Pentaxian

TIPA Awards: Pentax KP is "Best APSC DSLR Expert"

Found this earlier, thought I'd share:

TIPA - TECHNICAL IMAGE PRESS ASSOCIATION - This year's awards

12-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's good to see this, after TCSTV suggesting the KP is the second worst camera of 2017

I don't have a beef either way, but it goes to show how subjective these things are...
12-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best, second worst; quite the range of opinion!
12-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Best, second worst; quite the range of opinion!
Presumably it's fairly average then.

12-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Presumably it's fairly average then.
That depends on the buyer's needs. Best for some, worst for some, average for others. All just opinions based on individual criteria

It's not the camera for me, but I doubt anyone could honestly class it as "fairly average"...
12-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
2B1

I have a KP and it is a decent camera.
I also purchased a K- S1 after it was voted worst camera by the camera store.They got that so wrong.
I would say the K-S1 has astounding image quality and is easily the best value camera in the market.

Regards
12-24-2017, 04:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TIPA gives awards to every camera, though, don't they? They always seem to have twenty categories for ten cameras.
12-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
TIPA gives awards to every camera, though, don't they? They always seem to have twenty categories for ten cameras.
It does seem that they cover numerous categories. If I count correctly (I needed to use both hands and one foot), this year's lineup included 12 categories for cameras.

According to their website, TIPA makes the awards for products introduced to market during the 12-month period ending in March of the 'voting year' - March 2017 in this instance. They don't compare the new products against earlier models. The criteria for 'best' include "innovation, the use of leading-edge technology, design and ergonomics, ease-of-use, as well as price/performance ratio." However, it's not clear that the voting members have used or tried the all of the products. TIPA's description mentions that "Most TIPA members conduct their own product testing in order to give their readers informed and first-hand product reviews," but they don't seem to publish the ratings or scoring for each winning product; I would guess that there is plenty of subjectivity.

Edit: I spent some more time looking at the TIPA website. There is an overview of their approach to testing cameras: http://www.tipa.com/english/camera_test.html

They say: "To further support TIPA members with the testing of digital cameras, on 1 September 2017, TIPA appointed Image Engineering GmbH & Co., located in Cologne, Germany to perform routine digital camera tests based on an independent and objective testing method."

An overview of Image Engineering's test methodology is provided at a link on that page.

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-24-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Add info on TIPA's approach to testing
12-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I would guess that there is plenty of subjectivity.
as well as apportioning between different manufacturers - however, in anything abut a purist sense, all that matters is that ordinary customers see the TIPA logo on a cameera, and it encourages them to try it out, or maybe even buy it - which is probably more important to Pentax than most