Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yet another stupid comment by a non believer...

Hello all,

So a couple of days ago I took my K01 to get the sensor cleaned. I prefer someone do it for me, so I don't mind paying for the service. The guy at the counter was very polite and professional. Said they don't a lot of Pentax gear. Fair enough. Next he tried to unscrew the 21mm I had on the camera. I had to show him how to take it off. That was the first dumb moment.

I came back about half an hour later to pick it up. He told me he was impressed with it. He had never seen the brick. But then he says to me "even though the image quality isn't very good" I just looked at him and actually felt sorry for him. I didn't want to argue with him so I just left shaking my head.

This just goes to show that ignorance isn't always bliss.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-02-2018 at 05:51 PM.
03-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it always worry me when the sales person who is there to help me knows less that I do

it happens more and more

as far as what I personally know : less than I may claim at times but more than my sisters in law give me credit for

but I am reasonably sure when I don't know something and I am seeking help

this forum and its members is great for getting such help, IMHO YMMV
03-02-2018, 04:28 PM - 11 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Show the guy this shot next time you see him
03-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was his comment intended to suggest that there is something wrong with the sensor (all gunked up, perhaps?) or was he implying it's a lousy camera to begin with? If the latter, his comment smacks of totally unprofessional behavior, bad manners, and lack of respect for customers. His action to try to 'unscrew' the lens speaks of his incompetence - it's not hard to figure out a bayonet mount.

While you could raise the issue with his manager, it's probably better to let it rest and walk away shaking your head like you did. I imagine you felt like telling the guy to p*ss off, but it's hard to get satisfaction in this type of situation.

Anyways, WE know the quality of our cameras!

- Craig

03-02-2018, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So you got "your sensor cleaned". Better check when you pick up your camera to make sure they didn't clean the LCD and charge you for a "sensor cleaning". Yikes, I don't think I would have left my K-01 in that shop
03-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote

Wow. Fantastic pic.
03-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote

I absolutely love this shot! Brings a warm smile.

Stephen

03-02-2018, 05:49 PM - 9 Likes   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Be a cold day in Hades if I left my camera in the hands of someone who can't even figure out how to remove the lens.
03-02-2018, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Be a cold day in Hades if I left my camera in the hands of someone who can't even figure out how to remove the lens.
^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

And no insult to the person. It’s not his fault.
Pity yes, insult, no.
One is better to do it themselves in that situation, no matter how ham handed they think they are.
03-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would have been very hard for me to have resisted a comment along the lines of, "really? I had never noticed." As I then walked off.
03-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
It would have been very hard for me to have resisted a comment along the lines of, "really? I had never noticed." As I then walked off.
I always think of witty remarks to say

a day or two too late

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 19:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

And no insult to the person. It’s not his fault.
Pity yes, insult, no.
One is better to do it themselves in that situation, no matter how ham handed they think they are.
he worked in the shop

how to remove the lens is basic

it is his fault

imho, ymmv
03-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Next he tried to unscrew the 21mm I had on the camera. I had to show him how to take it off.
I had a similar circumstance when I bought my K5 a number of years ago. The young sales lass did the usual Canon thing and turned the camera front towards her to remove the lens they had on it. She thought it all odd at first and to my shame I didn't take the time to show her why the Pentax lens release button is in a far more logical location if your taking photos with the camera. Ah well, maybe next time.

Tas
03-03-2018, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I always think of witty remarks to say

a day or two too late

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 19:37 ----------

he worked in the shop

how to remove the lens is basic

it is his fault

imho, ymmv
I'd blame the people who trained him.
03-03-2018, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Hello all,

So a couple of days ago I took my K01 to get the sensor cleaned. I prefer someone do it for me, so I don't mind paying for the service. The guy at the counter was very polite and professional. Said they don't a lot of Pentax gear. Fair enough. Next he tried to unscrew the 21mm I had on the camera. I had to show him how to take it off. That was the first dumb moment.

I came back about half an hour later to pick it up. He told me he was impressed with it. He had never seen the brick. But then he says to me "even though the image quality isn't very good" I just looked at him and actually felt sorry for him. I didn't want to argue with him so I just left shaking my head.

This just goes to show that ignorance isn't always bliss.
People who know nowt about cameras are always telling me that only Canikon make proper cameras and have I thought of getting one? Presumably they tell people with Leicas and Hassellblads the same thing.
03-03-2018, 01:35 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd blame the people who trained him.
true, very true