Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2017, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PetaPixel: A Photo Contest Owner Won His Own Contest, and Pitchforks Came Out

"Well-known photographer and photo industry figure Sal Cincotta is finding himself at the center of a heated online debate after a number of his photos were selected as winners of the ShutterFest photo conference’s Image Competition. Cincotta is the owner of ShutterFest.

In addition to being selected as the Grand Prize winner, Cincotta’s photos won 1st place in 5 of the 16 categories, 2nd place in 4 categories, and 3rd place in 2 categories."

A Photo Contest Owner Won His Own Contest, and Pitchforks Came Out

And here's another goody:

Shutter Magazine's Crumbling Chinese Wall Between Editorial and Advertising

"For the fee of $2,000, Shutter Magazine was prepared to endorse Triggertrap's Flash Adapter as a monthly 'Editor's Pick', which would include a full page editorial review of the product, a hi-res image of it, and a video review hosted by Sal Cincotta, Shutter Magazine's publisher. I've taken a very close look at Shutter Magazine and nowhere do I see any previous 'Editor's Picks' labelled as advertisements or paid-for content. Furthermore, it was the publication's Advertising Sales person who made the approach, not the editor requesting a product for review."

Shutter Magazine's crumbled Chinese wall between editorial and advertising ? Photocritic Photo School

It's stories like this that make me wish that there was some sort of accreditation and licensing system for pro photgraphers so that shady behavior like this is addressed.

04-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
Forum Member

Wow, talk about in you face... something. Self nepotism? Auto nepotism? I'm not sure what you'd call that.
I'm pretty sure magazines have been taking money for "reviews" for a very long time though...
04-29-2017, 01:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He posted a long and reasonable review of the judging process, and had many supporters.

It is common procedure, however, that "employees and family" etc., of companies holding contests are ineligible, so there is that. (And I was the contest administrator at my former work who gave away 35 x $350 prizes.)

However, a few years back a moderator here won a lens giveaway.
04-29-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
He posted a long and reasonable review of the judging process, and had many supporters.

It is common procedure, however, that "employees and family" etc., of companies holding contests are ineligible, so there is that. (And I was the contest administrator at my former work who gave away 35 x $350 prizes.)

I read his post and I agree that it is reasonable. I still think it was stupid of him to do that. He says the judges were unaware that the pictures selected were his, which is probably true. The problem is there's no way to prove this, hence no way for him to shield himself from accusations of impropriety. If you exist in the public eye and you want to publicly make a rational, well thought out decision that sounds terrible on the surface, you probably shouldn't do it, or you should at least explain what you're gonna do before doing it. At least make an attempt to control the narrative before the media and the public do it first.. Guarantee 10x more people read the scandalous headline than read the lengthy explanation.

04-29-2017, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

It was inappropriate for him to compete in the first place-- contests should be a way to give back to the organization's supporters, not line the pockets of the organization's leaders. It's a serious conflict of interest, and even if they take steps to avoid that, it's still incredibly tacky.

---------- Post added 04-29-17 at 09:08 AM ----------

See, that I don't have a problem with-- from what I understand, being a moderator here is a volunteer position.
05-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That second article about the Triggertrap reminded me of an occurance when I was writing for various computer magazines some 25 - 30 years ago. An editor called me up me and told me he had sent me a database program ans wanted me to take a look at it and get back to him with my thoughts on doing a review of said program. I got the program and took a look and called the editor back a couple of days later.

I told him that in my opinion the SW was a P.O.S. and a review would be a waste of an article and both of our time. He agreed and told me that's what he told the developer and the advertising sales guy before he sent me the program to evaluate. He also informed me that said developer told the sales guy that he'd place a full page full color ad in the magazine next to the review.

I told my editor that if he wanted me to review it it was not going to be a puff piece and would likely be an unfavorable review and I would call out the program on it's flaws like I do any other program. He said fine, I know your reviews are fair and honest and not designed to sell ad space.

Long story short i wrote the piece, the developer hated it pulled his ad and demanded to write a rebuttle to my review. My editor told him flat out "No" we don't operate like that. Hell teh magazine didn't even have a letters to the editor section.

A month or so later I read a glowing review of the same database program in PC World, right next to the review was a full page full color ad for the same program. I've never trusted PC World or it's reviews ever since.
05-10-2017, 04:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
Wow, talk about in you face... something. Self nepotism? Auto nepotism? I'm not sure what you'd call that.
I'm pretty sure magazines have been taking money for "reviews" for a very long time though...
You can't be serious take money for endorsements

I can recall a camera review years ago with Sony, Nikon, Olympus canon and Pentax cameras.

The Sony placed below Pentax in every individual category, but overall was judged the number 1 camera, when if you graded the results of each specific test it should have been dead last.

On another occasion, I think it was shutterbug ran a long article about lens comparability and Adaptors, largely centered on canon who have abandoned their mount not once but twice with no real upgrade option save a few (given to pro's) custom made and extremely rare teleconverters that had mount conversion included.

They did not say a single word about Pentax, where if you can even approximately stick the lens on the camera you can not only take a picture, but you can meter the exposure as well.

I sent a scathing email to the editor, and it actually got published. Of course they never did run an article to really review compatibility of Pentax with legacy lenses
05-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
If you are referring to me... I did win a lens (50mm F1.8) on quite a random basis, back in March 2014.

But with Adams prior permission, I did host a wee fun photo competition giving away the said lens.

Win a Pentax 50mm: "Kerrowdown Giveaway" - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-10-2017 at 02:46 PM.
05-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If you are referring to me... I did win a lens (50mm F1.8) on quite a random basis, back in March 2014.

But with Adams prior permission, I did host a wee fun photo competition giving away the said lens.

Win a Pentax 50mm: "Kerrowdown Giveaway" - PentaxForums.com
Could have been but it did not bother me personally.