Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2017, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photographer Terry Richardson banned

QuoteQuote:
Condé Nast would like to no longer work with the photographer Terry Richardson.
QuoteQuote:
The spotlight fell on the modelling industry in the wake of allegations that came to light against Mr Weinstein, the Hollywood mogul.

QuoteQuote:
Christy Turlington, the model, said last week that harassment of photographic models was widely tolerated in the industry.

Exclusive: Terry Richardson banned from working with Vogue and other leading mags, leaked email shows

Sad it takes seven years, as these things have been published as early as 2010:

QuoteQuote:
"I think for people in the fashion industry, the way Terry Richardson works has been an open secret for a long time," Jezebel's fashion editor Jenna Sauers said. "I think a lot of people tolerate it in public because of his extraordinary power within the industry. In private I think many are very disturbed by his history of behaviour with many of the models he works with."
Fashion photographer Terry Richardson accused of sexually exploiting models | Fashion | The Guardian

10-25-2017, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I've never liked his photography... So many white-background portraits with over-gunned "rabbit in the headlights" lighting. I understand that's part of his "signature look", but it does nothing for me, and I really don't understand why he gained such a position of power.
10-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
His style's irrelevant. I wouldn't care if he was Ansel freaking Adams. Continuing to work with this guy when his pattern of behavior has been known for years is a real black mark on Condé Nast.If you are going to be a professional, then act like a professional.
My opinion was on a separate but related point, Brian. I wasn't trying to link his style with his actions... I was merely saying that I've never understood why he had so much power and popularity in the first place. For me, it raises an interesting question as to whether his influence extended beyond the models he allegedly abused, and into the media organisations that were hiring him. In that sense, whilst not central to the matter, I think it's relevant.

Of course I agree that publishers shouldn't have been working with him if they had knowledge of inappropriate behavior. I'd would hope that goes without saying...
10-25-2017, 06:48 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jezebel have an ideological axe to grind on this issue, and I wouldn't trust them to tell me the sun rose in the east, but picking through the articles he does appear from his own mouth to have an... interesting standard of behaviour with models. The entirety of the fashion, entertainment and film industry in the US seems to be one great big paedo/p0rno-industrial complex once you scratch the surface. These magazines knew full well the whole time what was going on and IMO they did not and still do not give a damn about the models; the distance they are now putting between themselves and these individuals is damage control, not moral rectitude.\

At least Playboy were honest about what they were presenting on the middle pages!!!

10-25-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The entirety of the fashion, entertainment and film industry in the US seems to be one great big paedo/p0rno-industrial complex once you scratch the surface.
As you say, the fashion industry has been rife with sexual harassment and assault of models, including those under the age of consent, for ever, as detailed in this article published in The Guardian in 2009. People in positions of power have done very little to change it.

Sara Ziff talks to Louise France about the world of teen modelling | Fashion | The Guardian
10-25-2017, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
These models have parents. Just think how you'd read all this if this was your 16 year old daughter explaining to you how her industry works and what is happening to her.
10-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Never liked his pictures or his conduct with models.

10-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
These models have parents. Just think how you'd read all this if this was your 16 year old daughter explaining to you how her industry works and what is happening to her.
Except she wouldn't, out of fear.
10-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I read elsewhere that U.S. Vogue has not worked with him for seven years, maybe due to the previous publicity? Though its not clear why it wasn't a blanket Conde Nast policy until now.

Last edited by leekil; 10-25-2017 at 05:28 PM.
10-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Very ugly egotist, obviously ... and what's the euphemism - "party goer"?

I do like a lot of his work, though.

His jarring direct head-on flash shots like the top one of Game of Thrones actor Kit Harrington are meant to be like the old Polaroids.

But he's a versatile master, no doubt. Natural light with retro PP in the second shot of Dutch model Doutzen Kroes and off-camera flash in the third of Kobe Bryant for GQ magazine.

Last edited by clackers; 10-25-2017 at 11:56 PM.
10-25-2017, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Never liked his pictures or his conduct with models.
I agree. From the videos I have seen of him "working", it was obvious his relationship to the models was not healthy.

Steve
10-30-2017, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All I can say is that he had it coming. But I'm afraid this is pretty much the tip of the iceberg.

As a industry insider I'm all too familiar with the antics of models, photographers but also modelling agencies. Modelling agencies are supposed to educate the models on professional conduct, just as photography schools and universities should educate their photographers on professional conduct. Sexism is rampant in the industry, i'm afraid: it is beyond a simple fix. The way I see it the only way things will improve is when models, photographers and modelling agencies take their responsibilities seriously and if they cross the line they are held accountable, and are called out on inappropriate behavior.

People don't turn into abusers overnight, It isn't enough to expose one individual for egregiously abhorrrent conduct: you have to expose all the people who enabled him to reach that point.
10-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
All I can say is that he had it coming. But I'm afraid this is pretty much the tip of the iceberg.

As a industry insider I'm all too familiar with the antics of models, photographers but also modelling agencies. Modelling agencies are supposed to educate the models on professional conduct, just as photography schools and universities should educate their photographers on professional conduct. Sexism is rampant in the industry, i'm afraid: it is beyond a simple fix. The way I see it the only way things will improve is when models, photographers and modelling agencies take their responsibilities seriously and if they cross the line they are held accountable, and are called out on inappropriate behavior.

People don't turn into abusers overnight, It isn't enough to expose one individual for egregiously abhorrrent conduct: you have to expose all the people who enabled him to reach that point.
Yep, part of the reason Molly Ringwald didn't kick on with much acting after the John Hughes movies (Breakfast Club, 16 Candles et al) ...

All the Other Harvey Weinsteins: Molly Ringwald on Acting in Hollywood | The New Yorker
11-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who remembers the Antonioni movie "Blow-Up" from the 1960s? Richardson seems to have believed the life-style of the main character was a role model for fashion photographers, but nobody could have accused him of being as cute as David Hemmings. I wonder if he drove a convertible Rolls-Royce with an old-fashioned telephone on the dashboard.
11-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Who remembers the Antonioni movie "Blow-Up" from the 1960s? Richardson seems to have believed the life-style of the main character was a role model for fashion photographers, but nobody could have accused him of being as cute as David Hemmings. I wonder if he drove a convertible Rolls-Royce with an old-fashioned telephone on the dashboard.
Fantastic film - love the air tennis at the end!

Hemmings' character was a hedonistic amalgam of three real photographers, David Bailey, Brian Duffy and Terrence Donovan. Swinging Sixties, and all of that.