Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 12:44 AM   #16

<sarcasm on>Having that list in mind, we clearly see that DSLR are dying...! <sarcasm off>

03-20-2018, 01:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

They seem to be doing well enough to keep developing good cameras and selling them at competitive prices, which is enough for me. They don't have the size of the others but I suspect that the K-1 (and soon the mark II) sells extremely well.
03-20-2018, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what to make of this list. I have been told numerous times that Sony is cleaning up the market in Japan and yet there is only one Sony on the list. Also, the D850 being at the top of the list is odd, unless the list is in terms of dollar/yen value of items sold. In terms of absolute numbers of cameras, I would think that even in Japan cheaper APS-C cameras would turn over more units per year than full frame cameras. Of course, if this just a single month then there is no telling what it means.

Not too worried about Pentax/Ricoh though. They are what they are and if anything, they are avoiding too much growth as that could spoil things as much as too little growth. As long as they are selling cameras and don't have to discount gear enough to sell it at a loss, they should be fine and I see very few fire sales for Pentax gear these days.
03-20-2018, 03:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so much is so different to the global trends and figures we here - is it Japan or this list that is the outlier?

03-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like Rondec, I am amazed that the Nikon D850 is top of the list. No matter how good it is, it is an expensive camera and is FF. While I'd expect it to have a healthy following, I'd have though that APS cameras would outsell FFs by some factor, a factor of three or four perhaps. Any idea what this factor is in the west?
03-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Like Rondec, I am amazed that the Nikon D850 is top of the list.
Does that list say it is ranked by units or money?
03-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #22
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well! As I wrote it is a list of the best-selling cameras from ''Map Camera'', I think it is a real trend at least in Japan, it is not known whether globally in the world is the same.
Perhaps in Europe the ranking varies from country to country.

Don't you think?

03-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Well! As I wrote it is a list of the best-selling cameras from ''Map Camera'',
I understand that, but is it ranked by sales dollars or by units sold? If by money that explains why the D850 is number 1. In fact it explains a lot since the top of the list are mostly very expensive.
03-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well! As I wrote it is a list of the best-selling cameras from ''Map Camera'', I think it is a real trend at least in Japan, it is not known whether globally in the world is the same.
Perhaps in Europe the ranking varies from country to country.

Don't you think?
It's not a trend in Japan, or even in Tokyo.

As pointed out, this is one shop, with its particular few customers.

The whole thread title is wrong.

You cannot know the best selling cameras by any camera company, that is data not revealed to anyone, even the stock holders.
03-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #25
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I understand that, but is it ranked by sales dollars or by units sold? If by money that explains why the D850 is number 1
Sales and units sold are not the same thing? Or perhaps you are referring to the price of cameras?
I can virtually know how much it costs, a Nikon 850 and how much a Sony A7RIII or Pentax K1, but I don't know their turnover.
I don't know how the ranking was drawn up, I interpret that more Nikon units have been sold than the others that follow and so on. I could be wrong, of course.

But if you want to have fun with the prices do your search at least in Yen "here the price"

---------- Post added 21-03-18 at 01:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You cannot know the best selling cameras
I don't write for writing, but I don't think anyone who writes for an international photography magazine is deliberately exposed to such gross errors.
You don't think so, we live in a spy period ''facebook is just the tip of the iceberg''. Here we write and express ideas freely, can we believe or not?
Do you agree?
03-20-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sales and units sold are not the same thing?
No not at all. Sell one D850 and you sold one unit, sell 10 you sold 10 'units'. Sales are retail price times the number of units.

So one D850 at $3,200 is the same as eight Coolpix P900 at $400 when you add up 'sales'. But you only sold one unit of D850 but eight P900 for the same amount of money total.

So if the list is ranked by "unit sales" then that is the number of boxes or units sold. But if it is ranked by sales dollars then that is units times retail price. I think that explains why the D850, Sony A7III and Canon 5D are in the top of the rankings, not because of units sold but because they are so expensive per unit. Therefore more money.
03-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't write for writing, but I don't think anyone who writes for an international photography magazine is deliberately exposed to such gross errors.
You don't think so, we live in a spy period ''facebook is just the tip of the iceberg''. Here we write and express ideas freely, can we believe or not?
Do you agree?
No, I don't, Maw.

The internet and this forum, IMHO, are not a licence to you to write anything and claim it's true.

We have an obligation to our fellow camera owners to post accurate information.

Your list isn't - and can't be - the top ten selling cameras in Japan.

Not even CIPA knows those figures.
03-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #28
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No not at all. Sell one D850 and you sold one unit, sell 10 you sold 10 'units'. Sales are retail price times the number of units.
Well, I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding, by unit I mean a camera, a car, an ice cream and so on. If there is one ranking for me it means that more units of one brand have been sold than another,
I read it like this. Then you can obviously interpret it in the way you want. Otherwise you should call it "Turnover", I'm not sure that it is said so.
Correct me if the term is not correct.

---------- Post added 21-03-18 at 02:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Your list isn't - and can't be - the top ten selling cameras in Japan.
It is not my list, it is the list that has been communicated to me like so much news that I know and you know, not for this reason you must transcend.
Those who give me this information know what they are saying, also because they are published in various magazines.
Who is the fool who writes knowing that he will then lose many readers or will expose himself to public shame?

Last edited by maw; 03-20-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: edit
03-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Who is the fool who writes knowing that he will then lose many readers or will expose himself to public shame?
Well, you just exposed yourself!

This was one camera store's list with no legal reporting requirements, yet that's not how you treated it.
03-20-2018, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding, by unit I mean a camera, a car, an ice cream and so on. If there is one ranking for me it means that more units of one brand have been sold than another,
In that case I'm going to politely disbelieve that chart / list / whatever. I do not think that information is correct. No disrespect meant to you personally but something is incorrect. It is generally believed that FF cameras make up about 7 to 10% of the DSLR market yet your chart shows a predominance of FF cameras in the top brackets. Sorry, I just don't buy that. If it was ranked by dollar volume OK, maybe. But by units? No.