Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On Thursday I went to my local camera shop. No, he’s not a Pentax dealer, but the owner shoots a 645n and a Pentax 6x7. I’ve purchased bags, tripods, film and chemicals from him because he’s local and price competitive.

Since he sells used equipment and has all film bodies CLA’d before putting them on the shelf, I wanted to ask him who sid that for him. He turned me onto a local man whose been in business repairing cameras since 1977. John now has my LX and MG and he expects them to be ready beginning of the week.

I buy a lot online, Amazon, B&H and Adorama. But none of them could provide me with that kind of help. Which is why I’ve always tried to keep a good face to face relationship with my local businesses.

On another note, he has a Pentax 645 film camera he rents. I just need to figure out what lens I want.

11-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
On another note, he has a Pentax 645 film camera he rents. I just need to figure out what lens I want.
Yep that's another good point about local b&m camera stores. There is one in downtown Vancouver that has a huge stock of rental gear, including the 645Z, 67ii & many Pentax lenses, some of which are no longer produced. A perfect way to try out gear and see if you like it.

Phil.
11-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somewhat ironically, I like local camera stores mostly for film development. It's great to be able to look at the cameras (both new and old (film), display only models), but the biggest thing for me is that I can get film processed without having to mail it out, which is quite a charge on top of actually developing the film.

Of course, of the two stores I frequent, neither has any Pentax equipment to speak of, unless you count some old overpriced film models. (Not that I haven't bought a few). Nikon and Olympus seem to be the brands pushed the hardest.
12-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just came upon this thread, and have to say that I don't know that I've ever been in a brick-and-mortar camera store. I got my first DSLR in 2012, and I live in Southern Maryland. There appear to be a number of camera shops in DC and Baltimore, but by Google Maps the closest one to me appears to be 80 miles and an hour and 45 minutes away from where I'm sitting at work right now.

That's just not an option. I'm probably in downtown DC (or Baltimore) a couple times a year, and usually for another purpose like work or going to a sporting event, with others. I understand the value of being able to see and touch and try out equipment before buying. But a 160-mile round trip to a store that might not even stock Pentax, squeezed into a schedule that's already packed with work and kids and everything else isn't very realistic.

My situation isn't everyone's, but if you don't live in close proximity to a fairly large population choosing a good local shop over online isn't a choice. It's just reality.