Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Top Ten of the the 10 best selling cameras in Japan

Hi guys,

The major Japanese store Map Camera has announced that also in February the Nikon D850 was the best selling camera (sigh!)

The list of the Top Ten,

1° Nikon D850

2° Nikon D7500

3° Sony α7R III

4° Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

5° Panasonic LUMIX G9 PRO

6° Olympus Tough TG-5

7° Panasonic LUMIX GX8

8° Nikon COOLPIX P900

9° Canon EOS 6D Mark II

10° Nikon D500

We have to resign ourselves, I know that they sell Pentax too... but I can't tell you what position it is in. Some advice? Maybe In March.. April.. May

03-19-2018, 01:39 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
We have to resign ourselves,
Resign ourselves to what? This is not a soccer match, I don't care if 'my' camera brand makes any list at all. Who cares?
03-19-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi guys,

The major Japanese store Map Camera has announced that also in February the Nikon D850 was the best selling camera (sigh!)

The list of the Top Ten,

1° Nikon D850

2° Nikon D7500

3° Sony α7R III

4° Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

5° Panasonic LUMIX G9 PRO

6° Olympus Tough TG-5

7° Panasonic LUMIX GX8

8° Nikon COOLPIX P900

9° Canon EOS 6D Mark II

10° Nikon D500

We have to resign ourselves, I know that they sell Pentax too... but I can't tell you what position it is in. Some advice? Maybe In March.. April.. May
Coolpix P900? From 2015? Was it on clearance?

This is a weird list...

-Eric
03-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Resign ourselves to what? This is not a soccer match, I don't care if 'my' camera brand makes any list at all. Who cares?
I know, even I don't care much, but I would have expected to see her at least in 10th position, if you have a grievance, take it to Ricoh / Pentax, I agree with you.

But look ahead you can not rest on laurels, the truth is this.

03-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Only one Sony and no Fuji. Twice as many Nikon as Canons.
03-19-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Coolpix P900? From 2015? Was it on clearance?

This is a weird list...

-Eric
I go there for Used equipment. I think most peopel do the same. They have wonderful collection of used camera and lenses of all brands. But if I want a brand new equipments I would prefer Yodobashi or Biccamera.
so I wonder if the figure is based on used or brand new camera... or mix of both? Beside that, MapCamera is too small, I don't think their saling record can tell much about overall Japanese camera market.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 03-19-2018 at 04:51 PM.
03-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I go there for Used equipment. I think most peopel do the same. They have wonderful collection of used camera and lenses of all brands. But if I want a brand new equipments I would prefer Yodobashi or Biccamera.
so I wonder if the figure is based on used or brand new camera... or mix of both? Beside that, MapCamera is too small, I don't think their saling record can tell much about overall Japanese camera market.
Hi,

I don't know them, but generally everyone in stores sell both kinds, new and used. I have a friend from a shop in Tokyo and this month I bought two new optics from her (Pentax),
I quote her answer to my question about Pentax.

"In Japan, Pentax is probably not very competitive among optical companies today.
Most popular manufacture is probably Sony, then Canon. Nikon is slightly behind Canon nowadays then, Panasonic/Fujifilm, Olympus, probably Pentax is the last among them.
It does not mean Pentax technology is not advanced or inferior.. Just because today, more people like mirrorless cameras and more people want to shoot movies.
Last year Pentax announced they are going to downsize the camera business. It's a sad news. So photographers like you can help Pentax to move on.
"

Arigato

03-19-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

I don't know them, but generally everyone in stores sell both kinds, new and used. I have a friend from a shop in Tokyo and this month I bought two new optics from her (Pentax),
I quote her answer to my question about Pentax.

