Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 04:01 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guess is that for most photographers, weather sealing isn't as big a deal as other attributes of a camera.
The ones who buy A9, A7R III, 1Dx, D5 cannot be called "most photographers". Usually those photographers need durability (solid cameras) besides performance. That's why they spend a lot of money.

If your lenses were just as functional on a A9 as on a 1D series camera, it would make it a lot easier to get one.
There are some things that I really like on mirrorless cameras, but there are other things that I don't like. For the moment the "don't like" list is longer than the other one. And I don't see a point in getting a second camera from a different brand and use it with lenses with adapters. Too many compromises...

01-09-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The ones who buy
I think it is sheer fantasy to assume any type of consumer camera (and the models you listed are consumer cameras) is in the majority bought by a specific group which can be identified by anything else than the depth of their purse.

From years of reading in photo forums I think I can safely say that in Germany the vast majority (think 90+%) of buyers of the expensive cameras are just a male & wealthy sort of "soccer-mom", who shoot exactly the same type of subjects which others shoot with their 1200D kit - and the results are in no meaningful way better.
Only a tiny minority really has very specific requirements due to a commercial job or similar.

(the above is off topic, I know, as it has nothing to do with this thread specifically. Just beware of generalizations)
01-09-2018, 06:49 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The ones who buy A9, A7R III, 1Dx, D5 cannot be called "most photographers". Usually those photographers need durability (solid cameras) besides performance. That's why they spend a lot of money.

There are some things that I really like on mirrorless cameras, but there are other things that I don't like. For the moment the "don't like" list is longer than the other one. And I don't see a point in getting a second camera from a different brand and use it with lenses with adapters. Too many compromises...
I think beholder3 is probably right in that the thing that separates photographers with A9, D5, or 1Dx cameras from other photographers is how much money they have. Yes, there are some professionals who buy these cameras but, they are fewer than you might think. First of all, there aren't that many professionals out there compared to wealthy hobby-photographers and second, professionals (except for top tier ones) really have to be careful about every expense. If your 5D MK II is working for your wedding photography business, your aren't going to up date it just to update it, even if you can deduct it as a business expense, unless you know that it will improve your efficiency or the prices you can charge for your work. Most pros I know work with gear that is a generation or two old because it works and they don't really need the newest and the greatest.
02-02-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sony Q3 2017 data from Feb 2nd 2018:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/17q3_sonypre.pdf
  • overall upbeat for the company, but:
  • Semiconductors Unit: = sensors
    • "Significant decrease in sales of camera modules, a business which was downsized"
  • Imaging products Unit: = cameras
    • "Decrease in unit sales"
Canon same time:
  • Camera sales +5,3% to 703 billions of yen
    • 5,51 million ILC (no decrease, no increase expected in FY2018)
    • 4,04 million compacts (expect decrease of -16% in FY2018)
  • Camera op. profit +21,8% to 176 billions of yen

02-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #50
Pentaxian

I think beholder3 is probably right in that the thing that separates photographers with A9, D5, or 1Dx cameras from other photographers is how much money they have. Yes, there are some professionals who buy these cameras but, they are fewer than you might think. First of all, there aren't that many professionals out there compared to wealthy hobby-photographers and second, professionals (except for top tier ones) really have to be careful about every expense. If your 5D MK II is working for your wedding photography business, your aren't going to up date it just to update it, even if you can deduct it as a business expense, unless you know that it will improve your efficiency or the prices you can charge for your work. Most pros I know work with gear that is a generation or two old because it works and they don't really need the newest and the greatest.
I agree, think you are spot on in your assessment.
02-09-2018, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Quoting myself from another thread:

QuoteQuote:
To add some perspective:
Germany has about 80 million citizens.
Due to laws here pretty much any "pro" has to register as such (including any part timers who do not live off it completely; anyone who wants to make some money) at a certain organisation.
In 2015 there were 14,397 such pros (https://www.zdh-statistik.de/application/load_doc.php?datei=20171101145921_B...B1_HW_2015.xls).
Now let's be optimistic and assume a pro replaces his camera every 3 years on average. That makes for about 5,000 cameras of all types sold to pros per annum.
Total annual German ILC unit sales were about 1,260,000 in 2014.
(source: Deutscher Kameramarkt in Zahlen: Weniger DSLR, mehr Spiegellose | c't Fotografie)
That leaves less than 0,5% to pros.
That translates into 200 bodies sold to amateurs per 1 body sold to any sort of pro.
If the most expensive bodies were sold mainly to "pros" they could have any fantasy 50% margin and still they would drive the makers bankrupt since the overall profit contribution was way too low.