Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #151

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
This image is at the top of my photo stream page. They've grabbed the image and added the rest to suit their purposes, so ta for raising my profile but dropping me a line would have been nice. If nothing else, the silver lining is yay a Pentax photo is the only attributed Flickr photo on the Flickr pro ad page.
it's autogenerated for each user – everybody sees one of their own images in that slot.

06-26-2018, 06:14 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess being able to use low-res, watermarked images won't be a major issue, even when I become a famous photographer! (not)

...unless it's one of those times I forget to watermark them... :-/
06-26-2018, 06:33 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lets hope there's good changes in the future for Flickr
06-26-2018, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #154

anything's better than yahoo ownership.

06-27-2018, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will confess that I have been puzzled by all of the angst over this. I think most of us who have been using Smugmug have been pretty happy with the service. Flickr has been on life support under Yahoo so there is little likelihood of things getting worse and every likelihood of improvement.
07-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #156
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
So does anyone know the status of the Smugmug takeover?

I've been having some troubles with Flickr the last week or so, and the user supported help forum there is no help at all.
07-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

I've been having some troubles with Flickr the last week or so, and the user supported help forum there is no help at all.
My impression is that it is a done deal. Look to Smugmug for help.

07-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Logins will eventually switch over to Smugmug the same way you had to switch from the old Flickr login to Yahoo some years ago...
07-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #159
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I use to have a Flickr pro account. Had issues where I wasn’t receiving notifications from Flickr. Tried to contact support and they were useless. So if I couldn’t get support why should I pay them money. No more pro account.

When SmugMug purchased Flickr I had a long talk with one of their reps. It was a great conversation. One of my questions was could I expect this type of support for Flickr. Unfortunately the answer was no. There are currently no plans at the moment to change Flickr.
07-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #160
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Well the pink and blue donuts are gone. And no information about the impending change.

But there is still information about jobs at Flickr offering the Yahoo benefits package. I suppose they are still porting everything over to the SmugServers or something like that.

I read that Flickr hosts and serves billions of images, so it must take time to gather them all up and carry them to the new SmugDigs.
07-07-2018, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well the pink and blue donuts are gone. And no information about the impending change.

But there is still information about jobs at Flickr offering the Yahoo benefits package. I suppose they are still porting everything over to the SmugServers or something like that.

I read that Flickr hosts and serves billions of images, so it must take time to gather them all up and carry them to the new SmugDigs.
SmugMug would need to buy or lease and set up massive quantities of new storage servers. It would make more sense to just buy (or assume the leases for) flickr’s servers, code a new back-end port from SmugMug and leave the files where they are.

.:
07-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Smugmug CEO has said they will not change Flickr now. No way to see the future but he has said several times that they see the future in maintaining both platforms for different users or purposes.
07-10-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The Smugmug CEO has said they will not change Flickr now. No way to see the future but he has said several times that they see the future in maintaining both platforms for different users or purposes.
Is that kind of like Adobe saying they would keep the stand alone version of Lightroom indefinitely?

I agree with you 100%, but I could not resit the comparison. For now there is nothing to get worked up about. If/when they do make changes, I am inclined to believe those changes are more likely to be improvements.
07-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Is that kind of like Adobe saying they would keep the stand alone version of Lightroom indefinitely?
There is a stand alone version of Lightroom indefinitely. Lightroom 6...and no upgrades forever...

Lightroom as an desktop app is really at the end of its road. Lightroom as a cloud based service is the future.
07-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Lightroom as a cloud based service is the future.
Nobody ever asked for that. It isn't even cloud based, it runs locally. its locked into the cloud because that way people will pay for it instead of pirate it.