Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Until it ships it's just vaporware.
It appears to me that they are running out of money and are involved in a crash course in manufacturing. Some months ago, when I was able to figure out their lens mount workings, my thoughts were that they would have better luck reviving the original early-50s era Exakta.*

Their 28 May 2018 update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reflexcamera/reflex-bringing-back-the-a.../posts/2198584

Steve

* A similarly quirky, but much better thought-out camera.

05-31-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Really how much of a market is there ...in this digital age...for either new or used film bodies ?
The market for film bodies here in the Portland, Oregon area is brisk, but the quality of available inventory is becoming increasingly marginal and even traditionally common bodies are hard to come by. For example, last week I spent a few hours at Bluemoon Camera (and Machine) in Portland. I went in to see a Komura 135/2.8 (pre-set) in Exakta mount. The lens was a bit rough (stiff focus), but I did enjoy talking to my long-time friend Mike once he got free from the customer he was working with. (The store was quite busy.)

I noticed that they had a good selection of Pentax medium format lenses (mostly 6x7) and asked Mike about 6x7/67 bodies. His response was that they were in high demand and that if one comes in, it is not likely to stay on the shelf for long. I was a little puzzled, but then took a short visual tour of the glass cases. They only had a two Pentax bodies (Spotmatic and K-1000, both over $150 body only) where two years ago there might have been a dozen including several MX and maybe an LX or two. The lens selection was similarly spare. As I worked my way down the case, the story was repeated for every brand. How does not even a single FM or FE series body and the entire Nikon line including lenses occupying about 3 ft2 sound? Now perhaps that might reflect their dedication to fully mechanical cameras and larger format.

I dunno, perhaps what I saw is the result of horders like myself.

Steve
05-31-2018, 04:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How does not even a single FM or FE series body and the entire Nikon line including lenses occupying about 3 ft2 sound?
Steve
In Honolulu, there is one analog store, Treehouse, with a full case of 35mm and medium format film cameras. However, what once filled these glass cases is now on eBay sold by these stores and are sold online before the foot traffic has a chance to see it in the brick and mortar.
06-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The market for film bodies here in the Portland, Oregon area is brisk, but the quality of available inventory is becoming increasingly marginal and even traditionally common bodies are hard to come by. For example, last week I spent a few hours at Bluemoon Camera (and Machine) in Portland. I went in to see a Komura 135/2.8 (pre-set) in Exakta mount. The lens was a bit rough (stiff focus), but I did enjoy talking to my long-time friend Mike once he got free from the customer he was working with. (The store was quite busy.)

I noticed that they had a good selection of Pentax medium format lenses (mostly 6x7) and asked Mike about 6x7/67 bodies. His response was that they were in high demand and that if one comes in, it is not likely to stay on the shelf for long. I was a little puzzled, but then took a short visual tour of the glass cases. They only had a two Pentax bodies (Spotmatic and K-1000, both over $150 body only) where two years ago there might have been a dozen including several MX and maybe an LX or two. The lens selection was similarly spare. As I worked my way down the case, the story was repeated for every brand. How does not even a single FM or FE series body and the entire Nikon line including lenses occupying about 3 ft2 sound? Now perhaps that might reflect their dedication to fully mechanical cameras and larger format.

I dunno, perhaps what I saw is the result of horders like myself.

Steve
Isn't Portland kind of like hipster central? They all want the film camera like in Stranger things?

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 07:44 PM ----------

It may be similar to antique tools. We have a place called Liberty Tool where you could buy antique planes, manual drills, scythe handles and blades, and all sorts of cool old gear, but since he started selling on Flea bay, his prices have gone up and the selection is worse. He was hiring someone to shoot images for the bay but wanted to pay commission for doing it. I considered it as good practice, but why would I use up my camera's clicks for a shady sounding deal like that? Just tracking sold items would be a nightmare.

06-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For as long as they last anyway. I did have two film cameras I just completely wore out.
My first 35mm rangefinder camera had a sticky leaf shutter, but that was true all along. I managed to ruin a Canon rangefinder camera and my first Pentax SLR by getting them wet. My last two film cameras, a Pentax SLR and a Canon SLR, still worked the last time I tried to use each ... in fact, since it can share lenses with my K-30, I still use my Super Program occasionally thirty-three years after I purchased it.
06-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The market for film bodies here in the Portland, Oregon area is brisk, but the quality of available inventory is becoming increasingly marginal and even traditionally common bodies are hard to come by.
Same up here.

Lots of used film gear sold in local camera stores, as well as two camera swap meets per year. Pretty amazing how many people come to these camera shows to buy used film gear.

Phil.
06-04-2018, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Isn't Portland kind of like hipster central? They all want the film camera like in Stranger things?
Yes, something like that. One can fairly reliably spot film camera users at events and festivals and places like farmer's markets. The amazing thing is the variety of cameras one might see with me adding a little to the mix with my Soviet stuff.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-04-2018 at 05:24 PM.
06-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes, something like that. One can fairly reliably spot film camera users at events and festivals places like farmer's markets. The amazing thing is the variety of cameras one might see with me adding a little to the mix with my Soviet stuff.

Steve
I go to the Farmer's market every week and I know exactly what you are talking about. It is just many of my hipsters are actually organic farmers up here. (or maybe just hippies!)