Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2017, 06:00 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Yosemite - Pre Ansel Adams

Being from California, I have also been interested in its history.
Here is a vid about Carleton Watkins who photographed Yosemite in the mid 1800s.
The detail in his shots are amazing!

https://timeline.com/carleton-watkins-yosemite-national-park-photography-env...y-f3af50acd509

04-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like his work in Yosemite but his photographs taken of the hydraulic mining that caused such destruction in the California Sierras are simply stunning. The destruction he photographed (actually while doing some work for one of the mines involved in the hydraulic mining) played a large role in the government finally outlawing the practice.

If I recall, a lot of his work was destroyed in the 06 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire.
04-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I like his work in Yosemite but his photographs taken of the hydraulic mining that caused such destruction in the California Sierras are simply stunning. The destruction he photographed (actually while doing some work for one of the mines involved in the hydraulic mining) played a large role in the government finally outlawing the practice.

If I recall, a lot of his work was destroyed in the 06 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire.
Thanks for that info, I didn't realize that bit regarding hydraulic mining.

Yes, you are correct regarding his negatives being destroyed in the SF fire.
04-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting. I might complain about hauling a backpack around, this guy hauls two tons of equipment into the wilderness. Of course, he did have mules.

04-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.
04-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes. Very interesting, indeed. There are some views of the Half Dome taken from different vantage points to those normally shown.

It's a minor point, but the overlay text on the video says he took 2,000 pounds of equipment, whereas the accompanying text in the article says it was two tons. Either way, it sounds like he took a complete studio with him.