Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2017, 04:40 PM - 4 Likes   #46
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's another possiblity.
I know this is pretty far fetched but, much to the dismay of a very small but loud minority here, Ricoh/Pentax might be doing just fine and be around for years to come.

04-28-2017, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This just in................

It's now several hours into the 29th in Japan.
I checked my camera bag and, much to my surprise, my K-5iis was still there and still worked.
It hadn't burst into flames, vaporized, or disassembled itself.
Quick... check your lenses... are the apertures half open or half closed?
04-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #48
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There's another possiblity.
I know this is pretty far fetched but, much to the dismay of a very small but loud minority here, Ricoh/Pentax might be doing just fine and be around for years to come.
Yes that is very possible. Japan is different then Europe, so no idea how they work. In Europe the management would be changed to start a new route leading to profit. A restructure could reach that goal, since it is the money from investors.
04-29-2017, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

There's got to be a special plane of Dante's underworld reserved for trolls who don't understand financials.

All the camera companies would love to increase sales in this declining market like Ricoh has.

Sony sold ten percent less cameras than the last financial year, for example.

Last edited by clackers; 04-29-2017 at 06:56 AM.
04-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dudes, are you inhaling?

That was Contax, not Pentax. And it was 2006, not 2016.

Get your story straight.
04-29-2017, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Tomorrow will be the 28th, we will know if Pentax is sold to a Chinese company (from what I've read from Ron, 28th is when Ricoh imaging publish financial results).
Please explain to me why I should care about this.

When I was a child, my Dad would go to a store labeled "Allied Radio" when he needed small electronics parts; if the store didn't have what he needed, he would mail a check to Chicago IL, and a brown truck would eventually deliver the parts to him. I still remember when the signage all changed to "Allied Radio Shack" because a company called Tandy, located in Dallas TX, had purchased the chain. The signage changed, and now my Dad sent the checks to Texas instead of to next-door Illinois, but overall there was no effect on him except the brown trucks took a few days longer. Once we were all used to the change in ownership, the signage simplfied to "Radio Shack", with no real effect on us. Now I hear that Tandy is in bankruptcy for the second time. I guess I will miss Radio Shack, but there is a reason they have trouble staying solvent - my Dad, who died four years ago at age 93, hadn't been there in years {as far as I know}, and I've been there once since he died.

If Lenova, or Samsung, or anyone purchases Pentax, it will be because they want to own the brand Pentax. They may design the cameras&lenses in a different country and they may manufacture cameras&lenses in a different country - everything I purchase may have to be shipped across the Pacific {no change there}. The men who answer Adam's questions will be from East Asia and speak a language I don't understand {no change there}.

04-29-2017, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They're just making $#% up. They don't know anything. It's annoying as --. Ignore it.

04-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If Lenova, or Samsung, or anyone purchases Pentax, it will be because they want to own the brand Pentax. They may design the cameras&lenses in a different country and they may manufacture cameras&lenses in a different country - everything I purchase may have to be shipped across the Pacific {no change there}. The men who answer Adam's questions will be from East Asia and speak a language I don't understand {no change there}.

You shouldn't. Things don't go different. The question is why people would scream if things would change. Somehow people do think that their Pentax is their identity.
04-29-2017, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You shouldn't. Things don't go different. The question is why people would scream if things would change. Somehow people do think that their Pentax is their identity.
You and biz-engineer obsess over these things.
This FUD from those of you in the Chicken-Little Brigade gets really old.
04-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Tomorrow will be the 28th
No, it was yesterday!
04-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #56
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A better question is why you revere the financial reports like they're tablets handed down from the mount and gleefully bombard us with your spin on why they they're a harbinger of doom for Pentax.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-29-2017 at 11:51 AM.
04-29-2017, 12:27 PM   #57
Banned

Well I have no idea why we shouldn't look at the financial report about the brand this forum is about. It's not about speaking doom, since that is done by a few other members. I just make an analyses on what I read. The camera business has a hard time. For Pentax, that is the same. Pentax doesn't meet Ricoh's expectations (last year sales where 85 % of their forecast) and makes a loss (mostly due to the impairment ). If people don't want to know that is fine with me. I think it is strange that people would like to not see such analyses anymore. I don't see why people get personally offended by reading about a 0,1 % decrease in overseas sales.......that is 163.800 USD (peanuts).
04-29-2017, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Well I have no idea why we shouldn't look at the financial report about the brand this forum is about. It's not about speaking doom, since that is done by a few other members. I just make an analyses on what I read. The camera business has a hard time. For Pentax, that is the same. Pentax doesn't meet Ricoh's expectations (last year sales where 85 % of their forecast) and makes a loss (mostly due to the impairment ). If people don't want to know that is fine with me. I think it is strange that people would like to not see such analyses anymore. I don't see why people get personally offended by reading about a 0,1 % decrease in overseas sales.......that is 163.800 USD (peanuts).
What you do is to look for a dark cloud around every silver lining. That gets old.

You and biz-engineer obsess over these things.
This FUD from those of you in the Chicken-Little Brigade gets really old.
04-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They're just making $#% up. They don't know anything. It's annoying as --. Ignore it.
Well, the results were published and nothing happened. This thread can be closed.
04-29-2017, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #60
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the results were published and nothing happened. This thread can be closed.
Good idea.
Closed Thread