Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
JST = Japan Standard Time

04-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #17

Well it's 15:38 or so Tokyo time and nothing has been posted.

Pentax is Doooomed....

Edit:
Here we go:

https://www.ricoh.com/release/2017/0428_1.html

Hmmm previous predicted vs actual

Net Income Attributed to Ricoh Imaging, LTD April 11 forecast vs Actual in Millions of Yen

Forecast (A): 2000
Current (B): 3489
Increase/Decrease (B-A): 1489
%Increase: 74

Pentax is Doooomed....

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-27-2017 at 11:51 PM.
04-27-2017, 11:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of red ink, but note that they specifically mention camera sales as increasing (as part of "Other" on p6), so I doubt they'll be looking to hive it off any time soon, at least not because it's a failing arm of the business.
04-28-2017, 12:22 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Tomorrow will be the 28th, we will know if Pentax is sold to a Chinese company (from what I've read from Ron, 28th is when Ricoh imaging publish financial results).

Yeah, thanks to Ron's explicit financial knowledge and analisys Pentax will be bought by Hendriks Imaging ASAP

04-28-2017, 12:31 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like last quarter, the division Pentax is part of is actually making money. Canon and Ricoh are losing on their core photocopy/printer businesses.

04-28-2017, 01:42 AM   #21
Banned

Well let's put something inhere.

Ricoh as a total isn't doing so well. Their profit plummitted and the forecast is that their investers will see less dividend in the coming year, just started on april 1th. Not for the past fiscal year, but Ricoh paid the promissed dividend, but actually that was more then healthy for the business to spend so much money on it.

The camera business decreased in sales in yen for as far as I can see. They made an impairment of 9,4 billion yen, leading to a loss of the total group "others" where Ricoh Imaging is part of.

The sales in the last quarter where dramatic. Only 18,5 % of the year sales in camera's where made in the final quarter running from januari 1th to march 31th.

They lost sales in the America's and Asia (not Japan), but had significant growth in sales in Europe.

To put the impairment in perspective. It is big, compared to 62,6 % of the total year sales of camera's outside Japan in a full year. Since that is maybe half of the total sales including Japan, then it comes close to 1/3th of year sales to write-off. Looking at it even further. This would come close to a 5 to 6 % write-off on all sales made by Ricoh-Imaging since the ownership of Ricoh. So that means that the camera division is now officially a money losing business since they never made so much profit since november 2011!

No announcement on any future development. So that will probably come in another time frame. This could also mean putting the camera business tight to the mothercompany.
04-28-2017, 03:52 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Forecast (A): 2000
Current (B): 3489
Increase/Decrease (B-A): 1489
%Increase: 74
How many K-1's and Thetas is that?

04-28-2017, 05:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

So, I didn't sleep through the end of the world.

You guys really need to find another gig.
04-28-2017, 05:33 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Ricoh as a total isn't doing so well. Their profit plummitted and the forecast is that their investers will see less dividend in the coming year, just started on april 1th. Not for the past fiscal year, but Ricoh paid the promissed dividend, but actually that was more then healthy for the business to spend so much money on it.

The camera business decreased in sales in yen for as far as I can see. They made an impairment of 9,4 billion yen, leading to a loss of the total group "others" where Ricoh Imaging is part of.

The sales in the last quarter where dramatic. Only 18,5 % of the year sales in camera's where made in the final quarter running from januari 1th to march 31th.

They lost sales in the America's and Asia (not Japan), but had significant growth in sales in Europe.

To put the impairment in perspective. It is big, compared to 62,6 % of the total year sales of camera's outside Japan in a full year. Since that is maybe half of the total sales including Japan, then it comes close to 1/3th of year sales to write-off. Looking at it even further. This would come close to a 5 to 6 % write-off on all sales made by Ricoh-Imaging since the ownership of Ricoh. So that means that the camera division is now officially a money losing business since they never made so much profit since november 2011!

No announcement on any future development. So that will probably come in another time frame. This could also mean putting the camera business tight to the mothercompany.
Be sure and tell your K-01 a different bed time story tonight. I hope all its other family members were adopted by good homes and have gone on to live productive lives in an appreciative environment.
04-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm currently finalizing my plans to purchase Pentax, the brand, for two well used mules and a shotgun.

My first move will be to get rid of all this junk that they are releasing and launch a new, fully manual, 6 megapixel, full frame, video -free camera, the K-1000 MK II. I think that should take care of new releases for the first ten years of my owner ship of the brand.
04-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

The usual negativism.
The camera business decreased in sales in yen for as far as I can see.
Where did you see that?
04-28-2017, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Look Pentax is winning awards (Big awards) with their camera Designs.

The KP = TIPA's BEST APS-C DSLR EXPERT

THe K-1 = TIPA AWARDS 2016 Best Full-Frame DSLR Expert: Pentax K-1

The K-3 was voted TIPA's 'Best DSLR Expert' 2014

So the company is winning awards and selling camera's, but no one is talking about that. I searched the threads, almost no comments on them, but when we get one about the fate of Pentax is like being in the roman coliseum watchint the gladiators battle it out....

SO here we are, discussing the doom and gloom of Pentax because some folks saw a forecast or some numbers that were dropping and are getting scared and crying out that sky is falling..... Let me tell you, I work in Oil and Gas in Texas, I have lived through this stuff, and what I can tell you is that it ain't over til its over and its one HECKUVA ride to getting there.

BP, Chevron, Exxon, Murphy, Mobile, P66 all hemorrhaging money in the subsea divisions while other divisions of the same company flourished. They lasted about 2-3 years then layoffs. Did the close up the subsea business? No and in-fact its starting back up again smaller, leaner, less top heavy, and more efficient than before. Which is most likely what will happen to Ricoh.

So why don't we remain seated, ensure our safety restraints are fastened, and keep our arms and legs inside the car at all times until the ride comes to a full and complete stop, and just quit with the DOOM and GLOOM. Go take some freaking pictures and enjoy life.....

I need a drink.
04-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Where did you see that?
It's in the figures. To me it looks like a flat sales year on year, but it is marginal lower in yen (-0,1%) due to the exchange for the yen to dollar and euro.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 04-28-2017 at 07:02 AM.
04-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Where exactly "in the figures"? Please be more specific.
04-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Where exactly "in the figures"? Please be more specific.
Page 31. But it's also in the sentence you quoted about the increase of sales overseas, ending with the part over yen (wich you left out). So if they reported in dollar there would be growth, but in yen it is a tiny decrease. Not that important.
Closed Thread