Flickr is doomed!

Burp!

Steve

04-20-2018, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
pBase looks better and better, lousy interface and all.
I wonder if there is an automated way to "emasculate" my account with a bulk replacement of all images with a generic "I'm outa here message" with a link to where ever I decide to keep them next.

The dumb thing is that I supposedly have the skills to write my own gallery site and even have the AWS account to host it on.

Steve
04-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
My account isn't free, I pay a fee per year to have the Pro account.
I am of course well aware of "PRO" Flickr accounts.

I've always had a "FREE" Flickr account.

I expect that the majority of all Flickr users have "free" accounts...
04-20-2018, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My account isn't free, I pay a fee per year to have the Pro account.
Likewise - I've had a Pro account since 2007 or so. The features and pricing on a SmugMug 'Basic' account look to be about the same as a flickr 'Pro', except for those of us who have been paying grandfather'ed prices for the grandfathered tier - but honestly, I thought that would go away years ago.

I thought targeted ads were the whole point of the "free" flickr accounts. That seems to go against SmugMug's philosophy, but the majority of flickr accounts are the free type, according to this USAToday article, so something will have to change:

SmugMug snaps up Flickr photo service from Verizon's Oath

I don't know, Don MacAskill is at least making the right noises. I always thought Verizon would sell flickr - or just pull the plug.

Darn - this is the point where Rupert would always rant about the time flickr messed up his account. Now I *am* sad.

Last edited by THoog; 04-20-2018 at 07:13 PM.
04-20-2018, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Darn - this is the point where Rupert would always rant about the time flickr messed up his account. Now I *am* sad.
Flickr didn't mess up his account, it was Photobucket that messed up his and a few others when they decided to charge an enormous amount for having a Photobucket account.
04-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I expect that the majority of all Flickr users have "free" accounts...
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Likewise - I've had a Pro account since 2007 or so.
I have been "Pro" since about 2009 as have most of the serious users in my circle of photo friends. If I share, I don't want those that follow the link to click out on an ad.

Steve
04-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Whatcha wanna bet SmugMug's first action will be to disable Flickrs' APIs?

Steve

04-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flickr didn't mess up his account, it was Photobucket that messed up his and a few others when they decided to charge an enormous amount for having a Photobucket account.
I thought he had password problems with flickr at one point, but I'm not going to search through THAT thread (you know the one) to verify. I remember the Photobucket fiasco.
04-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flickr keeps messing with its default presentation settings. It used to be easier to keep up with friends' photostreams but not so much now. This killed a lot of the easy social interaction on the site. Smugmug may be worse but I will wait and see. And I have been Pro account forever.
04-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is the notice I received by email about 1:30h ago

QuoteQuote:
We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.
SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,
The Flickr Team
I am not happy...

Does SmugMug has a publishing service in Lr ?

I may be tempted to switch to 500px instead...
04-20-2018, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wonder if there is an automated way to "emasculate" my account with a bulk replacement of all images with a generic "I'm outa here message" with a link to where ever I decide to keep them next.

The dumb thing is that I supposedly have the skills to write my own gallery site and even have the AWS account to host it on.

Steve
This kind of thing is why PF is the only Social Media I do, and why I don’t post photos ( every 36 months or so you have to move everything), but if you get a gallery site going I’m in.

USA Today Article

Last edited by monochrome; 04-21-2018 at 08:53 AM.
04-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

A FAQ about the transition at smugmug: Together, SmugMug + Flickr | Frequently Asked Questions

From my quick read, it looks like no major changes. The email sent to users just looks like a notice that you're going to need to accept smugmugs terms of service at the transition, otherwise it looks like it will be flickr as usual. They aren't integrating flickr into smugmug, they are remaining separate services.

Things may change of course.
04-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I never got any email from them (smugmug) so I don't know what changes they're talking about, but under their FAQs, this was one of the frequently asked questions:

QuoteQuote:
What will happen to my Flickr account? What will happen to my Smugmug account?
Absolutely nothing. Flickr and SmugMug will continue to operate separately, just as both have been. Your SmugMug and Flickr accounts will remain separate and independent for the foreseeable future.

Both Flickr and SmugMug users will continue to log in with their current credentials and you will have the same experience you are used to. If things do change in the future for Flickr, we’ll be as transparent as possible about the process and give you as much notice as we can about the issues that will matter to you.
04-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a big bummer. I've had a flickr account for over 12 years and have always enjoyed it. I've never had a ugglug account because I've never liked it over there... Oh well. Hopefully it'll improve.
04-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never got any email from them (smugmug)
I haven't either, but reading through the terms of service, nothing jumped out at me as a huge change.

These were from the flickr Blog faq:
QuoteQuote:
What are SmugMug’s plans for Flickr? Will the products be merged?
SmugMug loves Flickr and they want us to keep on being Flickr. There is no plan to merge the products. As we spend more time with the SmugMug team, we hope to find ways to coordinate our development work and provide two great destinations dedicated to visual storytellers and creatives.

Will my Flickr Pro subscription change?
You’ll remain a Flickr Pro member and continue to enjoy all the benefits of a Pro membership. We’ve just started offering a 45-day free trial for new Pros who sign up for a yearly subscription. We’re also extending this offer to folks who may have been Pro in the past and want to come back to give it a try. Learn more on our Pro page.
And this was on the SmugMug faq:
QuoteQuote:
Will Flickr continue to offer a free version? Will Flickr’s price change?
Absolutely. Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.