Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Professional photography for wedding

Have any of you done professional photography at a wedding? I've done graduations and parties but nothing this "fancy". How do you go about dressing for an occasion like this? Do photographers need to dress up? THNX

08-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is really up to you. I have done shooting at for example a ceremony. I wore dress pants, shirt, hard shoes (leather, hard soles), and a tie. When I got there, it seemed like most of the family and ceremony participants were dressed to a similar formal level. You might feel a little bit more comfortable dressing the way I mentioned if it is to be a formal ceremony, and if it is going to be casual you may want to just go that route. Really though, as long as you are dressed in something that is casual or formal that looks nice you should be alright, but if the people that are hosting it seem to be stressing that it is a formal ceremony, just where a shirt, tie, dress pants, and dress shoes to avoid any unnecessary confusion.
08-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've only shot one wedding, and it was only moderately formal, but I got the impression that when people see you lugging around multiple cameras and a bag full of gear, you get a pass. I wore sneakers, jeans and a tank top.
08-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As far as the "Wedding dress code" goes, I'd ask the people getting married what the dress code/proper wedding attire is for their wedding is for guests and go with that, because it'll be different from couple to couple.

08-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Formal, but comfortable. Without guidance from the couple I'd presume black or grey dress pants or slacks, comfortable but dressy shoes, and a white, black, or neutral dress shirt with or without a tie, vest, and jacket. Basically you want to look professional, dressed for the occasion, and not stand out. Take cues from the dress code of the wedding, but remember that you're working not attending so don't go too casual.
08-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I always dress well for a wedding. Tie or bow tie, dress shirt, dress pants and dress shoes.
At a friends wedding where I was also a guest I wore a full suit.
Of course this is also a marketing strategy for me. When guests see you dressed well with your camera they start asking questions for future jobs.

Culture.
08-16-2017, 12:20 PM - 3 Likes   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Full kilt kit... nothing smarter.

08-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
After some thought, I think I'd feel a little more comfy wearing something formal. Maybe a comfy-formal duo LOL.
THNX for your input I appreciate it !

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
It is really up to you. I have done shooting at for example a ceremony. I wore dress pants, shirt, hard shoes (leather, hard soles), and a tie. When I got there, it seemed like most of the family and ceremony participants were dressed to a similar formal level. You might feel a little bit more comfortable dressing the way I mentioned if it is to be a formal ceremony, and if it is going to be casual you may want to just go that route. Really though, as long as you are dressed in something that is casual or formal that looks nice you should be alright, but if the people that are hosting it seem to be stressing that it is a formal ceremony, just where a shirt, tie, dress pants, and dress shoes to avoid any unnecessary confusion.

---------- Post added 08-16-17 at 05:08 PM ----------

Love this!! Made up my mind; definitely gonna dress up for the wedding. IDK, I've been to weddings where the photographer didn't dress up and I always felt a little weird. I'd much rather fit in with the crowds, ya know?? Makes more sense to me that way

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I always dress well for a wedding. Tie or bow tie, dress shirt, dress pants and dress shoes.
At a friends wedding where I was also a guest I wore a full suit.
Of course this is also a marketing strategy for me. When guests see you dressed well with your camera they start asking questions for future jobs.

Culture.

---------- Post added 08-16-17 at 05:10 PM ----------

THNX so much for all your info, advice, opinion, etc.
decided to go with something a little more formal.
Found this site: Men's Wearhouse Coupons & Promo Codes | Men's Wearhouse
Which would help since I'm a baller on a budget LOL
Really appreciate all the input
08-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Afterthought: My daughter was married last month full-outdoor. I wore a charcoal gray suit, white shirt, nice tie and formal tassel loafers. Guests wore slacks and blazer or a less formal summer suit; women (generally) wore a dress or skirt.

Our 2 togs (woman lead / man 2nd) wore black slacks, black hard soled shoes and a white shirt with ties.

To open my wedding speech I invited men to remove their coats and ties and enjoy the party. The photographers did likewise and ditched their ties.