Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

A few hours or an unforeseen event can make a huge difference so Be Prepared

A few weeks back I struck a deal with an A list act to shoot 2 shows on consecutive nights in 2 states. Management asked for some next morning selects and pics of all band members after final edits. I was excited . I love this band and they were super accommodating. They gave me AA passes and extra tickets in case I wanted to bring a guest. Travel was a big triangle with each venue about 3 hrs from home and 3 hrs between the two. I made hotel arrangements for the first night to facilitate the next morning selects and keep me fresh for night #2.
Show day came and so did rain. It took me 4.5 hrs to make what should have been a 3 hr trip. Went right to the venue and got checked in about 20 minutes before the opening act. Due to stage height , monitor position , damn fog machine and venue layout I was less than proud of my first night shots but knew what to do at the next show. Before bed I chose a few quick edit keepers and sent them out.
Morning came and I packed up and headed for the next venue with great optimism. This is when the dominoes started to fall. I pulled into town and snow started falling. Southern states tend to be ill equipped to handle snow or ice as it is something of a rarity. I sat in the parking lot next to the big yellow tour bus and watched the weather. Knowing that I HAD to get home that night due to family responsibility ( aged parents / teen age daughter), I decided to scrap the mission and head home before dark. I told the Tour Manager why I had to leave which I assume he understood. I thought it would be OK , I could work with the pics I had and still supply images of publishable quality.
Then it got ugly! Upon arrival at home I was hit with a series of self inflicted "crises" by my Mother which kept me from task for the evening. The following day my closest friend's kid killed himself . The emotional impact and my attempts to aid and comfort my buddy and his family certainly took priority over editing concert photos. It is now a week after the final edits were expected and I got nothing!
Failure is not something I do well! I am well beyond the point of selling images or fulfilling my end of the deal. There will be no money in this job for me .but more importantly , I didn't do what I said I would.I frequently let bands use my work on social media free of charge but it's even too late for that. I can only hope that after my explanation this band and it's agent will let me work with them again.
Any aspiring event photographers should remember this story and keep the Boy Scout Motto in mind always.
Anyone else ever have a dream gig turn to pure ugly?

Last edited by Floggin Rodger; 12-18-2017 at 10:50 AM.
12-18-2017, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would appear that the gig stuff is a lesser problem. My prayers go to your friend's family in their grief and also to you and your mother as challenges there come up. Oh...and yes, I have been skunked on a highly anticipated session/outing. That is one reason why I don't do weddings, at least not as sole photog

Steve
12-18-2017, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

no such experience

but I have to salute you for being there for your friend and the family

you chose the proper priority IMHO

I hope that the band will understand
12-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Steve

12-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If conditions are unpredictable or uncontrollable, they are not the shooters fault. Opting for controlled environment shoots may be safer and more predictable.

Good luck with future shoots.
12-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Opting for controlled environment shoots may be safer and more predictable.

Yes but not nearly as much fun ....well in most cases.
12-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for your situation FR, sounds like you did the very best under unfortunate circumstances. You did the right thing! If the band understand, great. If they don't, you are probably lucky you don't have to deal with a group with no feeling for life, or others.

12-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Knowing that I HAD to get home that night due to family responsibility ( aged parents / teen age daughter), I decided to scrap the mission and head home before dark.
Not to use this as a cliché but, as I have often been told "It was meant to be (that way)" and you made the right decisions.
No doubt that something much better will come your way when you least expect it.
01-12-2018, 06:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've had a few gigs go bad, but most were salvagable and they weren't on the level of what you had to deal with. Sometimes things work out for the best though. My biggest bust turned into one of my favorite stories I ever worked on.