Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the email at 2:22am (US EDT = UTC-4) It was sent to the address that I have set as my contact email (Account settings, Email & Notifications tab).

04-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I already have a pro account but if they're doing the targeted thing by using the logged in persons image then I feel less special, just like when I got married.
Maybe flickr is hoping you'll renew your vows? On the plus side, Smugmug now knows who you are and might start hitting on you in a few months. That should boost the old ego.

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 09:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Has anyone else received this email quoted in the following post? I've checked both my yahoo account associated with my flickr account and flickr email and have not found it:...
Yes, I have, at Fri, 20 Apr 2018 18:01:59 -0700 (PDT). I've seen it posted elsewhere too. Flickr has millions of users, how quickly can bulk emails be sent out?

And again, I don't see anything implying that flickr is going to be merged into Smugmug. It looks like they will be separate services, and the email is giving an opt-out if you don't like the new flickr owners ToS.

Last edited by BrianR; 04-21-2018 at 06:32 AM.
04-21-2018, 07:05 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm relaxed about it. (Although I haven't tried reading the new ToS yet.) I'd rather see Flickr as part of a photography-related business than whatever Yahoo! is. I'm certainly glad they weren't acquired by Google! The little donut icon looks pretty bad, though.
04-21-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I didn’t know anything about Smugmug until this news broke. So I went online and setup a trial account. I was expecting to see a social media site and was not very happy with what I saw at first. I was looking for other members and photos and how members interact. Then I realized it was more of an eCommerce site rather social media.

I’m not a business major but I can see a way that the 2 sites can compliment each other. With using Flickr and it’s social aspects as their entry level offering. Next step up would be the current Flickr Pro with the addition of Smugmugs file management tools. From there you start moving into different levels of Smugmug’s eCommerce offerings.

Just my 2 cents.

04-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone else received this email quoted in the following post? I've checked both my yahoo account associated with my flickr account and flickr email and have not found it:

Where was this email sent to? Your Flickr mailbox or your Yahoo mailbox? I checked both several times and haven't seen this message.
Hi, I have 2 Flickr accounts. One free account (for fishing stuff) and one Pro for my photography stream. I have received the email in both gmail accounts that were associated with those flickr accounts (and not to the yahoo email acos I use for logging).

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
...It was sent to the address that I have set as my contact email (Account settings, Email & Notifications tab).
Exatcly...!

Last edited by Weevil; 04-21-2018 at 07:33 AM.
04-21-2018, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I didn’t know anything about Smugmug until this news broke. So I went online and setup a trial account. I was expecting to see a social media site and was not very happy with what I saw at first. I was looking for other members and photos and how members interact. Then I realized it was more of an eCommerce site rather social media.

I’m not a business major but I can see a way that the 2 sites can compliment each other. With using Flickr and it’s social aspects as their entry level offering. Next step up would be the current Flickr Pro with the addition of Smugmugs file management tools. From there you start moving into different levels of Smugmug’s eCommerce offerings.

Just my 2 cents.
Smugmug is a quite good photo storage website for users who want more control over how their images are presented than a site like Flickr. It serves hobby level people, and pros, with lots of options for sharing images with clients, printing, etc. I've used it for many years. My biggest complaint is they haven't integrated a blog feature.

I've also used Flickr Pro for years. To me, the two might mix well together. It certainly has to be better than Verizon owning Flickr, or some vulture capitalist firm.

My best guess is they saw an opportunity to add a much needed social network feature to Smugmug, and also an opportunity to acquire a ton of potential customers for their various plans. Now if they end any free option at Flickr, then I'd start complaining, but that would kill their golden goose, I think.
04-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #52
Forum Member

this is what flickr/smug mug states on their site (faq)

What will happen to my Flickr account? What will happen to my Smugmug account?
Absolutely nothing. Flickr and SmugMug will continue to operate separately, just as both have been. Your SmugMug and Flickr accounts will remain separate and independent for the foreseeable future.
Both Flickr and SmugMug users will continue to log in with their current credentials and you will have the same experience you are used to. If things do change in the future for Flickr, we’ll be as transparent as possible about the process and give you as much notice as we can about the issues that will matter to you.

I hope this will hold true!

04-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
And again, I don't see anything implying that flickr is going to be merged into Smugmug. It looks like they will be separate services, and the email is giving an opt-out if you don't like the new flickr owners ToS.
QuoteQuote:
We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.
Maybe it is just how I'm reading it, that they will migrate your photos and account to be hosted on the existing SmugMug site. I suppose it could be read as Flickr becoming a subsidiary of Smugmug subject to their "ownership" and TOS.
04-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I got the email at 2:22am (US EDT = UTC-4) It was sent to the address that I have set as my contact email (Account settings, Email & Notifications tab).
Same here - the message was sent to my contact email. I actually got the email last night around 9 pm CDT. I'm not too concerned about the changes. Been a Free Account holder for many years. No ads using Adblock Origin.

Last edited by paulh; 04-21-2018 at 09:26 AM.
04-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never got an email at my mac.com email address. That is the one listed as my primary on Flickr. I never got one at my gmail address either. That one is registered with both Flickr and Yahoo, but I can't figure out how to make it my primary on Flickr...Doesn't matter much longer...
04-21-2018, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Ho hum. I think I'd rather Flickr be owned by SmugMug than Verizon, but time will tell. For now, the whole Flickr team is moving over, so it's very much business as usual. I imagine eventually my Flickr account will decouple from my Yahoo account, which will be a bit of a bother, but no biggie...
04-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #57
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteQuote:
There will be changes -- starting with the separation from Yahoo's login system -- but nothing done without hearing what Flickr users want and need. "I'm going to listen to what they want and then build it," he said.

Great.

Looks like I'm getting locked out of my account again.

The last time ownership changed hands it somehow locked me out and it was more than a year before I could make contact with someone who was able to help me and not just regurgitate the same useless help suggestions.
04-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Maybe it is just how I'm reading it, that they will migrate your photos and account to be hosted on the existing SmugMug site. I suppose it could be read as Flickr becoming a subsidiary of Smugmug subject to their "ownership" and TOS.
I would agree the email is somewhat vague and could be open to your interpretation. The FAQ I linked to earlier, especially the part bavd quoted above, is much clearer.

This isn't to say that their plans won't change down the road, but I'd have a hard time believing it would be an abrupt absorbtion and not a gradual alignment of features or some other type of increased inter-site linkage.
04-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Has anyone else received this email quoted in the following post?
No, I have not.

Steve
04-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bavd Quote
this is what flickr/smug mug states on their site (faq)
...which is at odds with with the notice that came up on Flickr yesterday which concisely stated that Flickr accounts will be migrated to SmugMug. What that means is hard to say.

Steve