"In Japan, Pentax is probably not very competitive among optical companies today.
Most popular manufacture is probably Sony, then Canon. Nikon is slightly behind Canon nowadays then, Panasonic/Fujifilm, Olympus, probably Pentax is the last among them.
It does not mean Pentax technology is not advanced or inferior.. Just because today, more people like mirrorless cameras and more people want to shoot movies.
Last year Pentax announced they are going to downsize the camera business. It's a sad news. So photographers like you can help Pentax to move on.
"

Arigato
Last year Ricoh took an Impaired Asset write down of the compact camera manufacturing facility, which was essentially disused, as an accounting charge, and transferred the facility to the automotive products division at a reduced capitalization cost. This will help the emerging automotive imaging business earn a positive return on capital since that division is carrying the facility at a lower capitalized cost.

That is in no way the same as “Pentax announced they are going to downsize the camera business.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-19-2018 at 05:59 PM.
03-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

@maw
agaree with what your friend said. Booth’s size at 2018 CP+ also shows the same indication.
03-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #10

Are they talking about just their sales or all retail sales in Japan? Are they talking just one of their stores or all their stores if they have more than one? Just data from one month of sales? That doesn't tell you much.
03-19-2018, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Last year Ricoh took an Impaired Asset....
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
agaree with what your friend said. Booth’s size at 2018 CP+ also shows the same indication.
I do not know whether a marketing strategy or more stupidly misinformation, but is it certain that today in all areas we are witnessing a continuous change of power,
so being Communists or Capitalists does not change much, or is it largely due to globalization? One thought.
03-19-2018, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uh, what?
03-19-2018, 06:36 PM - 4 Likes   #13
JPT
Pentaxian

Map Camera is one camera shop in Tokyo, which also sells online. It’s a good shop and mostly used by the more serious customers, which you can see in which cameras are on the list.

This looks like business as usual. Recently released cameras are higher. Mostly high end stuff, with a couple of compact models that are popular as second cameras for enthusiasts. I would expect that when the K-1 mark 2 is actually in the market, it will briefly make an appearance in the top ten.

Pentax has about 5-10% of the DSLR unit volume in Japan. With that kind of sales, they only get up in the sales rankings when they have a product just released, or a big price drop on a camera. This is nothing new, and therefore nothing to panic about.

Obviously, Ricoh doesn’t have a mirrorless camera on the market at the moment, and mirrorless is growing comparative to DSLRs. But it doesn’t necessarily mean Ricoh needs to follow.

Canon and Nikon are both rumoured to bring out serious mirrorless cameras in the next year. They won’t stop making DSLRs all of a sudden, but if just a few percent of their users are unhappy with their direction and see that Ricoh is the only company that looks committed to OVF cameras, it could have a big impact for Ricoh. At the same time, Ricoh does have some kind of answer for people who want smaller cameras in the GR. It’s definitely one of the more popular compacts in Japan these days.

Honestly, the mirrorless market is going to get brutal if Canon get serious and Nikon try again. There will be Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, Canon, Nikon and Leica all peddling similar systems, with Tamron, Sigma and numerous others creaming off some of the lucrative lens sales.

Ricoh avoiding that battle could be strategic and wise, because it’s not the only way to prosper.

Sorry. Went way off topic. But anyway don’t worry about one month’s sales from one camera store in one country.
03-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Canon and Nikon are both rumoured to bring out serious mirrorless cameras in the next year.
From the same source, it would appear that Canon could present at the next Photokina at least one prototype of three Full Frame mirrorless cameras that it would be studying,
due to the proliferation of mirrorless cameras and the drop in reflex sales.

Nikon also seems to be heading in the same direction before it's late and Sony in particular will be able to eat the whole cake in a few years' time....

The Nikkei Asian Review has recently published an interview with Masahiro Sakata in which Canon Marketing Japan's president claims that Canon will devote
more attention to mirrorless cameras than to SLRs, but has not gone further.
03-19-2018, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Top Ten of the the 10 best selling cameras in Japan
5 DSLR's (3 full frame)
3 mirrorless
2 point and shoot

So if that represents the market it would appear that DSLR's and APS-C and full frame still have a viable place. So that may be good news for Pentax. Or am I extrapolating too far with too little data?