Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #91

With Photobucket you used to be able to download albums (even those not your own) as a zip file. Now it looks like a paid for feature. I still have my free Photobucket account. I was going to upload them to Flickr it was too much work to download each image one at a time and even more work to find them and upload from my archive disks. Since I use an image host primarily to share photos in forum posts a paid service isn't worth it for me. Photobucket still works for this as long as the viewer is using Chrome or Firefox with the appropriate plug-in.

I was never a fan of Flickr to begin with. Imgur still has free options.

04-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks !
BTW, the linked site (not Flickr) has produced an alert from my AV software.
So, I have just Google'd "Flickr Bulk Download" (using some of the wording from your link) and got to the "Flickr Downloader" ... as per here: flickr downloadr - Batch download your flickr photos!
Would that be the same thing?
It's probably easiest to select 5000 photos in Batch Organize and send them to a new album. You can then download a .zip file with those 5000 photos. I have 7513 files so I would need 2 albums...Downloading from Camera Roll is limited to 500 at a time...

But that application would probably work too...
04-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's probably easiest to select 5000 photos in Batch Organize and send them to a new album. You can then download a .zip file with those 5000 photos. I have 7513 files so I would need 2 albums...Downloading from Camera Roll is limited to 500 at a time...

But that application would probably work too...
Sound like a good plan.
Thanks again for the info.
04-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I hope they don't do what photobucket did to some members here.
I was one of the "some". What a mess that was.

04-23-2018, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What I do know is that SmugMug users on this site seem to have a difficult time sharing photos posted there.
On the contrary, Smugmug's sharing tools are superb and easy to use. I use them all the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
2. Modify the Flickr user agreement to allow Smugmug the rights to sell prints and license images of the photographs that we post on Flickr
Smugmug is not in the business of appropriating your photos. Quite the contrary, their main business is offering a platform for pro photographers to build, host and maintain their website. Alienating their business would make little sense.

What they're more likely to do is tie in their printing service within Flickr.
04-23-2018, 05:13 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I finally got the eMail about 10 minutes ago.
04-23-2018, 05:34 AM   #97
Pentaxian

From the notice I received yesterday

QuoteQuote:
We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.
Flickr running one Smugmug servers is what it looks like to me.

04-23-2018, 06:29 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
From the notice I received yesterday

Flickr running one Smugmug servers is what it looks like to me.
I got my email last night and this was my take on it also.

I had a Zenfolio account for years, until my Pro plan went from $99 to $240 a year. Which made little sense to me considering the thousands they made from me with their printing service. I have a 500px, but I don’t use it, I just don’t find it as good as Flickr or some others.

I’m just glad I didn’t get too caught up in the photobucket fiasco.
04-23-2018, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

I have a pro account on Flickr. When I heard that SmugMug purchased Flickr I checked SmugMug out. Very expensive membership fees. I'm concerned that my annual pro account fee will increase to the point that I can't afford it. I presently have thousands of images on Flickr. Hate to lose what I like about Flickr. I'm hoping for positives, but may have to move somewhere else.
04-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The only thing that has changed so far is the donut icon at the top of the page that takes you to SmugMug.

I'm sure at some point logins will be separated from your Yahoo account...They'll probably screw those of us who are grandfathered in to the Pro accounts...
almost definitely , i need to read terms because they gave basically 32 days for you to download and close accounts if you don't like smug mug terms, total BS move that is
04-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #101
Pentaxian

I never read terms. Somebody will and write about why I should leave or stay.
04-23-2018, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Think about this:
  • (Assume) It cost Yahoo! something to run Flickr
  • (Assume) Verizon didn’t want to absorb that cost
  • (Assume) SmugMug paid something to acquire Flickr (even if their ‘payment’ is only future cost assumption)
  • (Assume) SmugMug doesn’t want to absorb that cost
  • Therefore, SmugMug will charge something for Flickr or SmugMug will be bankrupt.
Just be prepared to pay for what you get.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-23-2018 at 08:19 AM.
04-23-2018, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just read through most of the TOS and privacy policy. (Skimmed some of it.) It all looks reasonable enough, though IANAL. I'm skeptical about their claim to have trademarked the "look and feel" of the services, but I guess that's a common practice, whether or not it is really enforceable.
04-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I have a pro account on Flickr. When I heard that SmugMug purchased Flickr I checked SmugMug out. Very expensive membership fees. I'm concerned that my annual pro account fee will increase to the point that I can't afford it. I presently have thousands of images on Flickr. Hate to lose what I like about Flickr. I'm hoping for positives, but may have to move somewhere else.
Are you seeing different prices from what I am seeing? A SmugMug 'Basic' account is US$47.88/year, and the current price for a Flickr 'Pro' account is US$49.99/year.

A Basic account is roughly the same level of service as a Flickr Pro account (unlimited storage, unlimited uploads). Flickr doesn't offer anything like the higher-tier SmugMug offerings (custom website, personal URL, custom code, etc.).
04-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Are you seeing different prices from what I am seeing? A SmugMug 'Basic' account is US$47.88/year, and the current price for a Flickr 'Pro' account is US$49.99/year.

A Basic account is roughly the same level of service as a Flickr Pro account (unlimited storage, unlimited uploads). Flickr doesn't offer anything like the higher-tier SmugMug offerings (custom website, personal URL, custom code, etc.).
Those of us who have grandfathered Flickr Pro accounts pay $24.95/year for unlimited storage and ad-free browsing/sharing...So we'll probably be paying twice as much...