Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
Some company should stick a LTE chip inside a camera.. I wouldnt be surprised it would be Sony, the Play apps are inside already..
Samsung NX1 would do nicely too.
You see, if camera manuf. are going to war against smartphones, they will have to use the same sword.
I would love to see you walking along the street, Jeff, talking to your wife with the K-1 and DFA 150-450 pressed up against your ear.

11-02-2017, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I would love to see you walking along the street, Jeff, talking to your wife with the K-1 and DFA 150-450 pressed up against your ear.
jaja, that would be jolly!

No, but serious talking, its been proposed and I really dont see why not it could be done..Let your imagination flow!
Ok lets go to the workshop..
You select a camera that you know that would be used most of the time in urban areas..hmm lets get a GR..
Ok, lets create a grip that contains the cellular/Bluetooth module and an alternative RTOS/Android module.
Touchscreen 5.5 inch is a must.
Upgradeable apps and a micro desktop, extendible to your smartphone and computer, like a DLNA device
I want that when I connect the grip to the GR, the GR will have an alternative menu, optimized to view and share with contacts and accounts.
11-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #63
mee
Veteran Member

I would like to see programmable Macro feature in camera. Even if you have to code them on a PC it would be neat and a site to share or download others. And I mean Macro as in automated computer instructions not close up imagery.

A full on cellular integration to send images would be interesting too. Though plans and service might be a minefield.... which is probably why they will stick to wifi/BT and tether off your smartphone.
11-02-2017, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ergonomics of a smartphone are awful for smart functions like taking photos and also dumb functions like talking on the phone.

I’m all thumbs typing on the apps, too.

11-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #65
Veteran Member

You see, Monocrome got the idea..
And all smartphones are terrible in ergonomics, but does that stop the average Kim Kardashian-ishes?no, because it fits in 1 hand!
The most "almost" concept camera for what I refer to is the NX Mini..
It only lacks that cel data feature, Facebook,IG and Google+ apps, (ditch the Flkr and Dropbox, who sees that anyway?), a bigger sensor,
and replace the lens with a 2.0 25mm..Done deal for the Amazoners!
Watch the Y1 M1 carefully in the future, these guys are on the right track for this..

---------- Post added 11-02-17 at 02:14 PM ----------

Data plans? no problem..ATT will sell this baby with an unlimited for $90/month, and it gets unlocked when the contract is fulfilled..
Coding an app, no problem either. It has a Android IDE. If Theta can be coded, why not this?
11-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by leekil
I don't know if you can blame marketing; I mean, you could throw 10,000 marketers at the horse & buggy and you couldn't get it to replace 2% of the cars on the road. The fact that the camera comes with your phone is a pretty big disincentive to buy a separate one for a lot of people.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Yes, so if that's the case, then it's the product, which is why I said it's either one or the other. Nonetheless, we know that the phone camera comes with a lot of limitations: the task for marketing is to present a case that convinces enough people to part with some more money, because those limitations have sufficient importance to warrant it.
It's not the product, it's the market. The market has moved away from the horse & buggy, but there are those who really, really need a horse and buggy. But most people don't. The product can be great, but it doesn't help if the market has become small. If there truly isn't the demand, then no amount of marketing can really change that significantly.
11-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
It's not the product, it's the market. The market has moved away from the horse & buggy, but there are those who really, really need a horse and buggy. But most people don't. The product can be great, but it doesn't help if the market has become small. If there truly isn't the demand, then no amount of marketing can really change that significantly.
It may be an impossible task, of course, but markets move depending on people's perceptions - they don't exist on their own. If you can't change those perceptions for a requisite number of people, then I agree with what you're saying, although I think the horse and buggy analogy is as fraught as my coffee-drinking analogy. However, it's not impossible to change perceptions, as political marketers (among others) well know.

11-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You say that, but a K-1 with a 28mm at f13 should give the same results as an iphone 7 camera. Of course you can stop down ore if you like although at a certain point you won't be getting 36 megapixels of goodness any more due to diffraction. But certainly you aren't going to get worse results on the K-1 than you will with your iphone.
It gets a little more complicated when the small sensor camera also has a variable aperture - take a dfa100mm used on a Q or on a K-1, it stops down to f32 for either camera.

The real way to win with the larger sensor is focus stacking (if applicable to your subject). With Olympus leading the way for limited in-camera stacks and larger focus bracketing options (for post-processing) and Nikon following, it won't be long before it's a standard feature in DSLRs across the board and we all have software that lets our DSLR perform as well as a smartphone. (I kid, I kid, focus stacking is far more than that).

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I would like to see programmable Macro feature in camera. Even if you have to code them on a PC it would be neat and a site to share or download others. And I mean Macro as in automated computer instructions not close up imagery.
Indeed, I'd love to be able to instruct the camera to "1)Take photo, 2) adjust focus forward by x units, 3) repeat steps 1&2 Y number of times" to make a home-brew focus bracketing for stacking. Using a Macro for macro? That should be worth a few bonus points?

Last edited by BrianR; 11-03-2017 at 07:38 AM.
11-03-2017, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those of us who shoot a lot of macro and pseudo macro, that would be a godsend.
11-03-2017, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think I can add an answer even though I believe some whiners will still find excuses to whine:

That programmable macro feature is what I successfully tried with the K-1. It is already there.
Just take Image Transmitter 2 and any open source windows macro recorder (many are quite advanced in their scriptability).
IT2 gives you the option to make microfocus adjustments in one direction. You just need the script to BEGIN LOOP / TRIGGER CAMERA / ADJUST FOCUS +1 FORWARD / END LOOP. Repeat as often as you wish. And set it to move forward multiple times per loop if needed.

This macro shooting support came with the last update of IT2.

BTW, screw driven macro lenses have some tolerances in the coupling, so the focus often only starts to shift after a dozen software focus shifts.
11-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I think I can add an answer even though I believe some whiners will still find excuses to whine:
Yea, I can't afford a K-1 so it all stinks!

Seriously though, that kind of functionality is pretty awesome!