Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2018, 01:08 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Male Models Say Mario Testino and Bruce Weber Sexually Exploited Them

"photographers" can be disgusting. It's not only the case Terry Richardson, but there are more sick news.

QuoteOriginally posted by NYTimes:
described Mr. Testino as a friend until he stuck his hand down the back of Taber’s pants, and showed up at his hotel room asking for sex.
QuoteOriginally posted by NYTimes:
an assistant to Mr. Testino in the late ’90s who said the photographer rubbed up against his leg with an erection and masturbated in front of him.
Male Models Say Mario Testino and Bruce Weber Sexually Exploited Them - The New York Times

First minor consequence:

Vogue publisher drops Bruce Weber and Mario Testino over misconduct allegations - Jan. 15, 2018

01-16-2018, 01:51 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting and highly distressing. With respect, though, I'll consider it news if and when the allegations are proven, or the evidence is deemed sufficient to result in conviction. Until then, these matters should be dealt with confidentially - not splashed around the news and social media.
01-16-2018, 05:55 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those brief descriptions indicate the incidents may at best be described as unwanted sexual advances. In isolation, they don't seem to me to constitute exploitation, or even harassment. If they were accompanied by overt threats or inducements, that would amount to exploitation or harassment, or perhaps extortion. Repeated across a range of subjects, though, they would suggest predatory behaviour that should be exposed. I can't help wondering, however, if this whole thing is in danger of being contaminated by a few looking, for example, to exact revenge, rather than seek justice: fashion and performing arts circles can sometimes be very self-centred and bitchy, even maybe being overly precious.

Like Mike, I'll reserve judgment until there's a proper investigation.
01-16-2018, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
fashion and performing arts circles can sometimes be very self-centred and bitchy, even maybe being overly precious
I see your subtext, and I'll raise you things that would probably get me permabanned if I stated them overtly.

01-16-2018, 08:20 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

While I find such allegations of sexual assault/exploitation/impropriety, etc. disturbing and worthy of investigation, I'm equally disturbed by the total lack of due process we're seeing regarding these allegations--and more importantly, the widespread acceptance of the denial of such due process. If a person is guilty, then they do indeed need and deserve punishment but the allegations need to be proven first. Suspicion does not equal guilt.
01-16-2018, 08:38 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Methinks the Victorians were more right than than we credit them to have been; a return to a less permissive set of social mores (regrettable though it may be) is the logical outcome of this cultural mania.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-16-2018 at 09:09 AM.
01-16-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
While I find such allegations of sexual assault/exploitation/impropriety, etc. disturbing and worthy of investigation, I'm equally disturbed by the total lack of due process we're seeing regarding these allegations--and more importantly, the widespread acceptance of the denial of such due process. If a person is guilty, then they do indeed need and deserve punishment but the allegations need to be proven first. Suspicion does not equal guilt.
So often this is one person's word against another. We form opinions based on the amount of "smoke" that surrounds a given individual, but typically there is minimal hard evidence. None of these situations are actually going to court and so allegations they will remain, regardless of whether they are true or not.

01-16-2018, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Methinks the Victorians were more right than than we credit them to have been; a return to a less permissive set of social mores (regrettable though it may be) is the logical outcome of this cultural mania.
I could live with that. At times, our little planet seems devoid of social morality...
01-16-2018, 09:52 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Interesting and highly distressing. With respect, though, I'll consider it news if and when the allegations are proven, or the evidence is deemed sufficient to result in conviction. Until then, these matters should be dealt with confidentially - not splashed around the news and social media.
Trial by social media seems to be the way it's done these days.
It's become far too easy to smear someone who really can't defend themselves, and since on social media the Napoleonic Code holds, once the accusation is made, it's guilt until innocence is proven.
How do you prove you didn't do something that didn't happen decades ago?

It used to be that we branded people who used sexual favours to improve their lot in life as hookers. Now you can jump on the casting couch, get a plum role and then call yourself a victim, and the world will fall at your feet in sympathy.
01-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
once the accusation is made, it's guilt until innocence is proven
... and even when innocence is proven, a trace of stigma and doubt still persists. The accusation, whether accurate or inaccurate, never goes away - it's on permanent record, beamed to the world...
01-16-2018, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fine line between seduction (which is legal) and harrassment or assault. Up to a court I guess to make a judgment on context.

Still, a good rule of thumb for togs. No touchee model. Even with that thumb.

Get the model to adjust the hair, or the HMU, or her friend. Not us.

Last edited by clackers; 01-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.
01-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No thanks!

The Victorian Joy of Sex: Prudish? Far from it | Daily Mail Online
01-17-2018, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Fine line between seduction (which is legal) and harrassment or assault. Up to a court I guess to make a judgment on context.

Still, a good rule of thumb for togs. No touchee model. Even with that thumb.

Get the model to adjust the hair, or the HMU, or her friend. Not us.
I learn photography from a fashion photographer. The rules I have been taught are:

Male photographers do not either touch female models or ask if they can. (Although you should obviously shake hands if you haven't seen them in a while.)

Female models may touch male photographers if they so please and can ask male photographers to adjust their hair or clothes or remove a make up smudge. The model is always the person in charge. Usually this only happens when the photographer and model have worked together for a long time.

It isn't a rule as such but male photographers who try it on with female models on a regular basis will get bad reputations and nobody will want to work with them.

Perhaps all of this should be extended to all gender combinations, not just male photographers working with female models.
01-17-2018, 05:44 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remove ‘female’ and ‘male’ from every sentence above.
01-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The fact that after millennia of living in societies humans still can't figure it out...