Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 12:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is Pentax going to stop selling cameras in India?

In Light of the recent events, Ricoh global has decided to liquidate it's Indian arm. Tax fraud by Ricoh India employees, has caused Ricoh to lose money. It's main business was the printer business. But in a post, Ricoh Global said, it's going to continue supporting it's customer base in India. Ricoh India website is down too. Is Ricoh going to stop selling Pentax cameras in India? Does anyone have any concrete news on this matter? Please enlighten.

02-25-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We did not hear of anything about that here until you posted about it, as far as I can tell, so no idea.
I understand why you'd ask though. I believe the answer can only come from Ricoh itself though.
02-25-2018, 01:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Is Pentax going to stop selling cameras in India?
Pentax forum is definitely the right place to ask because people know the internal information and decisions from Ricoh.
02-25-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not one of those people who has internal information about Ricoh but a quick look at Ricoh's international sales and service directory tells me that the Indian market could easily be supplied from Singapore, Thailand or Vietnam, if necessary. Given the size of India, I can't imagine that they would not have some sort of agency relationship for all their products there, but it's likely that a lack of direct company presence will only last while they sort out the tax problems their employees seem to have left them with. In any event, surely their Indian sales and service arm would have been selling cameras through a distributor and retail sales outlets, rather than directly. Even in Australia, while Ricoh has an office here in Sydney, their cameras are distributed and serviced through CR Kennedy, which is an independent company.

02-25-2018, 02:09 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We'll ask them at CP+, but considering that distribution and support in India was largely facilitated thanks to Ricoh's acquisition of Pentax, if/when Ricoh ceases operations in India, I'm sure this would affect camera availability as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-25-2018, 02:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
We did not hear of anything about that here until you posted about it, as far as I can tell, so no idea.
I understand why you'd ask though. I believe the answer can only come from Ricoh itself though.
Apparently problems started arising from 2015. They have delisted from the Indian stock exchange since the end of January. They have cut off Ties with Ricoh India ltd.

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 02:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Apparently problems started arising from 2015. They have delisted from the Indian stock exchange since the end of January. They have cut off Ties with Ricoh India ltd.

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 03:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'm not one of those people who has internal information about Ricoh but a quick look at Ricoh's international sales and service directory tells me that the Indian market could easily be supplied from Singapore, Thailand or Vietnam, if necessary. Given the size of India, I can't imagine that they would not have some sort of agency relationship for all their products there, but it's likely that a lack of direct company presence will only last while they sort out the tax problems their employees seem to have left them with. In any event, surely their Indian sales and service arm would have been selling cameras through a distributor and retail sales outlets, rather than directly. Even in Australia, while Ricoh has an office here in Sydney, their cameras are distributed and serviced through CR Kennedy, which is an independent company.
Well the matter is being sorted out. No word on the future operations in India. This caused Ricoh 8bn yen deficit. Pentax Cameras are not made or assembled in India. They come from abroad. They used to sell through their website, Amazon and a couple of other websites. Still hoping ricoh doesn't stop selling in India. Al though the price of Pentax DSLR are close to Nikon and Canon, in India. Price of k-1 is 2400$+ for body only.

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 03:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We'll ask them at CP+, but considering that distribution and support in India was largely facilitated thanks to Ricoh's acquisition of Pentax, if/when Ricoh ceases operations in India, I'm sure this would affect camera availability as well.
Yes please do! Would be really helpful! Thank you for your time!
02-25-2018, 03:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I am sure there will be some sort of representation in such a large market.

02-25-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I hope prices don't go up like crazy!

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 06:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I hope prices don't go up like crazy!
02-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
ricoh.co.in website is up. Any links that says about this liquidation?
02-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

As long as they still sell in Europe it's Ok for me :-) :-) :-)
02-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Is Ricoh going to stop selling Pentax cameras in India? Does anyone have any concrete news on this matter? Please enlighten.
Speculation/question. Neither news nor rumor.
Moved to the proper forum.
02-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax still does servicing in India. My sister has fungus infected Macro lens that she wanted to get cleaned. She was able to get in touch with Pentax-rep located in Bombay.
02-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
It's all over the internet. Just search, has Ricoh filed for insolvency in India. It's every where.

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 02:14 PM ----------

It's all over the internet. Just search, has Ricoh filed for insolvency in India. It's every where.

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 02:16 PM ----------

Trouble at Ricoh: a lot like Satyam - Business Line

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 02:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
As long as they still sell in Europe it's Ok for me :-) :-) :-)
I wasn't talking about Europe. Only India.

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 02:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Speculation/question. Neither news nor rumor.
Moved to the proper forum.
Trouble at Ricoh: a lot like Satyam - Business Line not rumours. The CEO of Ricoh global said it

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Pentax still does servicing in India. My sister has fungus infected Macro lens that she wanted to get cleaned. She was able to get in touch with Pentax-rep located in Bombay.
I'm talking about the recent turn of events. Please see the news.
03-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Check Pentax Ricoh interview, very recently posted. Ricoh rep says they will continue to sell Pentax in India. It's in this interview...either video or written article. I can't recall, but it is there.

CP+ 2018 Pentax Interview - CP+ 2018 | PentaxForums.com
03-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Check Pentax Ricoh interview, very recently posted. Ricoh rep says they will continue to sell Pentax in India. It's in this interview...either video or written article. I can't recall, but it is there.

Thank you! Feeling a bit relieved!

---------- Post added 03-10-18 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Thank you! Feeling a bit relieved!