Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Another example why camera stores are dying

While searching for something else, I stumbled across a new-to-me local camera store. They surprisingly carry Pentax and are an authorized dealer.

Their only Pentax body in stock is the 645D for $9999. That's launch price for a 7 year old camera. Their website doesn't even allow ordering of any other Pentax bodies.

10-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And they are an authorized dealer?
10-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
And they are an authorized dealer?
Yes, confirmed on the Ricoh dealer locator.
10-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to know what Ricoh Imaging in the USA thinks of that. Hardly good for the brand (nor indeed the dealer's sales prospects)...

10-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve been into a few Pentax authorized stores and have asked why their stock is so poor. They’ve said they have never seen a Pentax rep visit their store. Pentax, and now Ricoh, do not market well. In fact, they don’t really market at all, however; they make great cameras and lenses.
10-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Several years ago a very reputable independent camera store (Mifsuds, Brixham, Devon) in the UK was advertising Canikon and then added Pentax (saying they were an Authorised dealer) - and then, less than a year (probably a lot less) they dropped any mention of Pentax, apart from used equipment sales!

Ricoh in Europe also just does NOT support it's dealers properly (thank goodness that some of the larger independents that sell Pentax can also rely on non-Pentax sales and so are doing - relatively! - well)!.
10-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Ricoh in Europe also just does NOT support it's dealers properly
And yet, you'd hear very differently from the likes of SRS and Wex... even somewhat smaller suppliers like Bristol Cameras. I've bought from all three of these quite regularly over recent years, and they seem to have rather excellent support from Ricoh / Pentax...

10-11-2017, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Mike

In that aspect I agree with you - I probably should have said "..it's newer and smaller dealers.....". I have bought from SRS and UK Camera Centre in Cardiff over the years with no problems. OTOH, I don't think that Ricoh does anywhere near enough to attract and keep those smaller companies.
10-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Mike

In that aspect I agree with you - I probably should have said "..it's newer and smaller dealers.....". I have bought from SRS and UK Camera Centre in Cardiff over the years with no problems. OTOH, I don't think that Ricoh does anywhere near enough to attract and keep those smaller companies.
And I'd certainly agree with you on that point I suspect Ricoh Imaging in Europe has become "comfortable" with its established UK suppliers, and comfort often leads to complacency...
10-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

The Ricoh list of authorized dealers is out of date. They list a store in the Los Angeles area that's been out of business for a year or two.
10-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If a store gets a camera like that, and never sells it, do they have any options, for example to return it to Pentax? I have seen very old Pentax digital cameras in stores before that still have a pretty (senselessly) high price. Or maybe they don't keep up with Pentax and don't know when they should try to aggressively close them out.
10-12-2017, 12:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If a store gets a camera like that, and never sells it, do they have any options, for example to return it to Pentax? I have seen very old Pentax digital cameras in stores before that still have a pretty (senselessly) high price. Or maybe they don't keep up with Pentax and don't know when they should try to aggressively close them out.
And that's why visits from a company rep (reresentative ) not just a sales man , is so critical, that's who advises them about end of line,closing out deals and helps his customers maintain stock relevance and stock levels.
Some dealers seem to get that, for example SRS in Watford had pre knowledge of the FF body and almost gave me the availability date during a long chat about changing my existing kit .
10-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Ricoh list of authorized dealers is out of date. They list a store in the Los Angeles area that's been out of business for a year or two.
I think the same was (IS?) true in Europe as the last time I looked at the UK list (a couple of years ago) that also listed quite a number of stores which either were not still in existence or weren't photo stores any more
10-12-2017, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On my way to work I pass by a camera store in a big mall and I drop in from time to time. I have never bought anything from them as they never have anything I want. I have tried but got no joy.

Rechargable AA batteries? Sorry, fresh out. This happend twice On one accasion I found some at the toy shop around the corner. The other time the supermarket had them.

Any Pentax mount lenses? Nope, we don't stock that stuff any more.

Light stand? Only as part of a very expensive studio flash kit.

Umbrella? That one is part of the shop display and not for sale.

Flash bracket? What is that?

Nice big camera bag? We only stock these dinky ones, how much kit do you have?

Sensor cleaning kit? That is dangerous stuff, you might scratch your sensor. Let us send your camera off for a service. It will only be $150 and should be back in two weeks. Uhm, I will get back to you on that...

I can only wonder how they stay in business. They do run a website, that must keep them afloat.
10-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes it sounds bad but lets face it, brick and mortar stores are disappearing - another massive chain just went bankrupt (Sears Canada) - there are only 3 camera stores here in Montreal, a city of 3 M people - electronic stores are thinning their stock. I think Best Buy, another big chain is moving to online sales. Maybe Ricoh/Pentax is just working with that reality. Anything that can fit in a mailbox or be safe dropped or picked up at the local PO is online fodder so who needs regular stores? I've bought more than $1000 of telescope accessories this year, all online sales. Its just way easier and convenient, and probably a little more impulsive!