate to be one of the whiners here but I am really getting fed up with the wide angle prime situation. Maybe the best "field" camera(K1) made but no wide angle prime? What could be more ridiculous - oh, how about another 50mm?

Last edited by sibyrnes; 04-11-2017 at 06:42 AM.
04-11-2017, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course they can. Anybody can. They just haven't.

If the rumors are correct they've made 100,000 K-1's by now and they'll make another 150000 before the run ends. How many of those people will buy:
  • 150~450 - 10,000?
  • 70~200 - 10,000?
  • 50/1.4 - 5000?
  • 85/1.4 - 2500?
  • 24/xx - 2500?
You have a catch 22. There are a lot of people who think the K-1 is an awesome camera, but wont buy into they system because the see a lack of modern glass. Ricoh needs to fill out their lens line up to help drive K-1 sales and gain market share. Glass sells bodies and builds systems. The faster they get their core lenses (24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm) on the market the better off they are assuming they can do it without lowering the quality. These lenses should have been on the original development plan when they began the FF development 5+ years ago. Did they just start work on them 2 years ago? If there had been a couple of 645 lenses launched in the past 2 years I could understand why they are running behind, but one D-FA* lens has been produced in the last 2 years. Its and awesome lens, but Ricoh needs to double the size of its R&D department if one lens every 2 years is all they are capable of.

---------- Post added 04-11-17 at 08:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I hate to be one of the whiners here but I am really getting fed up with the wide angle prime situation. Maybe the best "field" camera(K1) made but no wide angle prime? What could be more ridiculous - oh, how about another 50mm?
I know. IF they had the right glass, they would sell a lot more cameras.
04-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Show us the rumour of the 100,000 K-1 made so far

(I know the initial monthly production as reported by Ricoh Imaging was 7,000 units)
I suppose I extrapolated 7,000 x 14 months based on the date of manufacture in my K-1 EXIF, 03/01/2016.
04-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You have a catch 22. There are a lot of people who think the K-1 is an awesome camera, but wont buy into they system because the see a lack of modern glass. Ricoh needs to fill out their lens line up to help drive K-1 sales and gain market share. Glass sells bodies and builds systems. The faster they get their core lenses (24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm) on the market the better off they are assuming they can do it without lowering the quality. These lenses should have been on the original development plan when they began the FF development 5+ years ago. Did they just start work on them 2 years ago? If there had been a couple of 645 lenses launched in the past 2 years I could understand why they are running behind, but one D-FA* lens has been produced in the last 2 years. Its and awesome lens, but Ricoh needs to double the size of its R&D department if one lens every 2 years is all they are capable of.
I completely agree.

04-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I suppose I extrapolated 7,000 x 14 months based on the date of manufacture in my K-1 EXIF, 03/01/2016.
Perhaps you should account for the Kumamoto disaster.
04-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

---------- Post added 04-11-17 at 08:49 AM ----------

I know. IF they had the right glass, they would sell a lot more cameras.
Yes I think you are absolutely correct.

The irony is once Ricoh do this, and increase demand, only then we will see Sigma and other 3rd parties decide to support Pentax more. It is indeed a catch 22 there as well.

It is a stand off and each party is waiting for the other to move before they will react.
04-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is a stand off and each party is waiting for the other to move before they will react.
It is not the customers responsibility. It is the manufacturers responsibility to lead the way with products. Markets are supply driven. Yes they have to listen to the demands of the consumer, but ultimately manufacturers are the ones who have to take action and drive the market.

If Fuji sticks to their plan they will have 6 GFX lenses on the market by the end of the year. That is 6 new medium format lenses in one year. They have 3 that are selling now and will announce 3 more at the end of this month. Fuji is doing a great job of driving the market. I'm temped to buy the glass for the GF50 and wait for the second generation of the camera to come out. The first generation is still a little slow for what I need, but I can see this system being very strong with a more modern sensor. The 16MP of the K-5, 36MP of the D800/810 and K-1 are all part of the same generation of sensor used in the 645z and Fuji GFX. It is an excellent sensor, but the readout speed is to slow for mirrorless. If they used the Sony BSI sensor the speed goes way up and AF performance of mirrorless is heavily based on how many times per second the sensor can check focus.

04-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Two delicious primes could help K-1 to go out faster. 1.4/50 is definitely one of them.
I am a big fan of their '*' designated optics. But given DA*55/f1.4 is still in production and plethora of other 50s in the market for cheap that perform very well (any 50/1.7 for that matter), I honestly think DA*50/f1.4 is a waste of time or at least should have been lower in priority than the 24 or the 85. Call it my personal opinion or whatever.. this is a mistake that can and will hinder the K-1 sales. Especially not having a WA prime when they tout the K-1 for nature photogs.

Last edited by shardulm; 04-11-2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Additional Info added.
04-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
Banned

New Pentax FF lenses are big, heavy and expensive.
Good landscape could be seen from the road, but usually it's not the case.
Anybody tried hiking with 3 of those new lenses on your back for more than a few miles?
With backpack sized as a smaller wardrobe?
Ridiculous.
I have weather sealed full frame Pentax camera made for landscapes and I will stop using it because there is no proper WA lenses.
Instead of that I will use for landscapes some bull*hit camera which is made primarily for 4k video (and I've never shoot a video in my life).
We need compact sized consumer level Pentax WA and TELE zooms to complement DFA28-105.

Last edited by banep; 04-11-2017 at 09:33 AM.
04-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Perhaps you should account for the Kumamoto disaster.
I'm done here.
04-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Too bad; I was quite interested to hear your opinion on that. And I mean it.
04-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Show me where K-1 sales volume is a line item in the Ricoh Annual Report.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Show us the rumour of the 100,000 K-1 made so far

(I know the initial monthly production as reported by Ricoh Imaging was 7,000 units)
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
How many Pentax cameras do we think Ricoh sell in a year? Presumably one could guesstimate K1 sales from that since FF will be a low proportion of the total. 100,000 sounds pretty high for a small outfit, especially since this has occurred in a fairly short space of time. Great if true but it sounds a bit unlikely.

24mm and 35mm primes are the obvious ones, 21mm if they want to be bold and invite comparison with crackers from Zeiss and co. I hope that is what they do want to do. No point in just being me-too.
Production of the K-1 started end of februari 2016. There was interruption of production from may to september. Not complete shut down during those months, but partial. So if production would run for 7.000 units during full production time then no more then 70.000 where made.

Looking at peak sales in the introduction quarter for the K-1 then all other quarter sold far less units. Coming back to my estimation of 50.000 units....
04-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote

Yes my point..how hard to make a 24mm even 2.8 lens .. of course the 24-70 is great,but a bit heavy if one needs other lenses as well with,for trips
just too bad my old Sigma 24 doesn't fit(Oly mount) as great lens in my film days
04-11-2017, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
New Pentax FF lenses are big, heavy and expensive.
Good landscape could be seen from the road, but usually it's not the case.
Anybody tried hiking with 3 of those new lenses on your back for more than a few miles?
With backpack sized as a smaller wardrobe?
Ridiculous.
And yet folks go hiking with much larger 645Zs...and even larger 4×5/8×10 cameras.
04-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
Pentaxian

All I care about is the UWA isn't going to be out by this summer, meaning th K-1 isn't good for UWA because of no lenses and isn't good for telephoto because of the crop factor, which most likely will mean it becomes my first purchased new camera body to be a stay at home duiring my busy season. There's nothing like my Sigma 8-16 for it and nothing Iown would give me the reach of the DA*200 with stacked converters.

I'm still hoping to come up with an old Sigma 12-24 which apparently is FF compatible.