Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 02:36 AM   #1

Is the main reason Pentax was unable to publish DFA*50 the obstruction of Hoya?

When Hoya sold Pentax to Ricoh, he did not sell the lens production factory. Ricoh Pentax To Produce Lenses Must Pass Hoya's Lens Factory. At the same time, hoya is still the major shareholder of Tokina. This is why Pentax's DA*16-50,DA10-17,DA*50-135 have a Tokina version with the same optical structure. Since PENTAX was acquired by Ricoh in 2012, there were no Pentax-intrinsed lenses released except for a few lenses that worked with Tamron. Because hoya always holds Pentax's patent rights. The difficult production of DFA*50 had a lot to do with hoya's intentional obstruction. Hoya once again awarded Pentax's lens patents to Tokina (New Tokina 50/1.4). It is foreseeable that hoya will not produce DFA*50 for Pentax before the launch of Tokina 50/1.4 in June.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-27-2018 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Title edited to question rather than statement of fact
04-27-2018, 02:43 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this is made up information. Pentax does have its own lens production facility and has had since the sale from Hoya to Ricoh. Current lenses have nothing to do with Hoya or Hoya facilities at all.

It is pretty clear that Pentax owns the patents to most of the lenses that are/were produced by Tokina as well (the exception being the DA 12-24 f4). These optical formulas were licensed to Tokina as will the optical formula for the DFA *50. Production and externals of each lens will be decided by Tokina and Pentax and will be produced in their own production facilities. Since the optical formula has been known for some time and Pentax actually has completed lenses out there, what we are seeing now has more to do with the time necessary to build up a stock of lenses than anything else.

I understand that you are probably just trolling, but this really is so far from factual it is hard to know where to begin.
04-27-2018, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

No source means conjecture and I agree with Rondec.
04-27-2018, 03:09 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's your evidence for any of this, Cpysz?

Are you saying that Hoya still owns the Pentax lens factory in Vietnam?

If you make serious claims, you need to present serious proof - let's hear it.

04-27-2018, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've edited the thread title to a question rather than a statement
04-27-2018, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Hoya indeed keep hold of old Asashi Optical Hq in Mashiko, Japan, and still operates from that plant as their medical ventures goes. But camera and optics production was moved out of Japan as early as the Hoya-Asahi merge was taking place back in 2007/8. Ricoh runs their own production form Philippines(camera) and Vietnam(optics) plants as I am aware, and there is no Hoya ventures involved.
04-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think one or more lenses are also made assembled in the Philippines (I believe the 16-85).

04-27-2018, 04:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, of course. And all of cameras/lenses are designated as "assembled in" Philippnes/Vietnam rather than "made in". When production was run in Japan, lenses/boxes etc was all labeled as MIJ. Dunno if there is any OEM manufacturer orgin stated on current production, no one I'm aware of.
04-27-2018, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just basic logic makes this nonsensical. Why would Ricoh buy a company that couldn't produce it's core product?

However, the more I learn about Hoya, the more firmly I feel I'll never buy another filter or accessory from them.

Last edited by clickclick; 04-27-2018 at 04:54 AM. Reason: non-nonsensical - ugh! need more coffee
04-27-2018, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
the more I learn about Hoya, the more firmly I feel I'll never buy another filter or accessory from them.
I'm not a vindictive person, but I've come o the same conclusion - it's a shame that Hoya kept the Pentax name for their medical gear - the only solution I can see is for Ricoh to buy Hoya and put Pentax back together again
04-27-2018, 04:36 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Don't bother. The OP is used to this kind of nonsensical statements.

About the upgrade service for Pentax K-1 owners:
QuoteOriginally posted by cpysz123 Quote
Only in North American and Asian. I never find the same announce in European
Why Ricoh only announced K1 update service in North America and Asia, but not in Euro

Ricoh announced a K1 updated service for old K1 user update their camera to K1 market II. But why this service in North America, Japan and China?
Ricoh want to give up theri users in European?
Three nonsensical messages out of five so far. Good score!
04-27-2018, 04:52 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm not a vindictive person, but I've come o the same conclusion - it's a shame that Hoya kept the Pentax name for their medical gear - the only solution I can see is for Ricoh to buy Hoya and put Pentax back together again
Nor I (vindictive), but after learning more of what appears to be the ruthless takeover and gutting of Pentax, I'd rather invest my money with others. It's back to the old vote with your feet and leave if you don't like the show.

I'd love to see Pentax reunited, but with the limited information I've had (and that's always problematic), it looks like the medical side was the money maker Hoya was after.

And as always, I try to keep an open mind to new factual information. I hate this conjecture stuff.
04-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #13
Banned

Hoya produces lens elements and those are bought by many different company's. Also Ricoh-Imaging that makes lenses with it. It's a business that sells lens elements and not complete lenses as we buy them in stores.
04-27-2018, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

When Hoya sold Pentax to Ricoh, he did not sell the lens production factory. Ricoh Pentax To Produce Lenses Must Pass Hoya's Lens Factory. At the same time, hoya is still the major shareholder of Tokina. This is why Pentax's DA*16-50,DA10-17,DA*50-135 have a Tokina version with the same optical structure. Since PENTAX was acquired by Ricoh in 2012, there were no Pentax-intrinsed lenses released except for a few lenses that worked with Tamron. Because hoya always holds Pentax's patent rights. The difficult production of DFA*50 had a lot to do with hoya's intentional obstruction. Hoya once again awarded Pentax's lens patents to Tokina (New Tokina 50/1.4). It is foreseeable that hoya will not produce DFA*50 for Pentax before the launch of Tokina 50/1.4 in June.
What a load of nonsense! Every bit of it.
I wonder what motivates the OP to make up such cr*p and post it publicly.

Pentax' camera and lens factories are under Ricoh's control.
Kenko-Tokina is not using Ricoh Imaging's production facilities.
The Pentax-Tokina collaboration started before Hoya took over Pentax Corporation.
Pentax Imaging Business was acquired by Ricoh in 2011.
Ricoh Imaging launched several Pentax lenses, including the D FA* 70-200, D FA 150-450, D FA 28-105.
Ricoh Imaging holds their own patents: ??????????????????? 2018?
The difficult production of D FA*50 has nothing to do with Hoya and was explained here: Development update regarding the HD PENTAX-D FA<sup>?</sup>50mmF1.4 SDM AW (Tentative name)?RICOH IMAGING
Hoya cannot award Ricoh Imaging's patents to Tokina. Tokina does not own the patent for the Pentax D FA* 50mm f/1.4.
It cannot be foreseable that Hoya would produce or not the D FA* for Pentax because they're not involved at all.

Mike, should we tolerate such garbage?
04-27-2018, 05:50 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very special fantasies...What is the main idea of such misinformation?

The Pentax patents are Ricoh's patents now.
The factories in Philippines and Vietnam belong to Ricoh. Ricoh had also own factory in China.
There are several developed and producing lenses by Ricoh without Tamron or Tokina.
Closed Thread