Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Canon shuts down production of it's last film camera

A sign of the times, as Canon shuts down production of it's last film camera. I don't know if any other camera manufacturer still makes film cameras, I know Pentax doesn't.

Just thinking back in 2006 I got my first digital camera a Panasonic with a Leica lens, or so Panasonic indicated. I didn't like digital at first and really had difficulty converting to digital from film. The big change came when my wife and I were on a bush plane trip to see a remote lake where her grandfather..a well known bush pilot in the 1920's to 1940's had emergency landed in 1931 and survived for two weeks, before he was rescued..in the dead of winter. But that's another story and a fascinating one if I do say so myself.

Anyways I was impressed by the digital's instant ability to display pictures, the ease of transferring to the computer to look at and the ability to make only the pictures I wanted...and of course I didn't have to buy film anymore. Don't get me wrong I do have film cameras and still use them, but for awhile I've felt that digital is here to stay and film...I'm not so sure.

Canon discontinuing their last film camera is significant to photographers, Canon and does make me wonder how long new film will be made and available.

http://http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004478492

Adam , I know this particular area id Pentax news and rumors, so I've probably placed this thread in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Last edited by lesmore49; 05-31-2018 at 09:58 AM.
05-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I wasn't sure where to put it.
Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com

Maybe.
05-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
Grr

Nikon are still selling the F6, and Leica the M7. Then there's all the Lomo cameras.
05-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lack of new film cameras need not spell the doom of film for two reasons.

First, there's so many used cameras in the world that it's easy to get a film camera. Canon was competing with that used market and it was not sustainable. Getting a film camera has never been easier or cheaper.

Second, the "retro" nature of film makes it natural that film buffs would turn their backs on "new" cameras. Retro film needs a retro camera. And if you have a retro camera then you need to buy new film for it.

05-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The lack of new film cameras need not spell the doom of film for two reasons.

First, there's so many used cameras in the world that it's easy to get a film camera. Canon was competing with that used market and it was not sustainable. Getting a film camera has never been easier or cheaper.

Second, the "retro" nature of film makes it natural that film buffs would turn their backs on "new" cameras. Retro film needs a retro camera. And if you have a retro camera then you need to buy new film for it.
For as long as they last anyway. I did have two film cameras I just completely wore out.
05-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't know if any other camera manufacturer still makes film cameras, I know Pentax doesn't.
For 35mm, Nikon and Leica are still available in the North America market and other brands exist in Asia from Chinese producers. KMZ (Russia) is rumored to be working on a new film body. There are a few Kickstarter projects, but no production cameras to-date. There are a fair number of hand-holdable large-format cameras, most of which accept 120 roll film holders as well as 4x5 sheets and, of course, all large format cameras are capable of shooting film.

To be honest, I would not be surprised if Cosina were to reenter the market at some point as available inventory of used gear becomes more limited and if demand remains fairly strong.

Steve
05-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #7

I think the existent film cameras, if periodically serviced, will likely outlast the production of film (which I think likely continue in some shape, although likely with ever raising expense, for a long time to come).

Ever film camera I use was manufactured in the 1950s or early 1960s. All of them operate perfectly. It's hard to imagine shelling out thousands for a F6 or EOSV1 when there are so many GREAT film cameras from ever decade of manufacture available.

05-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A sign of the times, as Canon shuts down production of it's last film camera.

Actually Canon stopped production of their last film camera, the EOS 1V in 2010. They've essentially just announced that their stockpile is now gone.

Although there are rumors that Nikon's F6 has stopped production, as far as I can tell, they are still produced in their Sendai, Japan plant.

And yes, the Leica M-A and MP rangefinders are still in production as are medium and large format cameras by Linhof, Horseman, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Toyo-View, Wista. Then you've got your Holgas and Lomography plus Fujifilm, Ilford, and Kodak disposable cameras. I don't consider the instant cameras as film cameras, but rather analog.

I don't think analog technology will be completely replaced by digital as long as photography is pursued by artists.

Last edited by Alex645; 05-31-2018 at 01:22 PM.
05-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A sign of the times, as Canon shuts down production of it's last film camera.
According to the articles I have read, Canon stopped production of any film cameras sometime in 2010.
This latest news is that they sold the last of their remaining stock.
05-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't like to link to that other place, but...

Leica M7 film camera comes to an end: Digital Photography Review
05-31-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

A sign of the times, as Canon shuts down production of it's last film camera. I don't know if any other camera manufacturer still makes film cameras, I know Pentax doesn't.

Just thinking back in 2006 I got my first digital camera a Panasonic with a Leica lens, or so Panasonic indicated. I didn't like digital at first and really had difficulty converting to digital from film. The big change came when my wife and I were on a bush plane trip to see a remote lake where her grandfather..a well known bush pilot in the 1920's to 1940's had emergency landed in 1931 and survived for two weeks, before he was rescued..in the dead of winter. But that's another story and a fascinating one if I do say so myself.

Anyways I was impressed by the digital's instant ability to display pictures, the ease of transferring to the computer to look at and the ability to make only the pictures I wanted...and of course I didn't have to buy film anymore. Don't get me wrong I do have film cameras and still use them, but for awhile I've felt that digital is here to stay and film...I'm not so sure.

Canon discontinuing their last film camera is significant to photographers, Canon and does make me wonder how long new film will be made and available.

Adam , I know this particular area id Pentax news and rumors, so I've probably placed this thread in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put it.
I loved digital the first time I tried it - no longer did I have to waste film taking picture after picture and then have to wait until the slides came back from the processor to find out which, if any, had worked as I hoped.

---------- Post added 05-31-18 at 04:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For as long as they last anyway. I did have two film cameras I just completely wore out.
I still have the two of my old film cameras that were still working when they 'retired', each still in its bag ready-to-go. I also have my mother's old Canon AE-1 in its bag. I use the Pentax Super Program on occasion, which leads my wife to ask "Why?"
05-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Actually, it's not the production of the EOS-1v that Canon just stopped (they did that back in 2010) but the sale of the camera to their distribution networks: it took eight years for the inventories made by Canon themselves to be fully sold to distributors.
05-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These guys going in opposite way:
Reflex: Bringing back the analogue SLR camera by REFLEX ? Kickstarter
05-31-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Until it ships it's just vaporware.
05-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually, it's not the production of the EOS-1v that Canon just stopped (they did that back in 2010) but the sale of the camera to their distribution networks: it took eight years for the inventories made by Canon themselves to be fully sold to distributors.
I have no idea how many Canon EOS-1v bodies Canon made and if they had a large stock of these final film bodies that were sold over the past eight years.

I wonder what the percentage would be or better yet, the actual numbers....of these film bodies vs the digital bodies they cranked out in enormous numbers ? Really how much of a market is there ...in this digital age...for either new or used film bodies ?

I like using my film bodies and I also like using hand held light meters, but photographers like me are not 'normal' ...at best we're probably regarded as 'eccentric'.

A couple of years ago I bought a new hand held light meter, a Sekonic L-398 Studio Master. I ordered it in from Sekonic through the camera store...as it is not something the dealer carries in normal stock. Kind of the same process I use when getting new Pentax equipment.

Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I saw a new film body of any manufacturer in stock at the couple of dealers I frequent. BTW, there's only a couple in my city left to frequent, but that's another story.

I don't think I would order a new film body, but then I am very fortunate to have a couple of very fine camera bodies to use, when shooting film.