Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Pentax adds, and always have. However at this point, without seeing a few follow up ads I'm not getting too excited. There's just too much chance it's a one off and follow up will be lacking. Now if I saw one every month for like 4 months (you can't pick up a magazine without seeing Canon, Nikon and Sony ads) , I might think they were up to something.
Given that this is after the initial round of ads in Outdoor Photographer and Pop Photo, this does qualify as a follow up.

As for Sony, Canon and Nikon, there were no ads for any of those brands in this issue.

06-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Given that this is after the initial round of ads in Outdoor Photographer and Pop Photo, this does qualify as a follow up.

As for Sony, Canon and Nikon, there were no ads for any of those brands in this issue.
I might have to run out and get that issue, just to be able to prove it happened once.

I mean what's with that? Are they actually feeling the DSLR crunch that badly?

Are there ads for cell phones with good cameras?

I have never seen a photo magazine without ads from any of the major players. Is this a new thing?
06-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
That's good to know. I wonder though if many people read print magazines these days...
I don't know about numbers, but enough people must buy the magazine to keep it in business. Myself, I am an avid reader, mostly from my Kindle now days. I still make trips to the library to read the magazines there. The only ones I subscribe to are motorcycle or sidecar related.
06-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I might have to run out and get that issue, just to be able to prove it happened once.

I mean what's with that? Are they actually feeling the DSLR crunch that badly?

Are there ads for cell phones with good cameras?

I have never seen a photo magazine without ads from any of the major players. Is this a new thing?
its called "Revenge of the Underdogs"..might as well buy me some Twix and popcorn,sit back and enjoy..

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 10:36 AM ----------

You will love the mag issue , Norm..its all about your type of photo style!

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 10:40 AM ----------

Omg, wow..did you see that iceberg pic shot with the Pentax *ist DS and and the Continental Optics 28??
outstanding...

06-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That's good to know. I wonder though if many people read print magazines these days...
My doctors' offices have them and I read them when I am waiting.

Steve
06-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I thought Pop Photo was no longer with us as of March 2017. Has there been a miracle?

Steve
06-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When was the last time anyone say a pentax a in print? Or anywhere?
Oddly, I've see one quite frequently, just not in an ad for Pentax. It's an ad for a tripod and, although not prominent, the camera on the tripod is clearly a Pentax 645.

06-25-2017, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Zinio for free reading of magazines

Thanks for the notice.
The easiest way to read magazines, for free, is to see if your public library subscribes to the Zinio service. This let you download current (and past) editions of full length magazines into your mobile device and read them via the Zinio app. You will also be notified of the latest issues automatically. I read about 10 magazines and journals (including Aperture) regularly on my iPad this way.

M
06-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I do...so there's one. It is true though there are less people buying/reading print magazines.

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 02:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought Pop Photo was no longer with us as of March 2017. Has there been a miracle?

Steve
You are right. Popular Photography is no more. Last issue was the March/ April 2017 edition. Almost made it to 80 years published....it missed by one month.

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 02:10 PM ----------

My doctors' offices have them and I read them when I am waiting.

Steve
I take my own reading material to the doctors' office. I think sick people (me too) go to the office of the MD. As a result, I'm not reading 10 year old copies of National Geographic at the doc's office, any more. I've got enough illness to handle.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-25-2017 at 12:11 PM.
06-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Steve
Pop Photo is gone, it was for an ad campaign right when the K-1 came out.
06-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I take my own reading material to the doctors' office. I think sick people (me too) go to the office of the MD. As a result, I'm not reading 10 year old copies of National Geographic at the doc's office, any more. I've got enough illness to handle.
Good point. I should have qualified that it is my orthopedic surgeons who have the photo magazines. They also have ski magazines and all are recent. They are a good guys and most of the clientele are very healthy except for their joints and limbs. (My docs are team physicians for the local clubs and most of the patients are fairly active at sport...even me.)

Steve

(...those docs are my friends...new left knee from one and new right shoulder from the other...I set off metal detectors...)
06-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #27
mee
Veteran Member

And the only ad I want to see right now is the ad for the under $800 ƒ4-5.6 18-35.
I'm pretty certain we're not getting an updated 18-35mm D-FA, but that is the single most desired lens for me. The Nikon's rendition is rather sharp, compact, light, and accepts 77mm filters. Perfect for travel or day hikes. It doesn't offer IS but with our Pentax bodies that wouldn't be an issue.
06-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I picked one up a year or so ago. The last one i actually bought was maybe 3 or 4 years ago. 5 years ago my step mother gave me a subscription to a Canadian photo magazine. Th last few times I've looked on the magazine racks in Walmart and the drugstore, I couldn't even find any photo magazines.
Similar experience. About that same time I had a subscription to Digital Photography magazine (I think), but it expired and I found that a lot of it was ads and the rest I could find on line, so I did not renew it. I cannot find many photography magazines at grocery stores either, and that is different compared to about 5 years ago.
06-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Ricoh has been advertising in Photographer's Forum – Magazine for the Emerging Professional for a year or more and they are even advertising on the website.

They have also been advertising in Home | Professional Photographer Magazine (print edition) and have been for a while.

These are the only two I currently subscribe to, but there might be others that I just never see. Its a definite improvement.
06-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Back cover of Outdoor Photographer, July 2017.

Nice promotion of the brand. Also a couple of Pentax photos inside.
I got a year's subscription for $2 and this was the first issue that came!