Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,755
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Not to spoil your party, but my guess is that they maybe sold 50.000 K-1 at max. There is no sign of so much sales in the Ricoh financial report.
If you are evaluating 50 000 units as being negative, you may be strongly biased in your evaluation. 50 000 full frame camera units sold per year is very good, if you count $1000 of gross profit per unit for the K1 only, gives $50M of gross profit, well beyond breakeven for a camera. And that's not adding any gross profit from the lenses. I'm not working in camera design, but I can guestimate that making a new camera model out of existing technology IP doesn't more more than $10M, i you consider not effort in Brick & Mortar channels. If that a reasonable assumption ? Any one now realize why Pentax was always considered doomed and strangely is still around ?

In fact, I bet the K1 sold more than the 5DIV, in absolute quantity...

04-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #32
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,541
The earliest K-1 independent samples I know of had a manufacturer date starting of February, and they might not be made with the earliest cameras.
I'm not sure if monochrome's K-1 was made in March or January. Anyway, production started before "end of February".
Production interruption from May to September? Not quite so; only by the end of May did Ricoh Imaging announced "some impact on the future production" - the production indeed recovered in September.
The introduction spike is handled by starting the production early.

Knowing this, and assuming the K-1 production was a steady 7000 units per month, the initial 50,000 units estimation was most likely surpassed in 2016. The revised 70,000 is more reasonable, but also 40% larger

And now it's time to notice how monochrome's point was about low total volumes for the new lenses. Everything else is nitpicking.
04-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #33
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,062
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If you are evaluating 50 000 units as being negative, you may be strongly biased in your evaluation. 50 000 full frame camera units sold per year is very good, if you count $1000 of gross profit per unit for the K1 only, gives $50M of gross profit, well beyond breakeven for a camera. And that's not adding any gross profit from the lenses. (...)
Hold your horses: $1,000 per K-1 is more than the purchase price paid to Ricoh Imaging by the distribution channels and is therefore MUCH more than the gross margin made by Ricoh Imaging on it.

Don't forget that Ricoh Imaging total sales (including Pentax, Theta,...) are around €200m.
04-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #34
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,755
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Don't forget that Ricoh Imaging total sales (including Pentax, Theta,...) are around €200m
Not bad? How many are they?

04-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #35
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's nothing like my Sigma 8-16 for it and nothing Iown would give me the reach of the DA*200 with stacked converters.
I think if you are waiting for something like the Sigma 8-16mm (a compact ulrawide zoom) for the K-1, you will be waiting forever.
Pentax already has the 15-30mm. The next uwa will be a prime, so you will be losing out on the flexibility and of course it wont be as wide as the sigma, nor the pentax zoom.
04-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 340
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
And yet folks go hiking with much larger 645Zs...and even larger 45/810 cameras.
Keywords are: "more than a few miles". At the end of April I'm going for a mountain track of 60 miles in a 3 days. Any volunteer with 645z and a couple of lenses to join me there?
04-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #37
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,436
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think if you are waiting for something like the Sigma 8-16mm (a compact ulrawide zoom) for the K-1, you will be waiting forever.
Pentax already has the 15-30mm. The next uwa will be a prime, so you will be losing out on the flexibility and of course it wont be as wide as the sigma, nor the pentax zoom.
I'm in complete agreement with you there. I'm not holding my breath. The Sigma 12-24 is a much more likely solution if I can find one. That being said, a 20 or 21mm wide angle would be fine. It doesn't have to be as wide as the 8-16, but I'd really like the equivalent of 12, which is probably my favourite FL of the 8-16. So 18 would be ideal. 20 or 21 would be an acceptable compromise.

Since I have the 28-105, 24 just wouldn't be enough different.
04-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #38
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Keywords are: "more than a few miles". At the end of April I'm going for a mountain track of 60 miles in a 3 days. Any volunteer with 645z and a couple of lenses to join me there?
I surely would do it if i had the money for a 645z.
If weight is your primary concern than i would suggest APS-C or olympus, both of which have pixel shift.
But to suggest that the K-1 + the f2.8 zooms is too heavy for hiking long distances is overgeneralizing...for some it may be, and that is the reason for smaller systems. For others it is not and there are thousands of examples on flickr that show that.

04-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #39
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If you are evaluating 50 000 units as being negative, you may be strongly biased in your evaluation.

In fact, I bet the K1 sold more than the 5DIV, in absolute quantity...
No emotions attached to the numbers.

I don't think K-1 outsold the 5DIV.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Don't forget that Ricoh Imaging total sales (including Pentax, Theta,...) are around 200m.
Including all lenses, Q, GR, WG-SERIES and aps-c..........I don't see how 100k units K-1 and lenses fit in that sales number.
04-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #40
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm in complete agreement with you there. I'm not holding my breath. The Sigma 12-24 is a much more likely solution if I can find one. That being said, a 20 or 21mm wide angle would be fine. It doesn't have to be as wide as the 8-16, but I'd really like the equivalent of 12, which is probably my favourite FL of the 8-16. So 18 would be ideal. 20 or 21 would be an acceptable compromise.

Since I have the 28-105, 24 just wouldn't be enough different.
Preaching to the choir.
I bought a KP to go with my 300mm. But I had to re-buy a sigma 8-16mm to go along with it. Sigma hit a homerun with that lens.
04-12-2017, 02:41 AM   #41
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,481
There is no point in asking the forums about news. When there is news we will be falling over each other to post it here. Meanwhile look at the roadmap and speculate about the focal lengths 35 1.4 seams pretty clear. The ultra wide angle hints to be wider than 24, maybe 20 or even 18. Then the fisheye zoom. That could be something like the Canon 8-15 F4.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, angle, development, glass, k-1, lens, lenses, lot, news on wa, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, ricoh, wa
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma bad news, Pentax good news HippyHippo Pentax News and Rumors 189 01-24-2017 06:56 PM
*RUMORS, careful!*Good news and bad news (K5 going, something else coming) masloff Pentax News and Rumors 252 01-07-2012 12:20 PM
Any news on Built-in GPS on any of Pentax's Cameras nstocke Pentax News and Rumors 13 04-25-2010 03:41 AM
Any news on the new DA★ primes? mattdm Pentax News and Rumors 91 09-05-2008 06:26 PM
Great news, bad news, great news! Marc Langille Photographic Technique 49 03-01-2008 08:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top