Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I’m a Canon Gold CPS member it was $100, have the points for Platinum but not the need for that much service. I can get two day turnaround on service and loaner tryout before you buy gear for 10 days I think it is, maybe 14. You can only borrow a item once though.

They also have lots of training and learning events all over the place, I did a one on one class at their NY headquarters in October and it was a great learning experience. I’m going to try to get to a class or two this year to try to learn a little about shooting styles I’ve never done.

Like Clackers said you have to spend big in the first place but it’s worth it in my opinion.

02-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But look at the points you need!

You need to have spent big in the first place.
Yes, itʻs really for pros at the highest levels. To be NPS or CPS youʻve already spent or are in debt for tons of gear, and the service is a sort of insurance in case you were in a pinch.

And there are different levels of pros. Those that are NPS or CPS members are usually not working at a local level like a local photojournalist or studio photographer, but are typically working at the national or international level with agencies, networks, etc.
02-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, itʻs really for pros at the highest levels. To be NPS or CPS youʻve already spent or are in debt for tons of gear, and the service is a sort of insurance in case you were in a pinch.

And there are different levels of pros. Those that are NPS or CPS members are usually not working at a local level like a local photojournalist or studio photographer, but are typically working at the national or international level with agencies, networks, etc.
Yes, to even be at the Games, shooters have to be accredited by the organizers' media office. Their applications were put in by Reuters, Getty, newspaper, whatever, and selected freelancers. These are serious people.
02-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Quite a lot of top camera equipment available. Some may think it's an job to be envied...photographing the Olympics, but I would think the pressure to get the 'right' pic must be enormous with all those sports photographers...competing.

I wonder how many shutter actuations some of the equipment will rack up at the Olympics. I would also imagine that the use the equipment they get is quite...what's the word...'robust'....maybe.

I imagine there would be a market for selling this equipment after the games. Some would want the stuff for their pro life, some because the equipment served at the Olympics, etc.

Condition would vary I suppose, I'm assuming before it goes on sale, equipment would be tested, re calibrated if needed, etc. by Canon.

Would I want any equipment used at such a demanding event? Probably not.

I haven't been following the Olympics and I'm assuming the camera equipment is dominated by Canon. Wonder if much Nikon equipment is used and what other manufacturers are providing equipment for use ? Leica, Sony ?

02-15-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some may think it's an job to be envied...photographing the Olympics, but I would think the pressure to get the 'right' pic must be enormous with all those sports photographers...competing.

I haven't been following the Olympics and I'm assuming the camera equipment is dominated by Canon. Wonder if much Nikon equipment is used and what other manufacturers are providing equipment for use?
Photographers assigned to shoot the Olympics thrive on pressure. For a sport photographer, it's a dream assignment with so many events, well lit for television coverage, and all the food you can eat. Most pros are really competing with their own goals. It's not like there are a gaggle of freelancers all trying to make the cover of Skeleton Today magazine.

Canon once dominated sports photography with superior AF speed, but Nikon has slowly regained ground and many photographers have jumped on the D5, D850, or D500 bandwagon. I do watch major sporting events, including the Olympics, and whereas it used to be 80/20 Canon/Nikon, I'd say it's more like 60/40 these days.

Olympics 2018 | I AM NIKON Blog

All the television cameras are exclusively Sony with Canon lenses.
02-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Photographers assigned to shoot the Olympics thrive on pressure. For a sport photographer, it's a dream assignment with so many events
I don't think you're free to move between events, IIRC, the Olympics you get accreditation for individual sports (eg swimming, but not track and field). Perhaps it's different for the agencies.

The freelancers have a really tough time making a living. The newspapers or online sites want the pics fast, and since they've already paid for a Getty subscription, what shots can you offer them that the four Getty guys in the shooting pit beside you haven't already FTPed to them? This is why newspapers and magazines have laid off their staff photographers in recent years.

