Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2018, 03:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Print Pricing

I recently submitted some prints into a local photography competition and have been contacted by a member of the public who'd like to buy one. I'm after some guidance as what percentage over printing costs is considered fair and reasonable for both the buyer and myself.

This will be a one off as the buyer has a personal connection to the image subject and I'm an amateur. I was thinking cost plus a carton.

Thoughts?

05-11-2018, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How big is the print?

What would you be willing to pay for a similar print?

Regards

Chris
05-11-2018, 05:09 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

My printer has suggested the following base guideline: multiply your material cost (printing and framing) by three - 1/3 will cover your costs, 1/3 pays for your work, and the last 1/3 is for investment (future printing/framing, gear).
05-11-2018, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
My printer has suggested the following base guideline: multiply your material cost (printing and framing) by three - 1/3 will cover your costs, 1/3 pays for your work, and the last 1/3 is for investment (future printing/framing, gear).
This is good advice. The print would be large, so 'cost and a carton' isn't far off if I regard the last 1/3 as being unwarranted being a once off. For this print, for me it works out to be 2x material cost.

05-11-2018, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I'm after some guidance as what percentage over printing costs is considered fair and reasonable for both the buyer and myself.
I was thinking cost plus a carton.
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
multiply your material cost (printing and framing) by three - 1/3 will cover your costs, 1/3 pays for your work, and the last 1/3 is for investment (future printing/framing, gear).
This is always a tough one as you don't want to undersell you and your work's value, but also want to be fair to your "patron". I would agree with the x3 formula as the minimum. Here's why:

You can't and shouldn't think of your "cost" as only the fee you pay a lab/printer and framer. Unless you shot it with your cell phone, it's naive and a disservice to perpetuate the myth that your cost was only the out-of-pocket to print and frame it.

I know many of us are flattered when someone wants to own and hang our work. I understand that most of us shoot because it is our passion and pleasure, so we feel somewhat guilty of "profiting" from a sole fan.
But unless you really just want to gift this to the "buyer", YOU asked for guidance as to what was fair for BOTH the buyer and yourself and pricing at cost is not fair to you.

Another way to think of a fair price: What would it cost the buyer to hire a photographer to shoot, print, and frame something similar to what you shot?
05-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Another way to think of a fair price: What would it cost the buyer to hire a photographer to shoot, print, and frame something similar to what you shot?
I've was thinking carefully about this. The particular circumstances are such that I reckon the 2x is the right price For the same image but a different person I'd go with 3x.

All the advice given has been really helpful, thanks to all.
05-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a perennial question with no concise answer because there are so many factors that determine the final answer.
IF you are paying a commercial printer to have it printed then your 2X formula is going to be pricey....because the printer is factoring in all his costs plus profit, no argument with that....and that is going to vary significantly from printer to printer, again dependant on types of paper etce etc etc.
I ask people who ask me that question....do you want to sell it or store it ? If you want to sell it, be happy to cover your costs plus whatever margin you think you can wring out of it.
If you want to store it (unsold)....charge more...the "market" will soon let you know.
Good Luck.

05-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
Thoughts?
I have been trying to figure this one out for a long time. For a situation like yours, 3X makes sense. As Alex645 mentioned, you have to factor in personal costs such as your equipment and all the other learning you had to do in order to produce a piece of artwork that someone would want to buy. You have cameras, lenses, computer(s) and lots of other gear. Who is paying for that?
05-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ultimately, a photographer or a buyer that thinks a photographʻs worth is the paper and ink used to produce it is short-sighted.

So someone wants to buy my 13x19 framed print. The actual Ilford Ultra Premium Luster paper single sheet cost $2.65. The ink? I bought and cut my own mat board and foam board for $10. I buy my Nielsen frames online for $15. I go to a glassier and pay $10 for one sheet of glass. My cost (camera, computer, printer, software, mat cutter, gas, shipping, waste, and time not included) is $50. If I went with the OPʻs x2, it would be $100 for the seller. If I really take into account the time it took to create the photo, my $50 "profit" comes out to less than minimum wage.

Letʻs say, I send the image to a printer/framer like WhiteWall. They charge $180, so OP sells for x2 or $360.

What this shows me, is the cost/price factor will depend on the time invested in producing the finished framed print. If I do all the grunt work myself to keep my cost to produce down, that forced me to invest more time, and therefore x5 seems more reasonable ($50 output, my labor, $250 final price, $200 ʻprofitʻ). But if I just send my work out to a commercial printer framer ($180 output, $360 final price, $180 ʻprofitʻ), then x2 works.

As a pro, you have to have a business plan that takes into account all your expenses, time, and required income or profit.

As a hobbyist, you can charge anything or nothing. And if youʻre essentially gifting something to someone that you like, but they donʻt want it for free, then tell them your cost and time and let them decide what they want to pay you as the artist/photographer.
05-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For a friend - If they are competent to handle getting it printed and framed themselves, I'd send them the digital image and let them take care of it. If they might have a problem with that, I'd print it, frame it and give it to them free. If they don't want to accept it for free, I'd tell them to get me a six pack of good IPA. In other words, I don't like charging friends and I don't like degrading my talent by charging cut rate. Make a gift if you can, it will come back to you. If the money matters, charge costs. I'm an amateur. If you are a pro, charge the going rate.
05-13-2018, 02:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
For a friend
Not a friend in this instance, which is why I've posed the question. The suggestions above cover the cost of the print, the running around to organize it and a bit on top of that which seems fair.