Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The email sent to users
I have not received such email, yet I have had a Pro account at Flickr for quite some time.

Not really sure about what's going to happen regarding the annual fee charged (by Flickr for a Pro account) ... will S.M. charge the same, different or boost their pricing up to my disgust ?
Worst case scenario would be to have to move all my pic's posted there ... but would that be possible?
I know that one can download his/her own "original" size pic's but does anyone know if this can be done in a batch format (i.e.: all at once)?
Anyway, I'll browse their FAQ's and see what other users are saying.

---------- Post added 04-20-18 at 10:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
If things do change in the future for Flickr, we’ll be as transparent as possible about the process and give you as much notice as we can about the issues that will matter to you.
And I would bet this is exactly what's going to happen.

04-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
This is the notice I received by email about 1:30h ago

I am not happy...

Does SmugMug has a publishing service in Lr ?

I may be tempted to switch to 500px instead...
The FAQ says nothing is going to change but the quoted email (which I have yet to receive) says you have until May 25 2018 to back up and delete your account after which everything will be transferred to Smugmug.
04-20-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #33
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flickr has been a moving ball for a long time, primarily these were the 'improvements' to the interface that have been both good and bad. It certainly looks nothing like it did when I joined a decade ago.

Interestingly after reading this thread I jumped over to my Yahoo inbox but there was no email. I then went to Flickr and went looking for info. Nothing new over what's already been discussed but what I did find was they've used one of my images on their Flickr pro ad page (I'm noompty on Flickr):

This image is at the top of my photo stream page. They've grabbed the image and added the rest to suit their purposes, so ta for raising my profile but dropping me a line would have been nice. If nothing else, the silver lining is yay a Pentax photo is the only attributed Flickr photo on the Flickr pro ad page.

Tas

Edit: Gizmodo article about the change includes the following:

In an FAQ about the deal posted by SmugMug, the company said that it plans to allow Flickr to continue to operate as its own, standalone platform. Existing Flickr accounts will continue to work same as they ever have, both for free users and Flickr Pro subscribers. SmugMug did note that over time, it will migrate Flickr onto SmugMug's technology infrastructure and will port user photos over to the platform as part of that move, but the photos will remain accessible on Flickr.

Flickr users will also be subject to SmugMug's terms of service and privacy policy and will have 30 days to either accept the new terms or opt out. Users who do nothing will automatically opt-in to SmugMug's terms. Those who choose to opt out will have to delete their Flickr account and retrieve any photos on the platform or risk losing them forever.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/04/flickr-takes-another-sad-turn-gets-bought...alled-smugmug/

Last edited by Tas; 04-20-2018 at 11:34 PM.
04-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Anyone use the free section of 500px? Any issues with the site? Any issues with sharing photos? If eventually flickr dicontinues their free service i might consider that site.

04-20-2018, 11:26 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
USAToday broke the story, and in it, the SmugMug CEO said:

QuoteQuote:
“It sounds silly for the CEO not to totally know what he’s going to do, but we haven’t built SmugMug on a master plan either. We try to listen to our customers and when enough of them ask for something that’s important to them or to the community, we go and build it,” he said.
Anyone can screw something up, but I can't imagine that Verizon wouldn't have eventually screwed Flickr up more than anyone else could (except maybe Comcast). SmugMug is a private company, so that will at least preclude shareholder pressures on Flickr.

What is the song on the Flickr home page? Did they write it just for this merger announcement?
04-20-2018, 11:27 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

I noticed this just now. I've never used Smugmug but have used Flickr for a number of years (free account) and have not had any problems with the service - for me it's an ideal combination of hosting photos along with a social side (groups) so I hope that doesn't change.

Now if Flickr is DOOMED combined with Pentax being DOOMED then I'm really in for trouble
04-21-2018, 12:36 AM - 8 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Since being involved in the Photobucket fiasco I don't trust any of them.

I started hosting my own images on-line and I have promised myself I will not raise my fees for doing so nor will I sell out to anyone else.

So far I have been thrilled with my service.

04-21-2018, 03:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So when will they take hostage our images and force us to pay $4 a month to keep them online? Too bad Google doesn't allow external sharing. Maybe look out for a silent fan less NAS with SSD storage, so I can host at home and be done with it.
04-21-2018, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
This image is at the top of my photo stream page. They've grabbed the image and added the rest to suit their purposes, so ta for raising my profile but dropping me a line would have been nice. If nothing else, the silver lining is yay a Pentax photo is the only attributed Flickr photo on the Flickr pro ad page.
When I visit that page not logged in to flickr, it shows "Taylor Everett" in that block (with a photo from the uploadr section). When I visit the pro ad page while logged into flickr it shows my image and name in that spot.

They're just trying get you to try out having 'flickr pro' under your name, but it's a bit like forcing you to try on a new pair of virtual pants so it's kinda creepy.
04-21-2018, 04:56 AM   #40

Has anyone else received this email quoted in the following post? I've checked both my yahoo account associated with my flickr account and flickr email and have not found it:

SmugMug Swallows Flickr - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

According to the quoted email on May 25th all Flickr accounts will be migrated to SmugMug. If you don't want to move over to Smugmug you have until May 25 to delete your Flickr account. You have until then to download anything you want to keep.

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 04:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
This is the notice I received by email about 1:30h ago

I am not happy...

Does SmugMug has a publishing service in Lr ?

I may be tempted to switch to 500px instead...
Where was this email sent to? Your Flickr mailbox or your Yahoo mailbox? I checked both several times and haven't seen this message.
04-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #41
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

got the email from SmugMug - so far no changes except the donut icon, but I'm not holding my breath...

I've never seen the benefit of a 'pro' account, since it does not increase the amount of space available and everything else offered in the 'pro' package isn't useful to me...

I wouldn't mind an annual fee for storage, as long as it actually nets me something....
04-21-2018, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe this is just the push I need to get my Rockstor NAS up and running.

I saw the donuts, and it made me hungry. I just thought it was a sneaky ad from dunkin donuts.
04-21-2018, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've never seen the benefit of a 'pro' account, since it does not increase the amount of space available and everything else offered in the 'pro' package isn't useful to me...
Those of us grandfathered into the old pro account get unlimited storage in addition to ad-free browsing and sharing...the stats are pretty cool too.
04-21-2018, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

I just switched to flickr from Phoobucket. I looked at Sugmug and chose not to go that route. I don't really see them as similar services so I can't imagine merging them. But hey, that's just me.
04-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #45
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
When I visit that page not logged in to flickr, it shows "Taylor Everett" in that block (with a photo from the uploadr section). When I visit the pro ad page while logged into flickr it shows my image and name in that spot.

They're just trying get you to try out having 'flickr pro' under your name, but it's a bit like forcing you to try on a new pair of virtual pants so it's kinda creepy.
I already have a pro account but if they're doing the targeted thing by using the logged in persons image then I feel less special, just like when I got married.

Oh, if you search that 'Taylor Everett' there's no public images with that profile.

Tas