Ryu Voelkel is an example of a tog who submits beautiful, distinctive pictures to the wire or to his clients rather than run-of-the-mill standard action shots.
02-15-2018, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think you're free to move between events, IIRC, the Olympics you get accreditation for individual sports (eg swimming, but not track and field). Perhaps it's different for the agencies.
Correct. When I wrote "events", I didn't mean different venues. But for example, in ice skating, there are non-stop action between qualifiers, mens/womens/pairs, and then so many different categories for each medal event. Compared to World Cup event or SuperBowl or Championship, the magnitude and quality of athletes is just that much bigger.

02-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It is impressive. And paid for by their customers.
Yep! I'm sure glad I did not have to pay for that (and the marketing budgets of Canikon) when I bought Pentax.
02-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not undertanding what all this kit is for, assuming that any pro covering the event will bring their own cameras and appropriate lenses with them (or will they?). I can understand Canon and Nikon being there for repairs, and to sell replacements for any totalled write-offs, possible thefts and oversights, but are they really expecting this many cameras and lenses to break down during the games? A poor advert for their kit if they are
02-17-2018, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I'm not undertanding what all this kit is for, assuming that any pro covering the event will bring their own cameras and appropriate lenses with them (or will they?). I can understand Canon and Nikon being there for repairs, and to sell replacements for any totalled write-offs, possible thefts and oversights, but are they really expecting this many cameras and lenses to break down during the games? A poor advert for their kit if they are
Good question, your lordship.

As you say..."...any pro covering the event will bring their own cameras and appropriate lenses with them..." I would think so and through looking at some pictures of Olympic photographers I note that some have their lenses/camera bodies festooned with company decals to identify that this is their 500mm F 2.8.

I think that Canon, perhaps Nikon provide loaners of expensive high end equipment to photographers who have Olympics credentials. I'm assuming this 'free loan' if it is indeed that...is available for a number of reasons.

Advertising...lot's of people tune into the games and the fervent hope from Corporate Canikon...is that viewers who are getting into DSLR' dom will recognize the white Canon L lenses and the red corporate red slash on the Nikon body and the potential consumer will remember this when he/she is out to buy their basic Nikon/Canon and kit lenses.

Other reasons...Canikon can put temporarily into the hands of the pros and photographic agencies...exotic expensive lenses that...will send out a Siren call to these individuals and convince them that they need this particular exotica for their regular work. At the very least maybe media organizations will buy the exotica as one or few 'pool' lenses.

Also Canikon may hope to 'cement' their current customers and draw others into the fold by being able to provide, fix, turn around equipment fast...at the Olympics...so it can be out in no time flat with little downtime...making $$$ for the pros....meanwhile providing as good as..or even better loaners for use. If they provide the latest, 'improved' equipment as a loaner. An old new car sales trick..let the customer try out a loaded loaner...maybe he/she will find out that they really can't get along without the valve rotaters...that are only available in the new models.

I dunno, that's my view.

I remain your fthfl., obdt. servant:

Les
02-17-2018, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Yes, photographers have their own cameras and lenses, and yes, some of this loaner gear is for breakdowns, accidents, and theft. And yes, Canon and Nikon are expecting equipment losses during the events. Itʻs sometimes due to accidents such as impact, but a pro can easily shoot 10,000/day with 8 fps, and in extreme cold, things break.

But breakdowns may represent only 10% of the loaners, and if your are a NPS or CPS member, this gear can be borrowed (Nikon=free; Canon=depends on your level of membership) for backup use or to compliment your kit. For a pro, you may even have an assistant that will caddy all your gear.

In your kit, you may be still shooting with a D4s or D810, and after borrowing a D5 or D850, will discover you canʻt live without it and will buy a couple for future events where loaners are not available.

I donʻt see it as a poor advert for them. Yes, when Nikon has a recall on the D610 or I have a Takata airbag recall on my Toyota, itʻs a bummer. But Nikon and Toyota doesnʻt deny the problem, recalls and fixes it, and I even had a loaner from Toyota for a month until the replacement airbag arrived. I used to own Mitsubishis and they would never admit to a defect. And with my sonʻs K-50.......but I digress...